Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

A

Australians decisively support same-sex marriage

Started by Anonymous, November 15, 2017, 09:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

From the BBC

Australians have overwhelmingly voted in favour of legalising same-sex marriage in a historic poll.

The non-binding postal vote showed 61.6% of people favour allowing same-sex couples to wed, the Australian Bureau of Statistics said.

Jubilant supporters have been celebrating in public spaces, waving rainbow flags and singing and dancing.

A bill to change the law was introduced into the Senate late on Wednesday. It will now be debated for amendments.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said his government would aim to pass legislation in parliament by Christmas.

"[Australians] have spoken in their millions and they have voted overwhelmingly yes for marriage equality," Mr Turnbull said after the result was announced.

"They voted yes for fairness, yes for commitment, yes for love."

The issue only went to a voluntary postal vote after a long and bitter debate about amending Australia's Marriage Act.

The result on Wednesday brings an end to what was at times a heated campaign. The vote itself had been criticised by same-sex marriage supporters, many of whom said it was unnecessary when parliament could debate the issue directly.

How did the vote unfold?

More than 12.7 million people - about 79.5% of eligible voters - took part in the eight-week poll, which asked one question: "Should the marriage law be changed to allow same-sex couples to marry?"

The Yes campaign argued that it was a debate about equality. The No campaign put the focus on the definition of family, raising concerns about how issues like gender will be taught in schools.

What were the results?

Australia's chief statistician David Kalisch said about 7.8 million people voted in support of same-sex marriage, with approximately 4.9 million against it.

He said participation was higher than 70% in 146 of Australia's 150 electorates. All but 17 electorates supported changing the law.

Thiel

Obviousl I am happy with the results. It was long overdue in my opinion.

Although, from one to ten on the importance scale, I would give this a 3.5.
gay, conservative and proud

Aryan

https://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/frustrated-sigh-gif-5.gif">

Anonymous

I have no problem with legalizing gay marriage. However, now that Australia has said yes, I'm certain they're more important issues to deal with down under.

Anonymous

Quote from: "SCOUSE"https://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/frustrated-sigh-gif-5.gif">

It was inevitable SCOUSE.

Aryan

It's the last days of Rome. Pedo rights will be pushed for again soon just like back in the 1970's, mark my words......

Anonymous

Quote from: "SCOUSE"It's the last days of Rome. Pedo rights will be pushed for again soon just like back in the 1970's, mark my words......

Only if sharia law becomes the law of the land.

Kids can't give consent.

Odinson

Why do they want to get married?

They just want to play victims...

They dont even want to get married.

Faggots aint monogamous...

Anonymous

Now that this is out of the way they can start to tackle important issues.

Bricktop

Precisely. Care factor = 0.

We have so many real problems in our nation, including the increasing pace of the collapse of our democracy and the division of our society into identity tribes, each wielding far more influence than they warrant.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Precisely. Care factor = 0.

We have so many real problems in our nation, including the increasing pace of the collapse of our democracy and the division of our society into identity tribes, each wielding far more influence than they warrant.

I understand that too.

Aryan

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "SCOUSE"It's the last days of Rome. Pedo rights will be pushed for again soon just like back in the 1970's, mark my words......

Kids can't give consent.

The left pushed the sick deviancy in the past without any influence whatsoever from muslims.

Anonymous

Quote from: "SCOUSE"
Quote from: "Shen Li"

Kids can't give consent.

The left pushed the sick deviancy in the past without any influence whatsoever from muslims.

In 326 BCE Gay/bisexual military leader Alexander the Great completes conquest of most of the then known Western world, converting millions of people to the gay-friendly Hellenistic culture and launching the Hellenistic Age.

Aryan

Pedophillia and homosexuality often go hand in hand.

Anonymous

Quote from: "SCOUSE"Pedophillia and homosexuality often go hand in hand.

I have never read any scientific facts supporting that..

In fact, I've read the opposite.

The research showed that gay males were no more sexually aroused by pictures of young boys than straight males were aroused by pictures of young girls (Freund et al., 1989)..

https://goodmenproject.com/ethics-values/is-there-a-link-between-homosexuality-and-pedophilia-twr/">https://goodmenproject.com/ethics-value ... hilia-twr/">https://goodmenproject.com/ethics-values/is-there-a-link-between-homosexuality-and-pedophilia-twr/