The best topic

Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Since Canada Won't Work With Alberta, Alberta Needs To Start Looking At Different Options Including Becoming A US State

Started by Anonymous, January 29, 2016, 12:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"HAHAHA!  Inevitable!  Hahaha

Hear that ringing Shen?  It's reality calling.

I think instead of denying the obvious frustrations felt by the prairie provinces, Canada needs to figure out how it can be equally accommodating to Alberta and Saskatchewan as it is to Quebec and Ontario. If not than Canada needs to accept lower living standards when they say goodbye to about 1.3 million square kilometres and 5.4 million people. That's a lot of land, a lot of resources and a lot of talent.

A couple of members of the Saskatchewan party have also talked about changing the way they deal with Ottawa. All options are on the table except the status quo. Trudeau governments are particularly bad for national unity, so expect the demands for change to get louder as the years roll on.

Renee

Never.....going.....to......happen.

I highly doubt the majority of people in Alberta will give up being Canadian anymore than I'm going to give up being American. This discussion is quite amusing to watch.

Besides, secession is not in your blood. You wouldn't even know how to go about doing it. And do you really think your government in Ottawa will just let you walk out the door anymore than the US federal government let the southern states secede in 1861? You will be kept as part of Canada by force if push comes to shove.

Do not kid yourselves. Don't underestimate the ruthlessness of your government.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

RW

How about Albertans stop denying what the actual problem is which is a drop in oil prices causing reductions in production and the fact that the Albertan economy is a single note which is a huge problem (obviously).

Trudeau has been in for a few months now and you guys are already this pissy?  I'm going to go out on a limb and say the problem isn't Trudeau.  See, Harper was from Alberta so now that Alberta doesn't have the PM in the provincial pocket, I think there is this attitude that Trudeau can be bullied.

Tantrum away.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"Never.....going.....to......happen.

I highly doubt the majority of people in Alberta will give up being Canadian anymore than I'm going to give up being American. This discussion is quite amusing to watch.

Besides, secession is not in your blood. You wouldn't even know how to go about doing it. And do you really think your government in Ottawa will just let you walk out the door anymore than the US federal government let the southern states secede in 1861? You will be kept as part of Canada by force if push comes to shove.

Don't kid yourself. If Alberta and Saskatchewan play their hand right, they could see a very different response from Ottawa. I am old enough to remember a former premier of Alberta play a high stakes game of chess with another Trudeau. This Trudeau is not nearly as ruthless as his father was. Even if they are not really serious, always negotiate from strength not weakness.

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"How about Albertans stop denying what the actual problem is which is a drop in oil prices causing reductions in production and the fact that the Albertan economy is a single note which is a huge problem (obviously).

Trudeau has been in for a few months now and you guys are already this pissy?  I'm going to go out on a limb and say the problem isn't Trudeau.  See, Harper was from Alberta so now that Alberta doesn't have the PM in the provincial pocket, I think there is this attitude that Trudeau can be bullied.

Tantrum away.

Alberta's economy is fine as I showed you before. Low commodity prices are nothing new to Alberta and Saskatchewan(which is not feeling the pain as badly as we are). Do you forget that we paid down debt in low commodity prices before?

The problem is as a former premier said, the double and triple standards that are applied to different provinces. Alberta and Saskatchewan will do just fine with a reliable partner in Ottawa no matter what potash and oil prices are. We don't have that and never had that with a Trudeau at the helm.

Anyway, if you feel our economy is not as diverse as say BC, you won't have to worry about because we'll be gone. You can make your economy as diverse as you like because BC WILL be the new scapegoat. I hope you like poverty.

Anonymous

Reasons why the clock is ticking on Alberta's status within Canada.

Government Double Standard on Pipelines Is No Way to Build a Nation

http://www.newstalk770.com/2016/01/27/government-double-standard-on-pipelines-is-no-way-to-build-a-nation/?sc_ref=direct">http://www.newstalk770.com/2016/01/27/g ... ref=direct">http://www.newstalk770.com/2016/01/27/government-double-standard-on-pipelines-is-no-way-to-build-a-nation/?sc_ref=direct

In a poll in the Calgary Herald, more than 93% of respondents said the government has NOT improved the approval process.

http://calgaryherald.com/opinion/editorials/editorial-a-blow-to-pipelines">http://calgaryherald.com/opinion/editor ... -pipelines">http://calgaryherald.com/opinion/editorials/editorial-a-blow-to-pipelines

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "RW"How about Albertans stop denying what the actual problem is which is a drop in oil prices causing reductions in production and the fact that the Albertan economy is a single note which is a huge problem (obviously).

Tantrum away.

Alberta's economy is fine as I showed you before. Low commodity prices are nothing new to Alberta and Saskatchewan(which is not feeling the pain as badly as we are). Do you forget that we paid down debt in low commodity prices before?

The problem is as a former premier said, the double and triple standards that are applied to different provinces. Alberta and Saskatchewan will do just fine with a reliable partner in Ottawa no matter what potash and oil prices are. We don't have that and never had that with a Trudeau at the helm.

Anyway, if you feel our economy is not as diverse as say BC, you won't have to worry about because we'll be gone. You can make your economy as diverse as you like because BC WILL be the new scapegoat. I hope you like poverty.

It won't happen Shen.  Quit wasting your fingers entertaining this bullshit.  Figure a way to get what you want done that doesn't involve the pipe dream of fracturing our country.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"Never.....going.....to......happen.

You would be wrong to assume that Renee. We are not the states. We have a history of provinces pushing the limits when it comes to their interests. Alberta and Saskatchewan have a lot to offer the states. I see this as a bargaining chip, but a very effective one if played right. The Liberal party has a history of presiding over regional alienation and separatism. I am old enough to remember the last time this happened. The next five years could be interesting.

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"That means the clock is ticking?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You'll like having your exports held hostage because of a lack of market access. Gawd knows we do. Anyway, with the two most conservative provinces gone, you'll never have to worry about a Tory majority again(not that you would anyway when Justine rigs elections in his party's favour). Hope you like having your hands that pay the bills bitten. I say BC joins the US or becomes independent within two years of Alberta's departure.

RW

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "RW"That means the clock is ticking?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You'll like having your exports held hostage because of a lack of market access. Gawd knows we do. Anyway, with the two most conservative provinces gone, you'll never have to worry about a Tory majority again(not that you would anyway when Justine rigs elections in his party's favour). Hope you like having your hands that pay the bills bitten. I say BC joins the US or becomes independent within two years of Alberta's departure.

How many times has Quebec tried to separate and failed?  

Every time this separation shit comes up I want to fucking puke at the stupidity of it all.  I think we need something that says separation is NOT even an option.  If you don't like the way things are going, go someplace else.  Move to the states.  Go to Texas and make a go of it.  No fucks given.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Bricktop

Would this be an issue if you eliminated your state or provincial political structure, and had a single government?

RW

Quote from: "Mr Crowley"Would this be an issue if you eliminated your state or provincial political structure, and had a single government?

Considering the issue is with the federal government, I'd say yes.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Romero

Quote from: "Shen Li"If nothing else this would be a good bargaining chip. Canada needs Alberta a lot more than Alberta needs Canada. In fact, people in this province would be much better off without Canada. The US would almost certainly accept Alberta into the fold.

http://cdn01.dailycaller.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Obama-smiling-Getty-Images.jpg">

Anonymous

I roll my eyes that people are still peddling the myth that Alberta has done nothing to diversify it's economy. Only Newfoundland has diversified more than Alberta. The reason at least prior to Jim Prentice and Rachel Notley was it's super competitive tax policies and zero net debt. In 2012, Calgary Economic Development lists 123 companies headquartered in Calgary that report annual revenues of $100 million or more. Dozens have revenues in excess of $1 billion and, somewhat surprisingly, 12 of that number are not oil and gas companies. Both of our class one rail companies have their logistical centres in Alberta.

Ontario is the province that most desperately needs to diversify away from it's dependence on a declining auto sector. Thirteen straight years of sub par economic performance. The former economic engine of Canada cannot even get going with a 70 cent dollar. We got a multi billion dollar bailout from the previous government for our number one industry and Alberta gets the door slammed in it's face by this government. I can understand the frustration the people of Alberta must feel. But, we cannot afford to lose Alberta. We could survive without Quebec, Newfoundland or Nova Soctia, but we are done as a nation without Alberta.