Last post: Today at 06:52:17 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Frood

ATTN: Iron Horse Jockey

Started by Angry White Male, January 13, 2017, 12:42:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "iron horse jockey"
Quote from: "Angry White Male"A buddy of mine lives fairly close to a busy track that runs freight 24/7 here, with numerous crossings nearby.

He's convinced some conductors make more of a racket in the middle of the night with the air horn than others do.

My opinion was that I couldn't see why some would do that, but I suppose it's a possibility.

So, is his hunch correct?  Can a conductor make excessive racket with the horn should he desire to?  Or are the horn blast lengths and timing strictly regulated and controlled?

Everything we do is strictly regulated by Transport Canada through the Canadian Rail Operating Rules. The rules with whistles and horns at crossings are clear unless there is an agreement with a municipality that changes it.

Oh and it's the engineer that sounds horns and whistles not the conductor.

I remember you mentioning before that there are so many rules it makes it difficult to do your job.

You know it and the government and public keep wanting more cumbersome rules in the CROR. I have a little over seven years until I retire in my tropical paradise. It can't come soon enough.

Angry White Male

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"With my job, the struggle is to stay awake. Falling asleep is easy.

I don't think I would be happy conducting a train, for this reason...

That's why I drive a truck locally...  Many things to keep you awake at any given time!  Especially Asian drivers!

Then again, us truck drivers also give you something to keep you awake also, since our vehicles can derail your train!

Like what happened here a few years back, when a train hit a loaded dump truck and transfer...  There train engines and some cars were in a farmers field!  Actually quite surreal to drive by that scene!

Cost 4.7 million to clean that one up! (don't ask me how I know)...