Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

Best Ever Valid Excuses

Started by cc, January 27, 2017, 07:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"
Quote from: "iron horse jockey"I have given CP some creative absentee reasons back in my drinking days. I remember once saying I got the 40 ounce flu, er I mean the stomach flu.

Freudian slip eh Jock. In my line of work, you blow a shift, you are fired. Don't bother giving excuses because we know you are shitfaced.

While I agree with the premise and fallout, that says something about your industry and reaction.

It is what it is. There a lots of opportunities and of course the wages and benefits are good. But, it's not the industry for sissies who can't make it to work because they stubbed their toe while going to take a leak in the morning. You want a job like that, find out where rohomo works and submit a resume.

There are not many industries like oil and gas that provide for a comfortable middle class living. Railroading is another.

Anonymous

I won't be at work for two weeks because I am going to the Mexican Riviera.

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"I won't be at work for two weeks because I am going to the Mexican Riviera.

I hope you have a good time iron horse jockey.

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"I won't be at work for two weeks because I am going to the Mexican Riviera.

Lucky you.

Frood

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"
Quote from: "iron horse jockey"I have given CP some creative absentee reasons back in my drinking days. I remember once saying I got the 40 ounce flu, er I mean the stomach flu.

Freudian slip eh Jock. In my line of work, you blow a shift, you are fired. Don't bother giving excuses because we know you are shitfaced.

While I agree with the premise and fallout, that says something about your industry and reaction.

It is what it is. There a lots of opportunities and of course the wages and benefits are good. But, it's not the industry for sissies who can't make it to work because they stubbed their toe while going to take a leak in the morning. You want a job like that, find out where rohomo works and submit a resume.

There are not many industries like oil and gas that provide for a comfortable middle class living. Railroading is another.

Industrial divers, underwater welders, and FIFO miners do well too.

Hail repairers also. Some keep kits in lockers in different continents and get news alerts then fly off for a month or two at a go as dealerships know them well.

I know of a fellow who refits lighthouses with LED's all around the world and part of his payment are the old workings which are high dollar value items for collectors and museums.

Specialization is the key. In a past career I had a rare skill set which was lucrative and came with loads of extended travel and living. Can't say what it was though since it would lead to a former employer's doorstep.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Industrial divers, underwater welders, and FIFO miners do well too.Industrial  

Hail repairers also. Some keep kits in lockers in different continents and get news alerts then fly off for a month or two at a go as dealerships know them well.

I know of a fellow who refits lighthouses with LED's all around the world and part of his payment are the old workings which are high dollar value items for collectors and museums.

Specialization is the key. In a past career I had a rare skill set which was lucrative and came with loads of extended travel and living. Can't say what it was though since it would lead to a former employer's doorstep.

All of those require apprenticeship in Canada. Nobody is going to pay anyone just to dive. You have to be able to do something once you are in the water.

Frood

All of those require apprenticeship in Canada. Nobody is going to pay anyone just to dive. You have to be able to do something once you are in the water.

In the case of divers, sure. Some do apprenticeships, others take full on course work or trade certificates, some just learn on the job and do the inductions.

There's varying degrees of skill involved depending on the job. Some cold work, some chemical, mechanical, metallurgical, and radiation work. It's all over the place. I've known divers who spent a third of the year on tropical islands nannying marine biologists with big grants, part of the year circumventing nuke plant RAD dose policies by globetrotting, and the rest sewing nets over the winter for hydro electric installations and doing the odd critical winter dive. Some only turned spanners by instructions. Others could weld anything at any depth.

They were on a good upper middle class crust.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

In the case of divers, sure. Some do apprenticeships, others take full on course work or trade certificates, some just learn on the job and do the inductions.

There's varying degrees of skill involved depending on the job. Some cold work, some chemical, mechanical, metallurgical, and radiation work. It's all over the place. I've known divers who spent a third of the year on tropical islands nannying marine biologists with big grants, part of the year circumventing nuke plant RAD dose policies by globetrotting, and the rest sewing nets over the winter for hydro electric installations and doing the odd critical winter dive. Some only turned spanners by instructions. Others could weld anything at any depth.

They were on a good upper middle class crust.

Inland divers without tickets make an okay wage. But, the money is in deep water and for those with tickets.

Frood

Over 6 figures sure. Just below, sure. Depended on what they could do, the danger they were willing to subject themselves to, how honest they were about RADs,  and especially who they knew and where those people were working. Gigs led to friendships which led to odd jobs often at weird destinations.

A lot of them pissed their money away partying and having lavish holidays. The smart ones saved, worked hard, and got out or taught.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

DD and Herman are right, the trades still offer an opportunity to make a very good living. Instead of paying for four years tuition and fees, you get paid for your training and eight weeks of school each year.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"DD and Herman are right, the trades still offer an opportunity to make a very good living. Instead of paying for four years tuition and fees, you get paid for your training and eight weeks of school each year.

And once an apprentice gets their journeyman papers, they are on easy street.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"DD and Herman are right, the trades still offer an opportunity to make a very good living. Instead of paying for four years tuition and fees, you get paid for your training and eight weeks of school each year.

And once an apprentice gets their journeyman papers, they are on easy street.

Even with a totally incompetent government in this province making a bad situation worse, a journeyman HD wrench for example still has plenty of opportunities.

Anonymous

My husband became a master electrician after years of being a journeyman electrician..

He works as a shop manager for a specialized oilfield service equipment, but if his company had folded in Alberta, he would have had many options and not been unemployed for a day.