Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

Dammit...

Started by Angry White Male, March 15, 2018, 03:49:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angry White Male

Renee, I see you logged in and hovering down at the bottom.  Don't be afraid to talk guns with Uncle Ace.  I know you want to.

Angry White Male

LOLZ!  Now she logged back out...

Renee

Quote from: "Angry White Male"I think I'm going to contact S&W customer service, and see what they say about the sight issue.  Maybe they know of a solution...

I haven't logged out.....

Mel,....just an FYI, you mentioned that you shot the revolver at 7 yards and it prints high....S&W regulates the sights on their revolvers at the factory at 25 yards benched. For a .357 the load they use is a 158gr SWC at around 1250 fps, which is the typical old school police load. If you haven't fired the weapon at that range with that particular load...please do so. See where it prints and if you are satisfied, start changing loads and adjust your range. Just be aware that a lighter bullet will tend to print low and a heavier will typically print high.

If you do not get the results you want, Smith makes a couple of different rear sights of varying heights for most of their adjustable sight revolvers. Measure the rear sight top to bottom with a set of calipers and order a shorter sight. You can get them directly from Smith or you can go to Midway or even Amazon. So do yourself a favor and reserve the dremel for lancing the boils on your ass and keep it away from the weapon.

Secondly, get rid of the wolf main spring....it's shit. Changing out the springs on a new revolver right out of the box was a mistake. Any action job begins with a deburring and a polishing of the internals before you start messing with springs. That main spring it too light and even if you put in the 15lb rebound spring you are still going to be limited to soft primer ammo like Federal or a hand load fitted with a CCI 300 LP primer.

So congrats on your purchase and enjoy it.....just don't handle it while you are fucked up. ac_biggrin

Now I'm logging out....early train tomorrow morning.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Angry White Male

Now we're getting somewhere!  Thanks for the feedback, Renee.

Why the hell would S&W sight iron revolver sights out to 25 yards?  My Ruger GP100 and P90 both had enough adjustability built in where I could shoot low or high at any range, should I desire to do so!  Will try again at the range, but I'm not sure I can even shoot an iron sight revolver at 25 yards very well to begin with...

The Wolff kits work great for some, it seems.  Not for mine.  Will try the 'standard' Wolff mainspring.  They are cheap enough, and easy to replace.  The factory mainspring is heavier than any revolver I have ever fired, and will not go back in.

Angry White Male

And I did talk to a 'Smith about a trigger job.  The guy was honest...  His take?  Why would I want to pay him to 'wear out' the trigger action prematurely.  His belief?  Shoot the thing, and shoot it often, and the trigger mechanism will 'job' itself.

Not the best business model, but nonetheless an honest opinion from a man that earns his living smithing...

Bricktop

Quote from: "Angry White Male"Here, now I'm trying to remember, as it was like 15 years ago I had restricted applied...

First off, as with all Firearms Licenses issued here, there is a criminal records check.  The RCMP does not release the 'threshold' one must meet, to acquire either types of licensing (Long Gun and Handgun).  Herman has only his regular long-gun license, as he has a criminal record.  They may or may not issue him a restricted license, depending on what his record consists of.  Again, these thresholds are not made public, but I would assume a "Restricted" endorsement holder would be subject to higher standards.  If someone spent some time in a mental hospital, and was deemed a danger, this could most likely also send a 'red flag,' but again this is not disclosed to the public.

To get a restricted, you are tested on your knowledge of the restricted gun.  I.E. safe storage, transport, etc., which does differ from long guns.  You also have to have two references that know you, vouch on your behalf that you are of good character.

Nice.

Now, what was the justification you used to possess a pistol?

Bricktop

Quote from: "Renee"

Now I'm logging out....early train tomorrow morning.

That's good.

Be under it.

Angry White Male

Quote from: "Bricktop"Nice.

Now, what was the justification you used to possess a pistol?

In Canada, unlike a long gun, you are correct in the fact that one needs a 'reason' to be able to own a handgun.

I'll break this down...  Now understand that Peace Officers are exempt from any of these conditions, as they have their own policies on handguns.

So, first we have work related.  This would mean Brinks armoured truck personnel, etc.  They are armed.

Second, and this permit is rarely given, but there have been some remote location animal trappers that have been approved to carry sidearms.

Third, and very rarely given again, is if the Chief Firearms Officer believes your life is in immediate threat, and the police are unable to protect you, you can be given the approval to pack a heater.  This is so rare, and I don't think the numbers have even been released for the amount of concealed carry individuals here.

Fourth, and not listed, is personal security personnel for high profile individuals.  This is a 'grey area.'  I will assume that these people are permitted to pack through the Police Act, and bypass the Firearms Act altogether.  Here, I can only assume, as this is not made public.

Fifth, collectors.  Bona-fide collectors can own things that most citizens cannot.  Their standards are kept high.

And sixth, which is the category that 99.9% of handgun owners in Canada would be, is target shooting for sport.  This is a valid reason in this nation.  Whether you like it or not, is not my problem.

Angry White Male

Nonetheless, I'm glad you asked, so you can see how our system works here, from somebody that knows.  Not all Commonwealth nations follow the same rule of laws, contrary to your beliefs.

Now, if you want to know about the storage and transport rules applicable to handguns here, I am more than happy to answer that question also.  I am sure you will find them quite 'restrictive' compared to the US, hence why this endorsement is called exactly that...  "Restricted."  Long-guns are considered here 'Non-Restricted.'

Renee

Quote from: "Angry White Male"Now we're getting somewhere!  Thanks for the feedback, Renee.

Why the hell would S&W sight iron revolver sights out to 25 yards?  My Ruger GP100 and P90 both had enough adjustability built in where I could shoot low or high at any range, should I desire to do so!  Will try again at the range, but I'm not sure I can even shoot an iron sight revolver at 25 yards very well to begin with...

The Wolff kits work great for some, it seems.  Not for mine.  Will try the 'standard' Wolff mainspring.  They are cheap enough, and easy to replace.  The factory mainspring is heavier than any revolver I have ever fired, and will not go back in.

The reason S&W regulates their handguns at 25 yards is because that is the target distance used in DCM and NRA precision, timed, rapid fire 900 and 2700 events. It's 50 yards for slow fire competition.  I believe the miltary uses similar distances for their hangun matches as well.

S&W expects all their service revolvers to perform within their standards at that distance or they don't pass quality control. Years ago, before my time, when you purchased some of their specialized target weapons like the model 14 or 52, you would actually get the target shot at the factory. As for the rear sight, I have 30 plus years expeirence with S&W revolvers and yours wouldn't be the first one I've seen screwed all the way down from the factory. My advice is get a pistol rest and shoot it single action until you can get acceptable groups at 25 yards

And as for your Wolff reduced power main spring...It's also my experience that they work more reliably on older K and J frames (pre 1997) that have the free floating hammer mounted firing pin. As you know, your Smith has the frame mounted firing pin with the transfer bar similar to the L and N frames. It seems that the reduced power main spring and the newer ignition system can be a mixed bag. You should be fine with the standard Wolff replacement.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Renee

Quote from: "Angry White Male"And I did talk to a 'Smith about a trigger job.  The guy was honest...  His take?  Why would I want to pay him to 'wear out' the trigger action prematurely.  His belief?  Shoot the thing, and shoot it often, and the trigger mechanism will 'job' itself.

Not the best business model, but nonetheless an honest opinion from a man that earns his living smithing...

Wow, that is a pretty crappy business model, especially when you consider that trigger jobs used to be one of the S&W Performance Center's bread and butter services. Are you sure you didn't speak to one of the office cleaning people?

The kind of trigger job they do for a duty weapon like your 4" M66 is not going to prematurely wear it out. All they do is take off the burrs left during production. You can shoot the crap out of it and get the same effect but a deburring will save you time and money. Also if you intend to shoot the shit out of your K, please be careful with the load. I've seen too many K frames with cracked forcing cones, cylinder gap and timing problems from being fed a steady diet of full power or hot .357 loads. I have a 4" M19 that was an old duty weapon, that has a cracked forcing cone and timing issues for that very reason. The K frame is a weapon meant to be carried hot but shot cool. In other words, while you are breaking it in put lighter loads thru it, or better yet,...38s. The action won't know the difference.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "Angry White Male"And I did talk to a 'Smith about a trigger job.  The guy was honest...  His take?  Why would I want to pay him to 'wear out' the trigger action prematurely.  His belief?  Shoot the thing, and shoot it often, and the trigger mechanism will 'job' itself.

Wow, that is a pretty crappy business model, especially when you consider that trigger jobs used to be one of the S&W Performance Center's bread and butter services. Are you sure you didn't speak to one of the office cleaning people?

The kind of trigger job they do for a duty weapon like your 4" M66 is not going to prematurely wear it out. All they do is take off the burrs left during production. You can shoot the crap out of it and get the same effect but a deburring will save you time and money. Also if you intend to shoot the shit out of your K, please be careful with the load. I've seen too many K frames with cracked forcing cones, cylinder gap and timing problems from being fed a steady diet of full power or hot .357 loads. I have a 4" M19 that was an old duty weapon, that has a cracked forcing cone and timing issues for that very reason. The K frame is a weapon meant to be carried hot but shot cool. In other words, while you are breaking it in put lighter loads thru it, or better yet,...38s. The action won't know the difference.

RENEE

:23tfup5:

Bricktop

Quote from: "Angry White Male"Here, now I'm trying to remember, as it was like 15 years ago I had restricted applied...

First off, as with all Firearms Licenses issued here, there is a criminal records check.  The RCMP does not release the 'threshold' one must meet, to acquire either types of licensing (Long Gun and Handgun).  Herman has only his regular long-gun license, as he has a criminal record.  They may or may not issue him a restricted license, depending on what his record consists of.  Again, these thresholds are not made public, but I would assume a "Restricted" endorsement holder would be subject to higher standards.  If someone spent some time in a mental hospital, and was deemed a danger, this could most likely also send a 'red flag,' but again this is not disclosed to the public.

To get a restricted, you are tested on your knowledge of the restricted gun.  I.E. safe storage, transport, etc., which does differ from long guns.  You also have to have two references that know you, vouch on your behalf that you are of good character.

Nice. However, you ommitted an important point.

"In order to fire the restricted fire arm legally you will need a license for either target shooting or Employment/protection of life purposes.  The latter license is so extremely difficult to get there is little reason to discuss it here.  For a target practice license you will need to prove that you are a member of an approved shooting facility and that you practice or compete at same.  This will most certainly require you to pass another CFO investigation which will most certainly include interviews with persons at your shooting facility."

Are you a member of a pistol club?

Angry White Male

Quote from: "Bricktop"Are you a member of a pistol club?

That is a prerequisite when you initially apply, and generally a prerequisite when new restricted firearms are transferred into ones name.

So yes, I am, and have been, but letting it lapse it not a big deal either, since maintaining a current membership does not restrict your ability to continue to own and operate a restricted firearm.

Angry White Male

I cannot edit my posts...  I meant to say, that NOT maintaining a current membership, doesn't affect what you currently own.

It's one of those dumb 'requirements' that may or may not be a requirement, depending on how the CFO feels that day.

Since we can only shoot handguns at licenced ranges, it is assumed that we will shoot at ranges.  Membership proves nothing.  I go to various ranges as a drop-in, and that in itself should be good enough.

It's one of those dumb formalities that serves no use, and is getting less and less 'enforced' over time, I have noticed.