News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10404
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 08:47:48 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

Ordered a DNA test kit from Ancestry tonight...

Started by Angry White Male, February 02, 2018, 02:59:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Angry White Male

As you know, I already have results from 23 and Me, but Ancestry has a slightly different testing method (I won't bore you with the differences, since most of us wouldn't understand the differences anyhow).

Doing this is two-fold...  It will show me their test results, and will also show you guys any potential difference between the two, in the final results.

Understand that Ancestry does NOT do Health Tests, and are ancestry related only.

Will post results, when test comes back!

I like science, and I like to be thorough!

Bricktop

It will only tell you where your DNA has been observed elsewhere....not necessarily family...

Frood

10 bucks says he's got squirrel in his lineage.
Blahhhhhh...

Aryan

Hopefully that 3% Jew blood will have been a mistake!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"It will only tell you where your DNA has been observed elsewhere....not necessarily family...

I read that, it's really a waste of money.

cc

QuoteIt will only tell you where your DNA has been observed elsewhere....not necessarily family...
True

Even if accurate, they can only make assumptions for those (very few) in their database

That said, mate's closest friend, a nephew in law from former marriage, located a 1/2  sister in England ... because she was in the database

They verified it true as they had both previously and separately tracked had down their once unknown "common" father

Very nice for him as he has no other family that he cares to have - he was always treated and called by blood family he was brought up with as "the bastard" ... which triggered mate to then take him in (and far away from his "family") and treated him as his own child alongside his own kids

Mate cried when he learned this wonderful person had found a verified 1/2 sister - Decent "blood" family for him   finally

Again, ONLY because he and sister were in database - a very unlikely  long shot that panned out
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

cc

Yes. They found each other last summer

Brings tears to my eyes every time I think about it - After marrying mate I also got to know and love this wonderful person who succeeded in life despite everything against him.

Also. it makes me love my mate more knowing he would take this lad into his family on his 16th birthday - despite everyone telling him that 16 was far to late to save anyone - mate's instincts and caring were spot on

Mate and he, not blood relatives,  are so close no one could pull them apart with 2 D9s chained to them .. . and the trust between them is "absolute"
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Blazor

Quote from: "Fashionista"That's amazing cc.

:ohmy:

I agree it is!

I also have a half brother, and all I know is that my dad gave up parental rights to that wife, his name was Benjamin I think, and 2 years younger than me. Have no idea what he looks like or anything. Would be crazy if he is the twin thats been spotted around town. Some guy that drives a Jeep like mine color and all, looks like me, and even wore the same sunglasses lol.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Bricktop"It will only tell you where your DNA has been observed elsewhere....not necessarily family...

It depends on your expectation.

At the least, it shows where your DNA has been observed throughout history...it "tracks" its journey from the original source, Africa to its most recent locality. It does not identify who it matches with unless you pay for that. My DNA was observed to have travelled from Africa, up to the northernmost reaches of Russia, then down through Scandinavia into the UK.

Someone in Sweden paid for the matching service, because they contacted me and asked if I had family in Sweden. Obviously, hundreds or thousands of years ago, I did...but none in recent memory.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"
Quote from: "Fashionista"

It depends on your expectation.

At the least, it shows where your DNA has been observed throughout history...it "tracks" its journey from the original source, Africa to its most recent locality. It does not identify who it matches with unless you pay for that. My DNA was observed to have travelled from Africa, up to the northernmost reaches of Russia, then down through Scandinavia into the UK.

Someone in Sweden paid for the matching service, because they contacted me and asked if I had family in Sweden. Obviously, hundreds or thousands of years ago, I did...but none in recent memory.

I don't think that is what most people expect from the service though Bricktop.

Bricktop

Then they should be more diligent. I knew exactly what it was going to do. We did ours through National Geographic, and they supplied a DVD that detailed precisely what they would provide, with examples.

They then onsell the database to geneology services where people can register and obtain information about precise matches with others.

Angry White Male

Ancestry has an advantage over 23 and Me, when linking users, simply because Ancestry has a database of around 6,000,000 users, while 23 and Me has a database of around 1,000,000 users.

That, and I want to make sure that the Jew blood wasn't planted by CC, or one of her operatives...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Then they should be more diligent. I knew exactly what it was going to do. We did ours through National Geographic, and they supplied a DVD that detailed precisely what they would provide, with examples.[/b]

They then onsell the database to geneology services where people can register and obtain information about precise matches with others.

I never heard of anyone doing that Bricktop.

Frood

Are the results back yet AWM? Are you part squirrel? Did Rocky bust a nut in one of your ancestors?

I await with bated breath.
Blahhhhhh...