News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

Ace's Preliminary Saskatchewan Bus Crash Results...

Started by Angry White Male, April 09, 2018, 12:35:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"At a significant speed. Not only did he not stop, he did not brake or slow down.

He didn't see the Stop sign.

Bricktop

That would seem obvious...but he did not see the looming intersection either. I'm sure that there would have been a warning sign some distance before the intersection. First instinct is he was asleep at the wheel.

Angry White Male

I have viewed some higher quality images now available, and the load was strapped.  It was on its way to Alberta, which is some distance away.

He loaded up the bags of Peat (I was right with my guess of what those bags contained) just up the road, so doubtful he fell asleep two minutes after strapping down a load.

Unfamiliarity with the area...  sun in his eyes is very possible, but nonetheless he blew through the stop sign.  That much we can tell.  Won't rule out fucking with his phone (distraction).

In a weird twist, those crosses from 20 years ago were from a passenger car that blew through the stop sign, and hit a semi that had the right of way.

Angry White Male

Quote from: "Bricktop" However, it show's all the signs of excessive speed through an intersection.

Not necessarily excessive speed, just excessive speed past the point of the stop sign that he didn't stop for!

Bricktop

That is excessive speed. Note I did not say "illegal" speed.

Angry White Male

Those Prairie roads are all flat, and can go on for miles.  No mountains, no hills, no curves, just flat.  Sun in eyes can be brutal.

I'm sure many parts of Australia can be like that also.

Where I live here it is not like that.

If not for the limited population out there, there would probably be many more accidents like this.  No doubt many people have accidentally blew through stop signs historically, but just have been lucky.  If they didn't realize just how lucky they were, instances like this remind us just how quick shit can go bad.

The semi driver...  his career is finished most likely.  Depending on his mental strength, he may or may not live the rest of his life normally.

Bricktop

His career is finished because if your laws are anything like ours, he's going to be missing a driver's licence for a very long time.

In fact, he may be fortunate to avoid spending a little time getting a striped suntan. And if it is proven that he was using a phone, or affected by drugs...then that would be a VERY long time.

Angry White Male

Our laws are different.

Let's assume he was blinded by the sun, and couldn't see the sign.  He would be given a MVA ticket for disobeying a road sign.  Not a big deal at all.

In a case like this, the cops may up that offense to something like "Driving without due care and attention," which is an actual criminal code offense.  If found guilty under that, he may be stripped of his licence, but in a case like this (if no negligence can be proven), he may or may not get a licence suspension.  If it were, it might be for a year or so.

Our laws are very easy on people that truly just had a momentary lapse of judgement, and caused an accident.  You see, the end result (the deaths of 15) often cannot come into play during judgement and sentencing.  

Unless some negligence can be proven, he would face the same punishment as a car driver that blew through the stop sign and killed one, if you understand what I'm getting at.

Many employers, however, may be hesitant to hire him in the future though, and this is where he'll run into a potential problem.

Angry White Male

Western rule of law, rightfully so, often doesn't take into account the outcome, but the act itself.

This makes sense, as we are all human.

Bricktop

I am well aware of that.

Nonetheless, to argue that "I was paying due diligence, and driving at a speed safe under the conditions whereby my vision was impaired by low sunlight" will take a rather good lawyer.

If he was dazzled by the sun (he wouldn't have been, I believe the collision took place early-mid afternoon) he should have slowed down.

He's for a government funded holiday. Driving a 40 tonne rig in a manner that could cause such death is not going to be a fine and slap on the wrist.

Angry White Male

At that time of day the crash happened, the sun would have been strong, and he was driving West facing it.

Nonetheless, you are correct...  when in doubt of your vision, slow down or stop until you can get some proper vision.  I have done just that in Montana.

You are wrong about the jail time though...  Unless some negligence can be proven, he will not be sentenced to prison here.  Trust me.  I know this industry, and the justice system here well enough.

He made a mistake.  However, if negligence can be proven, then that is a different story.

Angry White Male

I shouldn't have to explain this to you, Bricktop...

If he was fucking around and texting on his phone, that could be negligence, but moreso Driving Without Due Care and Attention.  If he knew his brakes were faulty, but decided to keep driving anyhow, that is negligence.

If he was drunk or high, that would be separate criminal code charges.

We know he fucked up, but let's let the pros examine the situation further.  If he was rolling legit, and just made a simple mistake (the biggest mistake of his life), he won't spend time in prison.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"I am well aware of that.

Nonetheless, to argue that "I was paying due diligence, and driving at a speed safe under the conditions whereby my vision was impaired by low sunlight" will take a rather good lawyer.

If he was dazzled by the sun (he wouldn't have been, I believe the collision took place early-mid afternoon) he should have slowed down.

He's for a government funded holiday. Driving a 40 tonne rig in a manner that could cause such death is not going to be a fine and slap on the wrist.

He was held by the police briefly..

I don't know if he has been charged or charges are pending.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Bricktop"I am well aware of that.

He was held by the police briefly..

I don't know if he has been charged or charges are pending.

He will do some time.

Angry White Male

He won't do any time, unless they find something other than him simply making a mistake and blowing a stop-sign accidentally, or with sun in his eyes.

Have any of you ever been sent to jail for accidentally running a stop sign or red light?  Unless you were drunk or stoned, or had shown negligence, you will not go to jail.