Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 03:39:45 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

deadly earthquake rocks my home town of Tainan

Started by Anonymous, February 05, 2016, 09:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bricktop

Quote from: "Shen Li"
It seems like the [size=200]CHINESE PROVINCE[/size] of Taiwan gets more earthquakes than Japan.

Give it up, Jiang Qing.

Twenty Dollars

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Twenty Dollars"Seems like a lot of damage for a 6.4?

In 2012 I was working on this job site. Think it was in May. We had a 7.6 shake. Epicenter was about 40 miles south. It started out strong, lasted about 10 seconds. Workers were freaking out. We were advised to move to higher ground for fear of tsunami. None occurred. Surprisingly it caused little damage. No high rises here.  I lost about 10% of the water from my pool. Looks like it sloshed over the coping. That shaking is unmistakable.

Maybe it was because of where it struck Twenty Dollars..

Taiwan has had some devastating earthquakes..

I have felt tremors in Taiwan and it's scary..

For that reason alone I would never want to live there again.

It seems like the [size=200]CHINESE PROVINCE[/size] of Taiwan gets more earthquakes than Japan.

The 7.6 I encountered was in Centeral America.

cc

There is so much more to it than just the strength number ... type of quake, material, material between center and impact area being assessed, depth, and more ...... for some. center being underwater takes from impact on land
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

easter bunny

I hope all the people you care about are safe Fash.

*hugs*

Anonymous

Quote from: "easter bunny"I hope all the people you care about are safe Fash.

*hugs*

Thank you easter bunny.

acc_hugz

Anonymous

Taiwan earthquake: Eight-year-old rescued after 60 hours

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35519276">http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35519276

An eight-year-old girl has been pulled alive from the rubble of a building in Taiwan more than 60 hours after it was destroyed by an earthquake.

Rescuers in Tainan City freed three others on Monday, including the girl's aunt, as they raced to find more than 100 residents buried in the ruins.

At least 38 people died in the magnitude 6.4 earthquake on Saturday.

One of those rescued was a woman found lying underneath her husband's body. Their infant son was found dead nearby.

The woman, Tsao Wei-ling, was conscious and was taken to hospital.

Rescuers said it appeared her husband's body had protected her from a falling beam. Five of the couple's family members remain missing, Taiwan's government-run Central News Agency reported.

Officials said late on Sunday that 310 people had been rescued from the rubble of the building, with 100 of them taken to hospital.

A six-month-old baby girl pulled alive from the rubble died a few hours later in hospital.

The 17 storeys of the Weiguan Jinlong (Golden Dragon) apartment complex crumpled as the quake struck just before 04:00 local time on Saturday (20:00 GMT Friday), as Taiwan was beginning the lunar new year holiday

An investigation has been launched into whether the construction of the building contributed to its collapse.

Tainan City Mayor William Lai said survivors had reported legal "violations" in its construction but gave no further details.

Mr Lai said he had contacted judicial units and that prosecutors had formally launched an investigation into the construction of the apartment building.

"We've also commissioned three independent bodies to preserve evidence during the rescue so we can assist the residents if they want to file lawsuits in the future," he said.

"We will hold the builder responsible if they have broken the law."

A man rescued on Monday had been talking to rescuers throughout the night. He was pulled free just before midday local time.

Annie

If the builder was negligible and is the reason for it crumbling as it did, then he should be held accountable for all the deaths that could have been totally preventable.  That's friggin horrible how someone could put people's lives in danger while cutting corners for more money  :sad:
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote from: "GrAnnie"If the builder was negligible and is the reason for it crumbling as it did, then he should be held accountable for all the deaths that could have been totally preventable.  That's friggin horrible how someone could put people's lives in danger while cutting corners for more money  :sad:

I don't know if that's the case Grannie..

It might be, but it could be lawyers who are looking for more money..

We'll have to wait until the investigation is complete..

For now, I'm so happy they found survivors after sixty hours.