The best topic

Replies: 7564
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 04:29:37 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Thiel

Comic Con

Started by keeper, April 11, 2016, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "kiebers"
Quote from: "keeper"I'm still WAITING for Annie to chime in if she's going?????

You could shave your head and go as Professor Xavier.

Kiebs, how the fuck are ya, you sexy biatch?

kiebers

Quote from: "Shen Li"

Hanging in there. Waiting for oil things to happen...LOL  How you doing? Fixing to have that baby?
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"

Hanging in there. Waiting for oil things to happen...LOL  How you doing? Fixing to have that baby?

Last day of work tomorrow stud. I'm due the end of the month. Taking two weeks av and then I'm off on maternity leave.  :yahoo:

Annie

Oh no, I won't be going to that one. I'm in Van and Calgary is a bit far. I just go to the ones in Van area. My brother goes to the Seattle ones though.
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Annie

The end of the month, Shen? Yay! Finally huh? :thumbup:  ac_dance
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote from: "Annie"

Oh no, I won't be going to that one. I'm in Van and Calgary is a bit far. I just go to the ones in Van area. My brother goes to the Seattle ones though.

I live in Calgary and I will not be going.

shin

I've always wanted to go to one of these Comic cons closer to home. I used to be an avid collector, but lost interest in the early 80s ended up selling my collection at a big loss, then I started collecting again when I saw what Jim Lee was doing with the X-men. They soon when to crap after the formation of Image and I stopped buying new books again, but I held onto what I was able to find this time around... about 500 books, mostly Marvel... nothing really worth more than Amazing Spider-man #300. The oldest would a fair copy of Uncanny X-men #94.

I often criticize the current state of the comic book industry online. They use retconning and alternate universe ideas way too often to work their ways out of unsolvable plots.

JOE

Quote from: "shin"I've always wanted to go to one of these Comic cons closer to home. I used to be an avid collector, but lost interest in the early 80s ended up selling my collection at a big loss, then I started collecting again when I saw what Jim Lee was doing with the X-men. They soon when to crap after the formation of Image and I stopped buying new books again, but I held onto what I was able to find this time around... about 500 books, mostly Marvel... nothing really worth more than Amazing Spider-man #300. The oldest would a fair copy of Uncanny X-men #94.

I often criticize the current state of the comic book industry online. They use retconning and alternate universe ideas way too often to work their ways out of unsolvable plots.

Yeah, many of the newer comic books have too much going on, too many characters, too many villains, too many sub-plots, too many 'behind-the-scenes' mind games to the point that it becomes a mish-mash and the whole thang becomes incoherent.

One of my favorite issues of all time, regardless of genre, brand or label, was Avengers #2 (1963):

http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/avengers/2-1.jpg">

It's about a phantom-like creature who comes from outer space, lands on earth, and scares the heebie-jeebies out of the earthling population by assuming their physical identities. It doesn't matter that the characters are dressed in superhero costumes. The plot is very similar to today's movies or recent TV episodes. A villain has the ability to transform itself into a human likeness such as in Terminator 2:

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8h8d2XLWKY

...so in this regard, the writers of the Avengers #2 story were quite advanced, and their ideas foreshadowed stories which would later appear to have borrowed (stole?) from them.

Anonymous

I had boxes full of classic comic books. I regret giving them away. I didn't save one single edition for myself.

keeper

When my older brother found God he burnt everything!!! , Records , Comics..... EVERYTHING!

JOE

Quote from: "keeper"When my older brother found God he burnt everything!!! , Records , Comics..... EVERYTHING!

...too bad.

Just out of idle curiousity, was it because of a girl/woman he knew in his Church?

And he wanted to please her by destroying everything he thought might turn her off?

keeper

It was because of a girl (his current wife) and no, He did it so my brother and i wouldnt have them, Bad influence and all that, make your own mistakes , dont follow in my foot steps and all that bullshit.

Annie

Ohmygawd that's so sad when comics are burnt  :sad: There should be a law against that!  :rules:  My hubby and brother are both comic collectors.  Hubby has crates of them and my brother has several rare from Superman.

keeper

I would bet there were comics worth money and records worth a ton.

Anonymous

I had comics as kid, but they were not as important to me as they were to you city boys and girls. I liked riding atc's and shooting gophers better.