The best topic

Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Since Canada Won't Work With Alberta, Alberta Needs To Start Looking At Different Options Including Becoming A US State

Started by Anonymous, January 29, 2016, 12:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

RW

Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "Shen Li"Canada's borders might change? Big fucking deal. It would not be the first country to lose territory and it sure as fuck would not be the last.

If the case for an exit from confederation is only economic than give Canada a chance to make the system work better for the regions. I realize times change and our system may need change too. But for God sakes, don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

You mean take part in our democratic governance rather than threatening to leave when things don't go Alberta's way?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Provincial secession is NOT a right according to both Canadian or international law:

"Secession is recognized as a possibility, not a right. A provincial government has no right to appoint itself as the government of an independent State. It cannot, legally, secede unilaterally without first securing a negotiated agreement with the Canadian State. It doesn't have that right, either under international law or domestic law. The Supreme Court of Canada confirmed, in its 1998 opinion, that "the secession of a province from Canada must be considered, in legal terms, to require an amendment to the Constitution, which perforce requires negotiation"(para. 84) "within the existing constitutional framework" (para. 149)."

China eliminated the right to secede from it's constitution. But what does that really mean? That China will use force? Will Canada use force if provinces seek a better deal outside of Canada? Canada would have to negotiate the terms of exit, but block it? I doubt it.

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"
Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "Shen Li"Canada's borders might change? Big fucking deal. It would not be the first country to lose territory and it sure as fuck would not be the last.

If the case for an exit from confederation is only economic than give Canada a chance to make the system work better for the regions. I realize times change and our system may need change too. But for God sakes, don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

You mean take part in our democratic governance rather than threatening to leave when things don't go Alberta's way?

It's Quebec that gets it's own way. Alberta and Saskatchewan just want a system that supports their tremendous contributions to Canada. Leaving Canada would be a last resort.

RW

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "RW"Provincial secession is NOT a right according to both Canadian or international law:

"Secession is recognized as a possibility, not a right. A provincial government has no right to appoint itself as the government of an independent State. It cannot, legally, secede unilaterally without first securing a negotiated agreement with the Canadian State. It doesn't have that right, either under international law or domestic law. The Supreme Court of Canada confirmed, in its 1998 opinion, that "the secession of a province from Canada must be considered, in legal terms, to require an amendment to the Constitution, which perforce requires negotiation"(para. 84) "within the existing constitutional framework" (para. 149)."

China eliminated the right to secede from it's constitution. But what does that really mean? That China will use force? Will Canada use force if provinces seek a better deal outside of Canada? Canada would have to negotiate the terms of exit, but block it? I doubt it.

I love how you guys keep throwing in the Republic of China into this conversation like it's a comparable situation.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

I love how you guys keep throwing in the Republic of China into this conversation like it's a comparable situation.

You sound like a member of the standing committee of the CCP?

Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"What about Aboriginal self determination? Is it a good thing or a bad thing?

They don't want actual independence.

RW

You sound like a member of the standing committee of the CCP?

Or maybe I sound like a person who loves her country AS A WHOLE and who is tired of this threat.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Or maybe I sound like a person who loves her country AS A WHOLE and who is tired of this threat.

This touches a raw nerve with you. I was working overseas when Quebec had it's last referendum. I wanted the yes side to win. If Parizeau had declared Quebec independent the next day, our lives would go on. I don't see Alberta and Saskatchewan leaving Canada anytime soon, but if they do life will go on for you. There would be big changes for the national economy as the Seoul brother pointed out. But that's not necessarily a bad thing either.