Replies: 10368
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 01:29:38 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Erica Mena

Phrases that don't translate so well from your language of choice

Started by shin, July 25, 2016, 10:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shin

I was going to start a thread asking you guys what "Feng shue" means, because the only example I've ever partially understood was "when designing a house, never build the bathroom near to the kitchen." Can anyone here elaborate?

Then, I thought there are some French speaking people who might have a lot of phrases that make "deja vu" and "savoir faire" seem par for the course. I'd love to hear more phrases of the sort.

Also, whenever we have a language being spoken which is a second language to some and a first to others, the syntax of slang words can throw the lot off kilter.

What words or phrases can you think of that you've been unsure of their meaning across languages, or maybe you can play the role of the educator and tell us what these constructs of semantics decipher into among stranger tongues?

:tease:

Anonymous

Quote from: "shin"I was going to start a thread asking you guys what "Feng shue" means, because the only example I've ever partially understood was "when designing a house, never build the bathroom near to the kitchen." Can anyone here elaborate?

Then, I thought there are some French speaking people who might have a lot of phrases that make "deja vu" and "savoir faire" seem par for the course. I'd love to hear more phrases of the sort.

Also, whenever we have a language being spoken which is a second language to some and a first to others, the syntax of slang words can throw the lot off kilter.

What words or phrases can you think of that you've been unsure of their meaning across languages, or maybe you can play the role of the educator and tell us what these constructs of semantics decipher into among stranger tongues?

:tease:

I am Ukrainian, but English is my first language. The old lady's first language is not English, so I will ask her. I have lived in a lot of countries where English was not an official language.

Renee

Growing up in a household where multiple languages were spoken I learned quite a few words that simply do not translate into English well. This is especially true of the modern Gaelic which my dad's side of the family speaks.

The Irish language is the original "Goidelic" language that is spoken in Ireland, Western Scotland and Wales. Although there are differences within the various dialects, it's acknowledged origin is Ireland.  Gaelic is a insular and somewhat unique Celtic language spoken regionally and has very little common ancestry with either the dead Celtic languages of continental Europe, Old English or Middle English. So words and phrases don't always translate well.

Words in Gaelic can and do have multiple and seemingly unrelated meanings when translated.

For example the word  "caob"....common translation is "a clod" or a "lump" but it's Gaelic meaning is more than that.   "Caob " means a shovel full of clay or dirt. It can also mean a fork full of hay, or a layer of something or even a sloppy or untidy person.

The word "tnuthach"...common translation is "envious or jealous" but again it has more meaning than just that. It can also mean "contentious", quarrelsome", "a rival" or in some cases "a bigot".

Those are just two examples that I can think of off the top of my confused head. Gaelic is a very complex and confusing language that depends entirely on vernacular, inflection and useage. It varies in it's verb and noun usage from region to region and from clan to clan. It's difficult to learn and my understanding of it is somewhat limited.

It's my understanding that the Gaelic that I've been exposed to is sort of a mixed bag of dialects. It's almost what is now called "Standard" or "An Caighdean". It was officially adopted in the 1950s and it's taught in Irish schools as a compromise or a bridge between the more common dialects.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

I was born in Seoul, but I attended all schools in Canada. As a Kyopo, one of the hardest concepts for me to grasp is 스킨십 or skinship.  It involves a range of common and not so common practices including: draping arms over each other, sharing umbrellas, sitting in each other's laps, massaging, stroking, toying with each other's hair, holding hands, playing with fingers, resting head on another's lap or thigh, playing with ears, etc.

https://randomkorealife.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/20140717-225102-82262174.jpg?w=520">

https://randomkorealife.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/20140715-105758-39478147.jpg?w=520">

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"I was born in Seoul, but I attended all schools in Canada. As a Kyopo, one of the hardest concepts for me to grasp is 스킨십 or skinship.  It involves a range of common and not so common practices including: draping arms over each other, sharing umbrellas, sitting in each other's laps, massaging, stroking, toying with each other's hair, holding hands, playing with fingers, resting head on another's lap or thigh, playing with ears, etc.

https://randomkorealife.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/20140717-225102-82262174.jpg?w=520">

https://randomkorealife.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/20140715-105758-39478147.jpg?w=520">

I have seen that in Japan and Korea. It is pretty weird.

Renee

I think what you are talking about, translated into English is, for all intents and purposes.... "homosexuality" :laugh3:

Just kidding.....well maybe.  :laugh:
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"I think what you are talking about, translated into English is, for all intents and purposes.... "homosexuality" :laugh3:

you cannot blame anyone for assuming they are gay.

The other about Korea is all the honourifics. used to reflect a person's position and age. If you do not use it in Korea, you are considered rude. If you do it here, it is considered obsequious. I would not like working in Korea.

Anonymous

In Mandarin language films the translation into English is often not very good.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"I think what you are talking about, translated into English is, for all intents and purposes.... "homosexuality" :laugh3:

We have some really fruity styles for guys in China too.

Anonymous

JOE

I was in this French immersion class in Quebec.

We were having the conversational part of the day.

I said to a pretty you women, "Je t'aime," which I thought meant "I like it."

She blushed. And then informed me, that it meant, "I love you."

She then informed me that I was looking for the phrase, "J'aime ¢a."

Angry White Male

There are a lot of phrases that don't translate well.  My native language is German, believe it or not...  In Kindergarten and early Elementary school grades, English completely took over in life, however.

Some phrases and words can be translated quite well, but the meaning isn't quite the same.

I think it would be difficult to understand this, unless you really grew up as a child learning two different languages...  The meaning of a word can be taught to an adult, but it often just isn't exactly the same as if you learned that word in its native habitat...

It's actually hard to explain.

Anonymous

Quote from: "JOE"I was in this French immersion class in Quebec.

We were having the conversational part of the day.

I said to a pretty you women, "Je t'aime," which I thought meant "I like it."

She blushed. And then informed me, that it meant, "I love you."

She then informed me that I was looking for the phrase, "J'aime ¢a."

She should have used that as a lead in to get into her pants.

shin

Quote from: "Renee"Growing up in a household where multiple languages were spoken I learned quite a few words that simply do not translate into English well. This is especially true of the modern Gaelic which my dad's side of the family speaks.

The Irish language is the original "Goidelic" language that is spoken in Ireland, Western Scotland and Wales. Although there are differences within the various dialects, it's acknowledged origin is Ireland.  Gaelic is a insular and somewhat unique Celtic language spoken regionally and has very little common ancestry with either the dead Celtic languages of continental Europe, Old English or Middle English. So words and phrases don't always translate well.

Words in Gaelic can and do have multiple and seemingly unrelated meanings when translated.

For example the word  "caob"....common translation is "a clod" or a "lump" but it's Gaelic meaning is more than that.   "Caob " means a shovel full of clay or dirt. It can also mean a fork full of hay, or a layer of something or even a sloppy or untidy person.

The word "tnuthach"...common translation is "envious or jealous" but again it has more meaning than just that. It can also mean "contentious", quarrelsome", "a rival" or in some cases "a bigot".

Those are just two examples that I can think of off the top of my confused head. Gaelic is a very complex and confusing language that depends entirely on vernacular, inflection and useage. It varies in it's verb and noun usage from region to region and from clan to clan. It's difficult to learn and my understanding of it is somewhat limited.

It's my understanding that the Gaelic that I've been exposed to is sort of a mixed bag of dialects. It's almost what is now called "Standard" or "An Caighdean". It was officially adopted in the 1950s and it's taught in Irish schools as a compromise or a bridge between the more common dialects.

That was very informative, Renee.

Have you perchance ever read Canterbury Tales, or Finnegan's Wake? Canterbury Tales was my introduction to Old English prose, even though it's probably more accurately an epic poem. Chaucer's spellings of words I could recognize in their archaic forms (like "gud" or "goode") acted as a springboard for understanding more about etymology. Finnegan's Wake I culd nae maek hed naere teal oof.   :laugh:

shin

Quote from: "seoulbro"I was born in Seoul, but I attended all schools in Canada. As a Kyopo, one of the hardest concepts for me to grasp is 스킨십 or skinship.  It involves a range of common and not so common practices including: draping arms over each other, sharing umbrellas, sitting in each other's laps, massaging, stroking, toying with each other's hair, holding hands, playing with fingers, resting head on another's lap or thigh, playing with ears, etc.

Does skin skip transcend Korean subculture into greater East Asian cultural norms? There have been a few times when I've been in a public place among strangers and upon walking near enough to a few Asian guys that it might otherwise be mistaken for being rude or offensive to those who would rather not accidentally brush against another in passing have found that they might stand closer than expected, almost shadowing my stance until I ultimately walk away to go elsewhere.

I wondered if it could be interpreted as charm or just common politeness that goes against what I've always believed about Asian people not liking to be touched by starngers for any reason?