News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

Why are Truck Drivers often portrayed as Psychos in the Movies?

Started by JOE, September 06, 2017, 01:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"The newer ones are pretty good. Smaller yard switchers, not so much. But, the hogger is only in that a max of 8 hours. That is if they are not beltpack equipped.
I like listening to the sound of those big diesels.

When I was young, and studying in Sydney, I used to at the train home to my folks.  Back then the line wasn't electrified, and the carriages on the midnight mail train I used to catch were ancient old things with individual 8 seat cabins running down one side, alongside the walkway.  The train was usually so packed that I would climb up on a luggage rack to get some sleep. (I was a skinny bastard back then, and weighed about 60kg).

Anyway, the point is I'd always get to the station early, just to spend some time listening to the loco idling on the track, before it was time to go.

That deep rumble was one of the most beautiful, carnal, primal sounds I've ever heard.  Loved it.

Blazor

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"
We have a coffee pot/kettle, fridge, microwave, air con, toilet and air ride seats inside the cabs of road locomotives.

Oh I figured lol, similar to a big rig. I was just joking about how you guys are portrayed in movies lol.

Hey, as a former pizza guy, Im portrayed as being the "random hook-up" guy upon arrival, or a stoner  :laugh:
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Blazor

Quote from: "Harry"

Forget Stephen King...

Both of those are awesome movies. Most Rob Zombie flicks are.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blazor"
Quote from: "iron horse jockey"
We have a coffee pot/kettle, fridge, microwave, air con, toilet and air ride seats inside the cabs of road locomotives.

Oh I figured lol, similar to a big rig. I was just joking about how you guys are portrayed in movies lol.

Hey, as a former pizza guy, Im portrayed as being the "random hook-up" guy upon arrival, or a stoner  :laugh:

A semi truck doesn't have a toilet in it.

Blazor

Quote from: "Angry White Male"

It shouldn't be this way...

I always have respect for the truckers around here. Give them room and flash my lights for them to get over if they need to. Other fuckers ignore the signal and keep going, but a trucker will normally let you over if you need to. As a driver I know some form of politeness needs to be in order. Cause frantic dashing will cause a wreck. If I see one of them asshats, I keep to the rules of the road, but also make sure they struggle a lil bit to get ahead, then let them over to blow by me knowing a traffic cop is usually sitting up ahead  :laugh:

Blazor

Quote from: "Fashionista"

Not a flushable one, but a lot do carry a portable one.

Anonymous

That the driver has to empty.

:beurk:

Harry

Not neccessarily..

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/47231">//http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/47231

Blazor

Lol. My father in-law had one on his boat. He also use to drive a big rig. Im sure someone may have to go number 2 sometime and there not be a store or anything for 100 miles or something. Not good when Chipolte hits  :laugh:  (I've never had Chipolte, just know the memes lol)

Harry

Not necessarily.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/47231">//http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/47231

RW

Quote from: "Angry White Male"I am a minority where I work...

Soon all the white guys will finally be gone from Vancouver.

Real Woman would love this, but here's the problem...  She HERSELF moved away from here, due to immigrants increasing the costs of housing, and lowering the standards enough, for her to feel the need to move far away.

Um no I didn't.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"The newer ones are pretty good. Smaller yard switchers, not so much. But, the hogger is only in that a max of 8 hours. That is if they are not beltpack equipped.

When I was young, and studying in Sydney, I used to at the train home to my folks.  Back then the line wasn't electrified, and the carriages on the midnight mail train I used to catch were ancient old things with individual 8 seat cabins running down one side, alongside the walkway.  The train was usually so packed that I would climb up on a luggage rack to get some sleep. (I was a skinny bastard back then, and weighed about 60kg).

Anyway, the point is I'd always get to the station early, just to spend some time listening to the loco idling on the track, before it was time to go.

That deep rumble was one of the most beautiful, carnal, primal sounds I've ever heard.  Loved it.

Not even close to the equipment IHJ operates.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"

Not even close to the equipment IHJ operates.

I know, live near CP Keith yard..

Some of those freight trains are over three kilometres long or more.

Harry

We've got some reasonably long trains down here:

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc3V3T-eDj0

I grew up in a coal mining area.  Whilst the coal trains aren't as long as an iron ore train, they're not exactly short either. They're about 1.4km (84 x 16m wagons + 3 locos).

They seem long when you're stuck at a level crossing, waiting for them to clear.

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP4H9OoO1WQ

I live less than 2km from this train station, and it's the one I use when I need to travel into the CBD.  The freight lines also go through the same station, so It's normal to watch them go by whilst waiting for the local service.  It's the mainline up the eastern coast and gets a bit of traffic.

Not far from this station there's a railway bridge across the river.  It's in our direct line of sight across water, and at night, when the city is otherwise quiet, we have a more-or-less constant background noise from trains crossing the bridge.  I don't even notice it most of the time, but sometimes I lay awake listening to it.

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xovw8fwrYEA

But yeah, a lot of our rail infrastructure is crap.  It's a national disgrace that for a country so big, most of our rail network is rubbish.

Anonymous

Even  in dark territory(OCS) our trains are usually 1.3 miles.  Except for turkey trails with one or two customers. North America wide, we use imperial, not metric.

What is wrong with freight rail infrastructure in Australia? Not built for higher speed, longer heavier trains?  All our mainline here for both class one railways uses 136 lb rail.