Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 09:29:27 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

A

$103M illegal gambling ring allegedly linked to Mafia, Hells Angels

Started by Anonymous, September 13, 2016, 07:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Organized crime is a lot more sophisticated than what I thought.

TORONTO — The man accused of running Internet services for a $103-million illegal sports betting ring that police say was linked to the Mafia and the Hells Angels pleaded guilty Monday.

Gordon Baird, 59, admitted he was the administrator of the Platinum Sports Book, a sophisticated betting operation in Ontario that set up its computer servers in Costa Rica.

The police probe of Platinum was first revealed in spectacular fashion when officers raided a lavish Super Bowl party north of Toronto in 2013, a catered event with an open bar for 2,700 guests who vied for expensive door prizes including a motorcycle and Sea-Doo.

It was a party thrown annually by Platinum as a customer appreciation event. Court heard it cost more than $100,000 to run.

The cost, however, was a drop in the bucket of what money organizers were bringing in, court heard.

With computer servers in Costa Rica, toll-free phone lines, a smart-phone app for gamblers to bet on all major sporting events, the operation was technologically savvy, sophisticated and lucrative.

Based on police wiretaps, it is estimated that Platinum employed hundreds of bookies servicing thousands of clients within the Toronto area. The bookies signed up their own clients, collected their debts and paid out their winnings on a weekly basis. The money flowed up the pyramid, court heard, with the top acting as "the bank."

This was an extremely well-organized, professional criminal organization making millions of dollars

A financial audit of seized betting records show that between 2009 and 2013 Platinum grossed more than $103 million. Police seized $4.6 million in cash during its probe.

In 2012, $1.3 million in cash was found in the backpack of Erwin Speckert as he boarded a bus from Winnipeg to Vancouver. The source of the money was never revealed, but Monday's court proceedings confirmed it was Platinum money being couriered west. Speckert was sentenced last year to three years for money laundering.

"The operation is best viewed as a highly sophisticated and organized pyramid-type structure. The pyramid structure involved a number of 'cells' consisting of bookies and their sub-agents signing up bettors/clients," says an agreed statement of facts in Baird's case.

"These cells in turn are all connected to the top of the pyramid structure by those managing the organization."

The top — which Baird was not a part of — was not discussed in his proceeding. At the time of arrests, the RCMP said Platinum Sports Book was linked to members of the Hells Angels Motorcycle Club and the Mafia.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/man-admits-to-role-in-103m-illegal-gambling-ring-allegedly-linked-to-mafia-hells-angels">http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canad ... lls-angels">http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/man-admits-to-role-in-103m-illegal-gambling-ring-allegedly-linked-to-mafia-hells-angels

Angry White Male

Anonymous

Quote from: "Angry White Male"I should get the Harley fired up!

The illegal lottery too.

cc

Quite an operation ... Hells Angels are in criminal business everywhere in our land

way back they bought and "used" the Vancouver to Alaska ship  (Prince George) while I was hostess / cruise director on .. and everything went rapidly all to "hell"

Quoteset up its computer servers in Costa Rica.

hmmm ..... Costa Rica eh? ........

ac_smile
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Twenty Dollars

Quote from: "Daisy May"Quite an operation ... Hells Angels are in criminal business everywhere in our land

way back they bought and "used" the Vancouver to Alaska ship I was hostess / cruise director on .. and everything went rapidly all to "hell"

ac_smile

Of course. Were you born yesterday?

cc

Anonymous

Quote from: "Daisy May"did they take your quote privileges away?

Of course he has had privileges taken away. Same old spamtard bullshit. He's too too stupid to learn.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Daisy May"Quite an operation ... Hells Angels are in criminal business everywhere in our land

way back they bought and "used" the Vancouver to Alaska ship  (Prince George) while I was hostess / cruise director on .. and everything went rapidly all to "hell"

ac_smile

So, it would have made money even if there were no passengers.

cc

Yes. I'm not privy to all that happened, but for sure it was a money laundering "vessel"

My "pink" cabin was near the starboard bow .. yes, they painted it pink for me

http://www.sitnews.us/Kiffer/Princess/052311_ss_george.jpg">

I just finished the summer season and did not return next summer season mainly because I was not comfortable with the new ownership

Maybe Shen would have fought for the job  ac_biggrin

Anonymous

Quote from: "Daisy May"Yes. I'm not privy to all that happened, but for sure it was a money laundering "vessel"

My "pink" cabin was on the starboard bow .. yes, they painted it pink for me

http://www.sitnews.us/Kiffer/Princess/052311_ss_george.jpg">

I just finished the season and did not return

What an interesting job even though it was a front for organized crime.

cc

Their ownership was near the end of my time on it and happened mid season and mid cruise  .... we found out upon docking in in Juneau

Prior to that it was the ultimate dream job ... a small ship, neat crew and mostly nice easy to entertain passengers

Anonymous

Quote from: "Daisy May"Their ownership was near the end of my time on it and happened mid season and mid cruise  .... we found out upon docking in in Juneau

Prior to that it was the ultimate dream job ... a small ship, neat crew and mostly nice easy to entertain passengers

I have no doubt it was..

How did you get that job?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Daisy May"Their ownership was near the end of my time on it and happened mid season and mid cruise  .... we found out upon docking in in Juneau

That is so deadly ceec. :thumbup:

GORDY GAMBINO

Quote from: "Fashionista"

I have no doubt it was..

How did you get that job?

The same way she gets everything  ac_lmfao you too...555
RW = ANAL SIZE WHORE

cc

Well, Roo Scrooer

I was told and choose to think that my sparkling personality played a role

and that it was not just my breathtaking beauty and voluptuous sultry sexiness alone

ac_smile