Replies: 10402
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 06:52:08 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

deadly earthquake rocks my home town of Tainan

Started by Anonymous, February 05, 2016, 09:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

I have received text messages from my relatives..

They are safe.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35508475">http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35508475

An earthquake has toppled several buildings in the south Taiwan city of Tainan, killing at least three people.

Rescue teams were trying to reach people trapped in rubble after the magnitude 6.4 quake struck early on Saturday as people were sleeping.

A baby and one other person died after a high-rise residential block collapsed. More than 220 people have been rescued.

President Ma Ying-jeou is on his way to Tainan, a city of two million people.

The quake was shallow, meaning its effects would have been amplified, the US Geological Survey (USGS) said.

Television pictures show rescue workers frantically trying to reach people trapped in collapsed buildings, using ladders to climb over piles of rubble.

http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/3D75/production/_88133751_88133699.jpg">

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/3C35/production/_88131451_88131450.jpg">

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/25A1/production/_88133690_88131454.jpg">

Taiwan's official news agency said at least 23 people had been injured in the multi-storey residential building, where about 200 people were believed to be living in about 60 households.

Tainan resident Emma told BBC World News people feared further tremors. "I felt the quake, it was terrible," she said.

Irving Chu was in a hostel in central Tainan. He said he had been woken up by a tremor lasting about 40 seconds.

"It was a violent jerking motion," he told BBC World News. "The entire room was shaking. We were just holding on to things. We were shaken up."

Barry Knapp, a British man in Taiwan, said he was 240km (150 miles) north of Tainan but still felt the tremor.

"I was just in bed, about to fall asleep, and shaking started happening," he told BBC Radio 5 Live.

Renee

Thankfully your relatives are safe. Damaged property can be rebuilt, lost lives not so much.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"Thankfully your relatives are safe. Damaged property can be rebuilt, lost lives not so much.

Absolutely Renee...Taiwanese are a hearty lot who take it in stride.

Anonymous

This is God's punishment for voting for the splittist DPP. Sorry, bad Pat Robertson analogy.

I hope our compatriots in Southern Taiwan are safe and life gets back to normal quickly.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li[b"]This is God's punishment for voting for the splittist DPP[/b]. Sorry, bad Pat Robertson analogy.

I hope our compatriots in Southern Taiwan are safe and life gets back to normal quickly.

:001_rolleyes:

Annie

Glad your family is safe but sad there's so much damage.  It's good that people can be strong, keep their heads up and rebuild.  Were there any injuries or just a lot of damage?
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Twenty Dollars

Seems like a lot of damage for a 6.4?

In 2012 I was working on this job site. Think it was in May. We had a 7.6 shake. Epicenter was about 40 miles south. It started out strong, lasted about 10 seconds. Workers were freaking out. We were advised to move to higher ground for fear of tsunami. None occurred. Surprisingly it caused little damage. No high rises here.  I lost about 10% of the water from my pool. Looks like it sloshed over the coping. That shaking is unmistakable.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Twenty Dollars"Seems like a lot of damage for a 6.4?

In 2012 I was working on this job site. Think it was in May. We had a 7.6 shake. Epicenter was about 40 miles south. It started out strong, lasted about 10 seconds. Workers were freaking out. We were advised to move to higher ground for fear of tsunami. None occurred. Surprisingly it caused little damage. No high rises here.  I lost about 10% of the water from my pool. Looks like it sloshed over the coping. That shaking is unmistakable.

Maybe it was because of where it struck Twenty Dollars..

Taiwan has had some devastating earthquakes..

I have felt tremors in Taiwan and it's scary..

For that reason alone I would never want to live there again.

cc

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Renee"Thankfully your relatives are safe. Damaged property can be rebuilt, lost lives not so much.

Seems so but I'm glad your kin are safe

Saw it on news last night, so many buildings partially collapses and tipped to one side
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"

Seems so but I'm glad your kin are safe

Saw it on news last night, so many buildings partially collapses and tipped to one side

I've spent the morning trying to get as much information as I can..

I did not sleep well last night.

RW

That has to be terrifying for you Fash.  I hope everyone stays safe and well.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"That has to be terrifying for you Fash.  I hope everyone stays safe and well.

I have a lot of relatives and many close friends in Tainan city..

So far, only property and vehicle damage..

Still lots of friends and acquaintances I have yet to hear from.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Twenty Dollars"Seems like a lot of damage for a 6.4?

Maybe it was because of where it struck Twenty Dollars..

Taiwan has had some devastating earthquakes..

I have felt tremors in Taiwan and it's scary..

For that reason alone I would never want to live there again.

It seems like the [size=200]CHINESE PROVINCE[/size] of Taiwan gets more earthquakes than Japan.

cc

Prolly China has found a way to cause it to happen there

ac_smile
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Bricktop

Quote from: "Shen Li"
It seems like the [size=200]CHINESE PROVINCE[/size] of Taiwan gets more earthquakes than Japan.

Give it up, Jiang Qing.