Replies: 10389
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:36:52 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

Should I pack this in bear country?

Started by Angry White Male, May 04, 2018, 02:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blazor

Quote from: "Renee"...get yourself something like a Marlin Guide gun.

This is a beautiful gun! Reminds me of my Marlin 30.30.

Quote from: "Renee"

Given the choice it would be prudent to carry something .44 caliber or bigger, preferably in a rifle.

This is what I said earlier. Hate it he cant carry a pistol.

This is what the Alaskan state troopers carry...

https://www.omahaoutdoors.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/smith-wesson-629pc-snub-44mag-1920-1080-1.jpg">
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Renee

Quote from: "Angry White Male"Renee never stays for very long.  She's busy trying to figure out how to bring a Howitzer along with her on the next family camping trip.

Hey Mel, I was thinking maybe leave the gun on the wall and just bring some bear spray....

On second thought that may not be a good idea either...You're likely to wake up one morning all fogged up from a bad night before, forget and use it for hair spray or some shit.... :laugh3:
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Angry White Male

Ya, handgun carry for citizens in this country is verboten.  There is an authorization that does permit handgun carry in the bush, but that is reserved for 'remote wilderness trappers' and such.  Not many of those authorizations are issued, since you actually have to be an authentic remote wilderness trapper, and not just a pretend one...

Angry White Male

Quote from: "Renee"
Hey Mel, I was thinking maybe leave the gun on the wall and just bring some bear spray....

On second thought that may not be a good idea either...You're likely to wake up one morning all fogged up from a bad night before, forget and use it for hair spray or some shit.... :laugh3:

Well, I do have bear bangers.  Like a small flare that shoots up and goes bang.  Supposed to scare away bears.  Could always shoot one, and pray that the bear runs away instead of disemboweling me.

Blazor

Quote from: "Angry White Male"Ya, handgun carry for citizens in this country is verboten.  There is an authorization that does permit handgun carry in the bush, but that is reserved for 'remote wilderness trappers' and such.  Not many of those authorizations are issued, since you actually have to be an authentic remote wilderness trapper, and not just a pretend one...

That sucks man.

I like what Im allowed to do for the most part, in this state.

I'll share a story with you. When I was young, and new to hunting. It started on my friends grandads land. We would load up, then go in the woods. Well that didnt last long as he passed away that next year I think it was. His land backed up to the national forest, and I knew another way in. The gravel lot I parked in backed up to the national forest. So I loaded up and went in. Lunch time came around, I came out, sat in my Jeep, ate my sammich, gun loaded in the seat. Game warden came around. I didnt realize I was in the wrong. Got a ticket for having a loaded rifle on a state road. My dad called me The Ticket Hunter lol.

Angry White Male

Ya, we have kind of a similar law that states a gun must be empty while in transport in a motor vehicle.  You can have the rifle sitting beside you, but it's supposed to be empty until you stop at wherever you're shooting at.  Makes sense I guess, since most people wouldn't have a need to be shooting from a moving vehicle! :laugh:

Blazor

Quote from: "Angry White Male"Ya, we have kind of a similar law that states a gun must be empty while in transport in a motor vehicle.  You can have the rifle sitting beside you, but it's supposed to be empty until you stop at wherever you're shooting at.  Makes sense I guess, since most people wouldn't have a need to be shooting from a moving vehicle! :laugh:

Right, here is the same, no loaded rifle in vehicle. It also has to be in a case or have the chamber open and exposed. As far as a pistol, you can get a conceal permit, and carry loaded. Also Virginia is an open carry state. And the way I understand it, is if you are open carrying when you get in the vehicle, you are still open carrying. It remains in the holster. I cant have a loaded pistol on the seat or anything though. Then it has to be ammo in a separate container and stuff.

Angry White Male

We can have rifle uncased and unlocked while in transport, and action can be in any position.  Only once did a game warden ask me if he could check to make sure it was empty, which they can quickly confirm by cycling the action, so they do check here occasionally.  Storage in a vehicle is a little different...  so if you want to do some shopping, it now has to be locked up and out of site.  Our handgun laws here are extremely strict, and I won't even bore you with all the requirements and conditions for them!

Angry White Male

One thing that's different here, is that most firearms laws/rules are implemented at a Federal level, so the rules are the same across the country.

This contrasts to how you guys implement laws, leaving many of them up to the individual States to decide.  Could get a little confusing if one moves around a lot!

Blazor

Quote from: "Angry White Male"One thing that's different here, is that most firearms laws/rules are implemented at a Federal level, so the rules are the same across the country.

This contrasts to how you guys implement laws, leaving many of them up to the individual States to decide.  Could get a little confusing if one moves around a lot!

It does, and it dont stop there, it varies County to County too!  :dash1:

Bricktop

This is what I'd take when travelling through bear country.

https://www.army-technology.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2017/09/1-image-Patria-AMV.jpg">

Angry White Male

Quote from: "Blazor"It does, and it dont stop there, it varies County to County too!  :dash1:

And then you have a State like California, which isn't that far off from our laws in some respects.  In fact, they're going to start registering ammunition next year?

At this rate, Canada will soon be more firearm friendly than California!

Blazor

Quote from: "Angry White Male"
Quote from: "Blazor"It does, and it dont stop there, it varies County to County too!  :dash1:

And then you have a State like California, which isn't that far off from our laws in some respects.  In fact, they're going to start registering ammunition next year?

At this rate, Canada will soon be more firearm friendly than California!

I heard that about registered ammo  :sad:

My son is 19, and now he cant even buy ammo until 21 now. Hell he has as many guns as I do lol.

Angry White Male

Not even we register ammo here.  I'm guessing if some guy tries to stockpile, that could raise some red flags?  Not sure what other reason there could be to register ammo...

Angry White Male

I don't know, Renee...  I checked out some ballistics numbers, and your beloved .45-70 round has about 2,300 ft/lbs of energy @ muzzle, while the 12 Gauge slugs I posted have about 2,900 ft/lb @ muzzle.  Clearly the 12 Gauge slug is a harder hitting round (at close range).

Now, while I do agree that a well-placed shot is critical for instant death, remember that I am not a hunter.  Hunting would generally permit someone the time to place a well-placed shot, provided you can shoot (I can shoot very well, but hunting live game is not my thing...  Have nothing against responsible hunters).

When carrying solely for defense, I question anyone's ability to get in a perfectly placed shot when you may only have a few seconds to live.  Generally in these situations one just simply aims at center mass, and unloads as many rounds as you can.  In this type of scenario, I would imagine a 12 Gauge slug as being no less effective than many of the big bore, high powered rifle rounds...

Prove me wrong.