Last post: Today at 08:47:48 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

A

carbs may be as likely to cause lung cancer as smoking

Started by Anonymous, March 10, 2016, 02:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Oh my there will be less rice for us.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/10/health/carbs-and-lung-cancer/index.html">http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/10/health/ca ... index.html">http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/10/health/carbs-and-lung-cancer/index.html

Carb lovers among us could be at higher risk of developing lung cancer, even if they have never smoked, according to a new study.

But it's not just any carbs. Those with a high glycemic index -- meaning they raise your blood sugar the most -- are the ones associated with increased lung cancer risk. Think white bread, white rice and russet potatoes. In contrast, the carbs in foods such as pasta, oatmeal and sweet potatoes have a low glycemic index.

Researchers asked nearly 2,000 people in the Houston area who had recently been diagnosed with lung cancer about the foods that they typically ate in the last year, and compared their reported diets with those of about 2,400 healthy individuals.

They also asked them about whether they engaged in behaviors that are known to be lung cancer risk factors, such as smoking, or thought to be risk factors, such as drinking alcohol.

The researchers found that people who said their diets contained the most high glycemic index foods were 49% more likely to have been diagnosed with lung cancer than those whose consumption of these foods was in the bottom 20th percentile.

The link between foods with high glycemic index and lung cancer was especially strong among people who said they had never smoked, or had smoked fewer than 100 cigarettes in their life. Consumption of these foods was associated with 2.25 times greater likelihood of having lung cancer among "never smokers," but it only increased the risk by 31% among smokers.

"The risk seems to be high among 'never smokers,' suggesting glycemic index is an important dietary risk factor," said Xifeng Wu, professor of epidemiology at the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center. Wu led the research, which was published in the March issue of the journal Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention.

For smokers, that activity is the dominant risk factor for developing lung cancer and has a much bigger impact than diet, Wu said. Smoking has been blamed for about 85% of lung cancer cases in developed countries.

Previous research has linked a number of other foods, such as red meat and dairy products, with higher rates of lung cancer, while consumption of fruits and vegetables has been associated with lower rates.

Researchers aren't sure why there is a connection, but the thinking is that high glycemic index foods could drive up lung cancer risk because they cause blood sugar spikes that stimulate the secretion of insulin. Insulin could, in turn, increase factors in the body that tell cells, including potentially cancerous cells, to ramp up their growth.

Sugar itself has been shown to increase the risk of heart disease. There is also an increased risk for obesity and associated diseases, including Type 2 diabetes and cancer, which is why the updated U.S. dietary guidelines place new restrictions on sugar consumption.

The current study is not the first time that high glycemic index foods have been implicated in cancer. Studies have suggested that these foods could increase the risk of ovarian cancer, thyroid cancer and colorectal cancer. "However, from all of these studies the results have been inconclusive," with some studies finding an association and others not finding an association, Wu said.

There have also been suggestions through the decades that diets that are very low in carbohydrates in general could help control the progression of breast and other cancers, although the data is sparse.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

QuoteHowever, from all of these studies the results have been inconclusive," with some studies finding an association and others not finding an association

This

RW

It's fear mongering garbage.  CNN will run with anything.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"It's fear mongering garbage.  CNN will run with anything.

I'm not losing sleep over it either.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"Oh my there will be less rice for us.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/10/health/carbs-and-lung-cancer/index.html">http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/10/health/ca ... index.html">http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/10/health/carbs-and-lung-cancer/index.html

Carb lovers among us could be at higher risk of developing lung cancer, even if they have never smoked, according to a new study.

But it's not just any carbs. Those with a high glycemic index -- meaning they raise your blood sugar the most -- are the ones associated with increased lung cancer risk. Think white bread, white rice and russet potatoes. In contrast, the carbs in foods such as pasta, oatmeal and sweet potatoes have a low glycemic index.

Researchers asked nearly 2,000 people in the Houston area who had recently been diagnosed with lung cancer about the foods that they typically ate in the last year, and compared their reported diets with those of about 2,400 healthy individuals.

They also asked them about whether they engaged in behaviors that are known to be lung cancer risk factors, such as smoking, or thought to be risk factors, such as drinking alcohol.

The researchers found that people who said their diets contained the most high glycemic index foods were 49% more likely to have been diagnosed with lung cancer than those whose consumption of these foods was in the bottom 20th percentile.

The link between foods with high glycemic index and lung cancer was especially strong among people who said they had never smoked, or had smoked fewer than 100 cigarettes in their life. Consumption of these foods was associated with 2.25 times greater likelihood of having lung cancer among "never smokers," but it only increased the risk by 31% among smokers.

"The risk seems to be high among 'never smokers,' suggesting glycemic index is an important dietary risk factor," said Xifeng Wu, professor of epidemiology at the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center. Wu led the research, which was published in the March issue of the journal Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention.

For smokers, that activity is the dominant risk factor for developing lung cancer and has a much bigger impact than diet, Wu said. Smoking has been blamed for about 85% of lung cancer cases in developed countries.

Previous research has linked a number of other foods, such as red meat and dairy products, with higher rates of lung cancer, while consumption of fruits and vegetables has been associated with lower rates.

Researchers aren't sure why there is a connection, but the thinking is that high glycemic index foods could drive up lung cancer risk because they cause blood sugar spikes that stimulate the secretion of insulin. Insulin could, in turn, increase factors in the body that tell cells, including potentially cancerous cells, to ramp up their growth.

Sugar itself has been shown to increase the risk of heart disease. There is also an increased risk for obesity and associated diseases, including Type 2 diabetes and cancer, which is why the updated U.S. dietary guidelines place new restrictions on sugar consumption.

The current study is not the first time that high glycemic index foods have been implicated in cancer. Studies have suggested that these foods could increase the risk of ovarian cancer, thyroid cancer and colorectal cancer. "However, from all of these studies the results have been inconclusive," with some studies finding an association and others not finding an association, Wu said.

There have also been suggestions through the decades that diets that are very low in carbohydrates in general could help control the progression of breast and other cancers, although the data is sparse.

When I quit smoking fourteen years ago, I had more wind. I know people that have quit chips, white bread and spuds. None of them said they had more wind because of their decision. They did lose a bit of weight though.

easter bunny

CNN has a lot of commercials by big pharma. I wouldn't put it past them to run stories that boost business.  :sneaky2:

Anonymous

Quote from: "easter bunny"

CNN has a lot of commercials by big pharma. I wouldn't put it past them to run stories that boost business.  :sneaky2:

In all fairness, CNN is not the only one carrying this.

easter bunny

Quote from: "Herman"

True. I just ignore all these fear mongering stories to avoid the extra cancer risk caused by anxiety.  ac_unsure

Anonymous

True. I just ignore all these fear mongering stories to avoid the extra cancer risk caused by anxiety.  ac_unsure

I cannot keep up with all the things that are one week bad for you and the next are antioxidant rich. Coffee and chocolate for example.

easter bunny

I cannot keep up with all the things that are one week bad for you and the next are antioxidant rich. Coffee and chocolate for example.

You see! They're trying to get people to binge and purge! It's a conspiracy I tell ya!  :laugh:

Anonymous

You see! They're trying to get people to binge and purge! It's a conspiracy I tell ya!  :laugh:

I like a good barrel wash binge.

Anonymous

I am not going to panic just yet easter bunny, but I could see high glycemic foods being less healthy.

Anonymous

I read it online in local news.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!