Last post: Today at 11:58:59 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Guilty Pleasures

Started by Renee, April 11, 2016, 09:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Odinson

Odinson

Renee

\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Renee

\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Odinson

Odinson

The special effects suck but John Williams is always good.

">

Odinson

Renee

cc

We turned it up and danced

Thanks for that one Renee
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Renee

Quote from: cc post_id=385223 time=1601623526 user_id=88

:thumbup:

There are a lot of versions of that song out there and many are recorded by Conway himself. They are all a little bit differently nuanced but that one is pretty good. I have the original 1959 version on an old Ipod somewhere.

Glenn Campbell did a good one back in I think 69-70 as well and believe it or not, Jon Bon Jovi did a decent live rendition in the late 90s.

cc

Quote from: Renee post_id=385290 time=1601658399 user_id=156

There are a lot of versions of that song out there and many are recorded by Conway himself. They are all a little bit differently nuanced but that one is pretty good. I have the original 1959 version on an old Ipod somewhere.

Glenn Campbell did a good one back in I think 69-70 as well and believe it or not, Jon Bon Jovi did a decent live rendition in the late 90s.

We both have always loved male singers with strong male voice who know how to build up to a crescendo and have the range to pull it off with exceptionally high notes for a male at the finish. Conway was in that select  group and possibly the starter of it all. Van Dyke also comes to mind

Orbison prolly was  the ultimate at that .. solid male voice slowly building it up for the kill  ending by taking it into higher frequencies  than many females can go

This one melts me / takes into lalaland in those high frequency moments no matter how many times I hear it .. He goes places males are not supposed to go

This was from that special night when 6 top stars set up a freebee tribute, accompanying him in a very small dinner club setting "Roy Orbison and Friends: A Black and White Night" in the last year of his life  (you will see several  of them in the background in this one .. notice KD as one of his doo wap girls just before he picked up on her and helped take her to the top )

(Yes, we have the DVD of the entire special night)

">

In this one just weeks before he died, class act that he was, he allowed KD to share the magic parts

">

KD was also helped by Cohen after Roy died and she is astounding magic on his "Hallelujah" (another of those build up to high frequency crescendo pieces of music)

Renee

:howdy:
Quote from: cc post_id=385295 time=1601662155 user_id=88
Quote from: Renee post_id=385290 time=1601658399 user_id=156

We both have always loved male singers with strong male voice who know how to build up to a crescendo and have the range to pull it off with exceptionally high notes for a male at the finish. Conway was in that select  group and possibly the starter of it all. Van Dyke also comes to mind

Orbison prolly was  the ultimate at that .. solid male voice slowly building it up for the kill  ending by taking it into higher frequencies  than many females can go

This one melts me / takes into lalaland in those high frequency moments no matter how many times I hear it .. He goes places males are not supposed to go

This was from that special night when 6 top stars set up a freebee tribute, accompanying him in a very small dinner club setting "Roy Orbison and Friends: A Black and White Night" in the last year of his life  (you will see several  of them in the background in this one .. notice KD as one of his doo wap girls just before he picked up on her and helped take her to the top )

(Yes, we have the DVD of the entire special night)

">

In this one just weeks before he died, class act that he was, he allowed KD to share the magic parts

">

KD was also helped by Cohen after Roy died and she is astounding magic on his "Hallelujah" (another of those build up to high frequency crescendo pieces of music)

I've seen The Black and White Night concert. In fact I remember seeing it when it was originally broadcast on HBO. I was probably about 14 and a freshman in HS at the the time. That room had a lot of talent packed into it; The Boss, Elvis Costello, Tom Waits, and beside K.D. Lang the backup singers included Jackson Brown, J.D. Souther, Bonnie Raitt and I believe Jennifer Warrens. If memory serves I think T Bone Burnnet was in there someplace as well.

Roy Orbison had an amazing voice. He had a 4 octave range and a glass shattering falsetto.

cc

Quoteand I believe Jennifer Warrens. If memory serves I think T Bone Burnnet was in there someplace as well.

Yes, they both were there also were.

He often shared Jennifer with Lenny Cohen and KD did Hallelujah solo for him

C'ept when he could get Sharron Robinson on board .. One could feel the raw sexual energy between those 2  ..  magic

Renee

Speaking of "Crying", I've always loved this version by Don McLean. My dad took me to see Don McLean and the Jordanaires at Carnegie Hall when I was around 11 years old. My mom was supposed to go but she came down with the flu so dad took me. I remember it being the day before Thanksgiving and at the time I was kind of bored by it all but when I hear the old recordings of that Christmas concert, I realize now how good it really was.

">

cc

Excellent  .. He has the "feel" / essense of the song and considerable range

That must have been a great experience for you ... albeit appreciated when you were older

Print
User actions