Replies: 10387
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:57:16 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Typhoon Meranti hits Taiwan

Started by Wulf, September 14, 2016, 10:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wulf

Fash, I hope family and friends back home are safe and sound.

Schools shut, flights cancelled as Super Typhoon Meranti hits Taiwan

TAIPEI, Sept 14 (Reuters) - More than half a million homes lost power across Taiwan on Wednesday and five people were injured as Super Typhoon Meranti, which is believed to be the world's strongest storm this year, hit the island.

Taiwan's Central Weather Bureau warned that the Category 5 storm threatened several southern and eastern cities, including Kaohsiung and Hualien, with strong winds, torrential rain and flooding.

Meranti, which grew in strength the closer it got to Taiwan, was carrying maximum winds of 227 km per hour (141 mph) as it clipped the south of the island, the weather bureau said.

"This typhoon is the world's strongest so far this year," weather bureau spokeswoman Hsieh Pei-yun said.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/schools-shut-flights-cancelled-as-super-typhoon-meranti-hits-taiwan/ar-BBw7YYY?li=BBnbfcL">//http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/schools-shut-flights-cancelled-as-super-typhoon-meranti-hits-taiwan/ar-BBw7YYY?li=BBnbfcL

Anonymous

Damn Taiwan gets a lot natural disasters. When they are not getting leveled by earthquakes, it's monster typhoons.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wulf"Fash, I hope family and friends back home are safe and sound.

Schools shut, flights cancelled as Super Typhoon Meranti hits Taiwan

TAIPEI, Sept 14 (Reuters) - More than half a million homes lost power across Taiwan on Wednesday and five people were injured as Super Typhoon Meranti, which is believed to be the world's strongest storm this year, hit the island.

Taiwan's Central Weather Bureau warned that the Category 5 storm threatened several southern and eastern cities, including Kaohsiung and Hualien, with strong winds, torrential rain and flooding.

Meranti, which grew in strength the closer it got to Taiwan, was carrying maximum winds of 227 km per hour (141 mph) as it clipped the south of the island, the weather bureau said.

"This typhoon is the world's strongest so far this year," weather bureau spokeswoman Hsieh Pei-yun said.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/schools-shut-flights-cancelled-as-super-typhoon-meranti-hits-taiwan/ar-BBw7YYY?li=BBnbfcL">//http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/schools-shut-flights-cancelled-as-super-typhoon-meranti-hits-taiwan/ar-BBw7YYY?li=BBnbfcL

I hope Fash's relatives are safe.

Anonymous

Thank you for your concern cashews..

ac_smile

My family lives in Southern Taiwan which bore the brunt of the typhoon..

Everyone is accounted for and safe..

They were without power, one uncle had a tree damage his car and a cousin had her flight home from Japan delayed, but that is all.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"Thank you for your concern cashews..

ac_smile

They were without power, one uncle had a tree damage his car and a cousin had her flight home from Japan delayed, but that is all.

Compared to the earthquakes Taiwan has had, this typhon is a light summer shower.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "Fashionista"Thank you for your concern cashews..

ac_smile

Compared to the earthquakes Taiwan has had, this typhon is a light summer shower.

I wouldn't go that far Herman, but you're right about some of the devastating earthquakes Taiwan has suffered through.

Anonymous

That quake in 99 being as bad as it gets.