Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Finding a Gold Mine in a Trash Heap

Started by JOE, October 29, 2016, 02:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE

Have any of you had any real life experience(s)?

Recently, someone in my building threw out hundreds of old Jazz music Cd's.

They were the recordings of the greatest jazz musicians of the 20th century ~ aka, the golden age of jazz from perhaps the best the wolrd has seen or ever will see. He chucked a pile on the free table in the lobby. Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Oscar Peterson, George Gershwin, Pierre Rampal, Dave Brubeck, Vince guaraldi and dozens of others. So I picked the best ones up as he threw them out. Recently I discovered that he wasn't chucking them out anymore.  So he mustve gotten rid of everything he no longer wanted.

Now....I'm not a hardcore Jazz music fan, but nevertheless I appreciate the gesture. Some jazz is extremely good and nice to listen to. Plus its timelss and never ages or goes out of style. Those type of Jazz CDs and the multitude that he threw out are expensive to buy and hard to find. He mustve thrown out hundreds, and being the willing collector, I inherited well over 200 absolutely free. Anyways, I thought this was a 'Gold Mine in a Trash Heap' experience.

Have any of you had a similar experience(s)? If so, post them here.

Anonymous

QuoteHave any of you had a similar experience(s)?

nope

Anonymous

When we were still newlyweds, my husband did residential electrical instead of industrial like he does today..

Some of the houses in the subdivision he was working on already had owners that moved in..

On one occasion he found an antique buffet and hutch by the industrial dumpster..

He came back after work with a truck, took it to our house and completely restored it and sold it.

Anonymous

Three years ago I found a working vacuum cleaner beside the dumpster at my condo complex. It looked like it was in good condition, so I took it in the lobby of my building and plugged it in. Sure enough it worked. I had it for ten months before it bit the dust it sucked up.

Anonymous

I have "found" rail bed rock on a CN line that I used for my driveway. I have also "found" ties that I used to build a garden. I often "find" good stuff when I am driving around in my pick up at night. :wink:

Anonymous

Anyone like yard sales? It is 99 per cent junk, but occasionally you uncover a gem.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"Anyone like yard sales? It is 99 per cent junk, but occasionally you uncover a gem.

My wife likes yard/garage sales.

Twenty Dollars

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"
Quote from: "seoulbro"Anyone like yard sales? It is 99 per cent junk, but occasionally you uncover a gem.

My wife like yard/garage sales

Believable....she like

When I lived in Marin, my neighbor moved to GB. She was in a hurry. She piled up a few boxes for the garbage men. The dogs knocked the top and ne over. Inside were 4 antique Hopi Kachina dolls. The real thing. I emailed her and told her what she left behind. She never answered. Sent 2 more. No answer. Put them away. Never thought much more about it. Two years later found them again and I took them to a dealer in Mill Valley. He appraised the 4. $1200. It motivated me to start collecting them. I have a very nice collection.

Anonymous

They are a waste of time. I like flea markets and auctions.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"

There a block yard sale on my street over two neighbours' yards in 2013..

There was a  snow blower, a deep fryer, a barbeque and a George Forman grill all in good working condition.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Herman"

There a block yard sale on my street over two neighbours' yards in 2013..

There was a  snow blower, a deep fryer, a barbeque and a George Forman grill all in good working condition.

There you go Fash. Someone's trash was someone else's treasure.

GORDY GAMBINO

Soxy he be collecting the cans in his Kelly Rd street niggerhood before the fucken Pakis and Muslim terrorist scum or fucken joooos get em. He take lady tuck shop arm's wif's fucken laundry basket . Schmuck on wheels.

You see mate guys like you retire and guys like us keep raking it in till the day we die.

WINNING !!
RW = ANAL SIZE WHORE

Anonymous

Quote from: "GORDY GAMBINO"Soxy he be collecting the cans in his Kelly Rd street niggerhood before the fucken Pakis and Muslim terrorist scum or fucken joooos get em. He take lady tuck shop arm's wif's fucken laundry basket . Schmuck on wheels.

You see mate guys like you retire and guys like us keep raking it in till the day we die.

WINNING !!

Perhaps building a nest egg one can at a time. :laugh:

GORDY GAMBINO

His glory days are over now he gets refered to as old man white nigger
RW = ANAL SIZE WHORE

Bricktop

Quote from: "GORDY GAMBINO"Soxy he be collecting the cans in his Kelly Rd street niggerhood before the fucken Pakis and Muslim terrorist scum or fucken joooos get em. He take lady tuck shop arm's wif's fucken laundry basket . Schmuck on wheels.

WINNING !!

Is this why you live in a derelict wurly, while I reside in a lovely home overlooking rolling hills that I can see from my pool? And you drive a rusted, wheezing piece of Ford shite while I choose between my new Land Rover or Honda sports car?

You holiday in Thailands armpit, whilst I shall be roaming the streets of London in January?

I drink single malts at $100 plus a bottle. You smoke weed.

Yeah, I wish I was in YOUR shoes.