The best topic

Replies: 10393
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:41:25 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

The Most Likely Reason(s) For Lac Megantic Tragedy

Started by Anonymous, July 10, 2013, 08:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

I have read extremists claim it was all the big bad company's fault while other equally clueless ideologues say it is all the fault of one lazy unionized conductor who also wore the locomotive engineer's hat. As usual they are both wrong.

Let's look at the train itself first. The head end had 5 locomotives while the consist had 72 cars. CROR(Canadian Rail Operating Rules) Rule 112(a) states a.When equipment is left at any point a sufficient number of hand brakes must be applied to prevent it from moving.For both of Canada's two class 1 railways their GOI(General Operating Instructions) state something like this in the application of Rule 112, unless otherwise specified by special instruction, sufficient number of handbrakes shall be a minimum of one, with one additional handbrake for every 10 cars to a maximum of 5* in total.

e.g.

1 car - 1 handbrake,

2 cars - 1 handbrake,

10 cars - 2 handbrakes.

* Note: If the results of the testing of the effectiveness of the handbrakes applied indicate additional handbrakes are required, additional handbrakes are to be applied as needed.

That would at least 7 handbrakes would be required on the train plus one for each locomotive on the head end. That would be a minimum of 12 brakes for the entire consist. Now, the units became separated from train, but if rule 112(a) had been followed then neither the units, nor the train would have rolled.

CROR rule 112(b) on securing equipment requires that the hand brake application be tested. The rule states

Before relying on the retarding force of the hand brake(s), whether leaving equipment or riding equipment to rest, the effectiveness of the hand brakes(s) must be tested by fully applying the hand brake(s) and moving the cut of cars slightly to ensure sufficient retarding force is present to prevent the equipment from moving. When leaving a cut of cars secured, and after completion of this test, the cut should be observed while pulling away to ensure slack action has settled and that the cars remain in place.

This focus on the effectiveness of the airbrakes is distraction used by people with an an agenda who know zero about the rail industry. Clearly rules 112(a) and (b) were either not followed or there was sabotage(highly unlikely). If the Conductor/Hoghead had applied the legal minimum handbrakes on the entire consist nothing would have moved. Because the lone train operator broke CROR rule 112(a) there was no need to folow rule112(b) either...push/pull test.

It seems pretty clear this is a case of criminal negligence on the part of the trainman. However, MMA as a short line railway got permission to run trains with only one crew member which is rare. How can a train do switching with only one person? How is it possible to do coupling with only one body? How do they do air checks with one person? Unless all switching is done in the yards with a rules qualified person on the ground and the train is just hook and haul it seems impossible.

The trainman probably "cut corners" due to exhaustion from doing two jobs.

Anonymous

Update, the conductor/hoghead has been suspended by his company. He was also involved in a previous derailment. I will post more details as they emerge.

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Shen Li"Update, the conductor/hoghead has been suspended by his company. He was also involved in a previous derailment. I will post more details as they emerge.

good for you..i am torn between my normal contempt for this union slug and my respect for the situation......i suspect the death toll will continue to rise....many of those bar goers simply evaporated from the intense heat......no one will ever know what happened to some of them.....the conductor may have fucked up but no train carrying explosive materials should have a one man crew.....

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"
Quote from: "Shen Li"Update, the conductor/hoghead has been suspended by his company. He was also involved in a previous derailment. I will post more details as they emerge.

good for you..i am torn between my normal contempt for this union slug and my respect for the situation......i suspect the death toll will continue to rise....many of those bar goers simply evaporated from the intense heat......no one will ever know what happened to some of them.....the conductor may have fucked up but no train carrying explosive materials should have a one man crew.....

No train period should have a one man crew. It violates several CROR communication rules alone nevermind the ones related to safety. MMA is a short line railway and was able to set of a train on the main instead of a siding as class 1 railways like CN or CP do. Short line railways may not have daily scheducled traffic, so leaving equipment on the main is not an uncommon practice.

I am not bragging, but I know a bit about freight railroading and I cannot see for the life of me how they can run an entire consist with one person wearing both the conductor and hoghead hats. I think you will see that rare deal between MMA and the feds reexamined. I sure hope so.

Obvious Li

i love the name "Hoghead"...if i was a hoghead, i would swagger around town challenging every tough guy wannabe to a throw down......spit a big wad of tobaccy on the toes of their boots and fuck em............. :ugeek:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"i love the name "Hoghead"...if i was a hoghead, i would swagger around town challenging every tough guy wannabe to a throw down......spit a big wad of tobaccy on the toes of their boots and fuck em............. :ugeek:

A hogger holding a road pool at CN can make about $180k/annum. Not a bad wage for only moving forward and reverse.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Obvious Li"i love the name "Hoghead"...if i was a hoghead, i would swagger around town challenging every tough guy wannabe to a throw down......spit a big wad of tobaccy on the toes of their boots and fuck em............. :ugeek:

A hogger holding a road pool at CN can make about $180k/annum. Not a bad wage for only moving forward and reverse.

What is a hogger? Do you work for CN?

Anonymous

I was horrified when I heard about this tragedy..

I will pray for the town's healing.

:(

Anonymous

The Hoghead/Conductor's name is Tom Harding and he was fired by CN for a minor derailment he was responsible for last year.

Obvious Li

the Chairman (forget his name) did such a piss poor PR job when he went to speak to the locals....probably is a good guy , but came across as an old school hard ass corporate boss....not appropriate in the circumstances

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"the Chairman (forget his name) did such a piss poor PR job when he went to speak to the locals....probably is a good guy , but came across as an old school hard ass corporate boss....not appropriate in the circumstances

It looked like he had a friggin smirk on his face.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Obvious Li"the Chairman (forget his name) did such a piss poor PR job when he went to speak to the locals....probably is a good guy , but came across as an old school hard ass corporate boss....not appropriate in the circumstances

It looked like he had a friggin smirk on his face.

Yes it does appear that way.

Odinson

Anonymous

Quote from: "Odinson"The man did not know shit.

I don't know anything about that derailment either Odie.

Odinson

He is a manager. Press conferences like these are totally useless.

We are being taught that the bossman always has the answers and there is no I donĀ“t know.