News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10388
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 04:30:51 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Aryan

Guess it's time for a Hurricane/Tropical Storm Party!!!!!!

Started by kiebers, August 25, 2017, 07:52:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "kiebers"
Quote from: "Velvet"
Quote from: "kiebers"We can do Winnipeg.  :thumbup:

It will be more than one thunderstorm....LOL It's going to sit on the coast and suck up moisture from the gulf. We are expecting 18 to 24 inches or more in my area. I have heard predictions of 50 inches in some areas closer to landfall. We have a county rain gauge less than a mile from us so I will be able see what we actually get.

How long is the worst of it supposed to last before it moves on?

That is the problem. It is supposed to hang around for a while moving slowly up the coast. It just went to a Category 4 with sustained winds of 130 mph. It hasn't made land fall yet but Corpus Christi is getting hurricane force winds now 6:30. Probably in excess of 100 mph. Not going to be good. Probably be the worst part damage wise. High winds, high storm surge doesn't make a good recipe. They are predicting it to go inland and start to lose wind speed but sit there. Then it will start moving back out over water as a tropical storm and run the coastline to Louisiana. Just sucking up all that moisture from the gulf and dumping it on the coast. All the rain will be a big issue. Flooding can take a lot of lives. Hopefully everyone prepared whether that be with supplies or evacuation.

Oh I hope there is no damage to your property kiebers.

kiebers

We will be fine and the Galveston property can't be hurt, nothing there to hurt.
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

Anonymous

Quote from: "kiebers"We will be fine and the Galveston property can't be hurt, nothing there to hurt.

That's good to know kiebers..

Still If you don't post for a long while, I'll be worried.

kiebers

If I am without power there could be connectivity issues but I will check in with my mobile from time to time. Don't really expect any issues till Sunday and early next week.
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

Anonymous

Quote from: "kiebers"If I am without power there could be connectivity issues but I will check in with my mobile from time to time. Don't really expect any issues till Sunday and early next week.

I was just reading some places in the hurricane's path could get a 1000 ml of rain over the next few days.

kiebers

Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "kiebers"If I am without power there could be connectivity issues but I will check in with my mobile from time to time. Don't really expect any issues till Sunday and early next week.

I was just reading some places in the hurricane's path could get a 1000 ml of rain over the next few days.

I think that is a worst case kind of thing. I have heard 800. Not impossible but I believe unlikely. I figure in the 500 to 650 range in the worst places. But I have no idea. We have some rain bands but its not dropping much now where I am at 4 ml so far but they have gotten 50 ml. I am predicting 550-600 at my house from now until next Wednesday. We shall see. That's a lot of water to get drained out of the area. I think it took four weeks to drain the flood reservoirs in the 2016 flood.

Anonymous

I think that is a worst case kind of thing. I have heard 800. Not impossible but I believe unlikely. I figure in the 500 to 650 range in the worst places. But I have no idea. We have some rain bands but its not dropping much now where I am at 4 ml so far but they have gotten 50 ml. I am predicting 550-600 at my house from now until next Wednesday. We shall see. That's a lot of water to get drained out of the area. I think it took four weeks to drain the flood reservoirs in the 2016 flood.

That is a lot of rain over a very short time..

Is this storm expected to be worse than 2016?

kiebers

Quote from: "Fashionista"

In 2016 was just a spring storm not tropical but we got 17 inches of rain in one day. That was bad. I expect a lot more but it will be spread out over 3-5 days. From the standpoint of the flood reservoir the days won't matter. It will be worse than 2016.

JOE

In 2016 was just a spring storm not tropical but we got 17 inches of rain in one day. That was bad. I expect a lot more but it will be spread out over 3-5 days. From the standpoint of the flood reservoir the days won't matter. It will be worse than 2016.

Has the hurricane brought massive destruction to the areas affected so far, kiebers?

Any fatalities?

Anonymous

Do you get water in your basement?

kiebers

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"

Basements are not common in the southern US. There are some but not many. But if they were common I am sure many would fill up.

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"

Basements are not common in the southern US. There are some but not many. But if they were common I am sure many would fill up.

They have to worry about rain water on their main floor.

RW

Do you guys end up staying up all night or do you get some sleep kiebs?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Do you guys end up staying up all night or do you get some sleep kiebs?

We didn't get much sleep during the 2013 flood..

We knew we could be ordered to evacuate at any time and it did happen.

RW

Quote from: "RW"Do you guys end up staying up all night or do you get some sleep kiebs?

We didn't get much sleep during the 2013 flood..

We knew we could be ordered to evacuate at any time and it did happen.

I have never been through a serious weather event.  I imagine it's terrifying.
Beware of Gaslighters!