Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

A

All Fired Up BBQ

Started by Anonymous, February 09, 2014, 05:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"
Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "Shen Li"^^Never tried it Renee. I have tried soup from a can and they are pretty frickin salty. I don't mind like canned pineapple, but not much else.

Well you should try it because all that salt, fat and processed meat is really good for you.  :lol:

They eat a lot of it in Hawaii. I used to think that was a nasty stereotype but when I was on Oahu during my honeymoon some of the residents did look like they could have been consuming a hell of a lot of spam. In fact one native resident we were talking to jokingly referred to spam as Hawaiian steak.  :lol:

Not only is it big in Hawaii but in places like Guam they claim the average person eats about 16 cans of it a year. It's even becoming popular in China. I don't quite get the attraction; it's okay but IMHO it's nothing to get excited about.

in Korea it is considered a delicacy (sort of)............ i guess a hold over from the war and the americans.....anyway they give it out as gifts at all holidays wedding, etc etc.....gift basket packs of spam.....for several hundred dollars...lol.......me i LOVE spam sandwiches...

I noticed that along with that kinda hotpot they put wieners in.

cc

I'm sure Mr Munday likes "some" of those  ;)
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Obvious Li

Quote from: "cc li tarte"I'm sure Mr Munday likes "some" of those  ;)

Mr Munday did his best to sample as much of the local cuisine as possible...especially various kinds of hotpots......um um um.....and yum yum yum.....those were the days my friend......cheers  miss burqua.... :D  :ugeek:

Anonymous

Mr Munday did his best to sample as much of the local cuisine as possible...especially various kinds of hotpots......um um um.....and yum yum yum.....those were the days my friend......cheers  miss burqua.... :D  :ugeek:

I would like to learn more about Korean cuisine myself..

Mr. Obvious Li, I know you like Southern barbeque, do you have a smoker?

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Fashionista"

yes i do...i made one out of an old refrigerator.....i mostly smoke fish and wild sausage....some pork loin.....as a matter of fact i have two deer cut up and trimmed waiting to become sausage as soon as i can get around better.......will probably try sometime later in feb......usually a bunch of us get together at a friends lodge......make and smoke sausage....make hamburger ...debone a bunch of turkeys for turkey rolls.....get very very drunk.and tell the same stories as last year...... mucho fun.............:mrgreen:

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Fashionista"

for some reason of all the foods i tasted in my travels around the world i fell in love with Korean food the most...may have a lot to do with how it is served...sitting on the floor with friends or family and eating out of communal bowls all the while drinking copious amounts of alcohol is the way god meant dining to be.....very comforting and enjoyable.......cooking at your table is also very nice....plus having food vending carts every few yards on every street is also very enjoyable...i just enjoy the whole atmosphere as well as the hot,spicy and sour combinations available in Korean cooking.......throw in a few event girls and it's heaven......... :idea:

Anonymous

for some reason of all the foods i tasted in my travels around the world i fell in love with Korean food the most...may have a lot to do with how it is served...sitting on the floor with friends or family and eating out of communal bowls all the while drinking copious amounts of alcohol is the way god meant dining to be.....very comforting and enjoyable.......cooking at your table is also very nice....plus having food vending carts every few yards on every street is also very enjoyable...i just enjoy the whole atmosphere as well as the hot,spicy and sour combinations available in Korean cooking.......throw in a few event girls and it's heaven......... :idea:

I really like Korean food myself. It's a flavour explosion that I haven't seen in any other type of cooking. Truth is, I prefer most it to the various Chinese styles. The soups in particular are the best I have ever had.

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Shen Li"

I really like Korean food myself. It's a flavour explosion that I haven't seen in any other type of cooking. Truth is, I prefer most it to the various Chinese styles. The soups in particular are the best I have ever had.

yes they have perfected soups and serve them at every meal.....my favorite is still Duk-guk or New Years Soup.....i try and pressure the dragon to make it at least once a month....but i have to be extra nice for a few days......also seaweed soup is delicious.......have you had Soondai (blood sausage) Kahn (liver) or Duk-bok-kee or Odang from those vendor carts.....yummmmmmmmyyyy

Obvious Li

lunch time at every restaurant you can get a big bowl of twenjan chigai or kimchi chigai for about $5.....very very delicious and healthy

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"lunch time at every restaurant you can get a big bowl of twenjan chigai or kimchi chigai for about $5.....very very delicious and healthy

육개장, YukGaeJang, is my personal fave. Spicy, hearty, filling, but not heavy. Sam gae tang with the whole chicken and jujube is really good too.

I have had soon dae and duk pok kee from street side vendors. Usually there were a bunch of high school girls in uniform when I bought it. A favourite snack along with tee kim.

Anonymous

yes they have perfected soups and serve them at every meal.....my favorite is still Duk-guk or New Years Soup.....i try and pressure the dragon to make it at least once a month....but i have to be extra nice for a few days......also seaweed soup is delicious.......have you had Soondai (blood sausage) Kahn (liver) or Duk-bok-kee or Odang from those vendor carts.....yummmmmmmmyyyy

I have had some Korean food, but I can`t recall the names of what I had other than be be bim bap which I make sometimes..

I should learn to make some more Korean foods this year.