The best topic

Replies: 10392
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 08:39:50 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

Screw You Smith & Wesson...

Started by Angry White Male, May 16, 2018, 09:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Renee

Quote from: "Angry White Male"Just put the god damned rear sight on.  That's all I wanted.  Would take a minute with the special tool.

Now I do it myself.  I'm tired of wasting time.

My schedule is busy, and I'm done fucking around.

Obviously the gunsmith has more work than he can handle, so my simple jobs would be of no loss to him anyhow.

Good gunsmiths are notoriously independent. Anything you can do yourself...just do it and don't waste the time and aggravation.  

Unfortunately I have been reading that S&W has been having quality control issues over the past few years...Their new revolvers are plagued with issues such as what you are experiencing as well as barrels being slightly canted so that the front sight doesn't line up with the rear properly.

Not a good sign for a gun mfgr that used to pride themselves on quality. ... :sad:
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Angry White Male

I like the gun, other than the sight issue.  Just got my gun back.

I think I can make the special tool out of two dental pick type tools clamped together firmly with a pair of vice grips.  Will find out soon enough!

Angry White Male

Got the new sight in.  No damage to anything, not even a scratch.  Kind of difficult without the spanner tool, but I made it happen.

Now I just have to take a punch and smack the hollow end of the screw so it's essentially a permanent unit again.

Then I will remove the Wolff reduced pull mainspring, and put in a standard Wolff mainspring.  With my fish scale, I can determine how much, if any, trigger pull difference between Wolff standard and S&W standard.

Rancidmilko

Quote from: "Bricktop"Why not just bin it.

That, after all, is where all guns belong.

Didn't work here...

For some fucking reason, the bad guys keep getting them

And even when they can't get "real" guns, any backyard shop can produce some contraption and those kill many every year

Getting rid of the majority of people that might use a gun to kill someone is a better idea. And you will need guns for that.
There\'s always a bigger fish.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Red_brazilian_nut"
Quote from: "Bricktop"Why not just bin it.

That, after all, is where all guns belong.

Didn't work here...

For some fucking reason, the bad guys keep getting them

And even when they can't get "real" guns, any backyard shop can produce some contraption and those kill many every year

Getting rid of the majority of people that might use a gun to kill someone is a better idea. And you will need guns for that.

I was reading that police in Canada are seizing more home made firearms.

Angry White Male

So now I have some numbers...  The Wolff reduced mainspring is requiring a 7 1/2 pound pull in double action (as measured with my fish scale, so not 100% accurate).  Way too light, and I knew it.  Won't reliably fire primers, especially the strong European ammo primers.

The Wolff standard mainspring is at 9 pounds.  This is still much less than the stock S&W pull, which was extremely heavy at something like 15 pounds if I recall!

I think S&W reworked the innards of the new Model 66 slightly, and mainsprings aren't at the exact same geometry as the older 66's were, which explain my results with aftermarket mainsprings.

Angry White Male

So now the question is, with Wolff 'standard power' mainspring increasing pull by about a pound and a half to 9 pounds, is this enough to reliably ignite all primers?

I cannot answer this right now.  Only testing various ammo at the range can.

I know for sure American ammo like Federal will now reliably ignite, but Euro primers are harder, since Euro ammo is generally loaded right up to the limits, and requires a strong primer.

American ammo is weak.  What the US calls "+P" loads, that's standard loading for Euro ammo.  

My Fiocchi ammo will be a good test, as it has very hard primers, but is also powdered very closely to what the original .357 Magnum was.  Current US .357 Magnum ammo is weak compared to it.  I don't know why the US does this...

Same with my 9mm ammo.  My Euro standard 9mm ammo is full tilt, while the US 'equivalent' would be labeled as a '+P'...

Angry White Male

Went to tighten the side plate screw, and it broke!  Side plate screws do nothing but hold the side plate on, and keep the crane attached to the gun.  Very simple.

Not with Smith and Wesson!  I guess they decided to hollow out the forward sideplate screw, and put a fucking spring in there!  So, you can't really snug it down well without it breaking!

I am beyond even questioning why they would compromise the strength of a small screw, to hollow it out for a spring.  It's a fucking screw.  It does not need a spring inside.

I will NEVER own another one of these absolute pieces of shit.  I wish someone would've warned me...

http://i63.tinypic.com/sbiru9.jpg">

Bricktop

Isn't there a gun freak forum you can go annoy with your "I'm so cool...I got a GUN" BS.

Angry White Male

Quote from: "Bricktop"Isn't there a gun freak forum you can go annoy with your "I'm so cool...I got a GUN" BS.

Stay the fuck out of the thread if you don't like it.

Bricktop

Nobody gives a fuck about your gun fetish, except for the barge arsed Yank.

So why are you clogging up bandwidth in THIS forum, when there are other gun specific forums you can jack off in?

Anonymous

Why didn't you post this in the other Smith and Wesson thread?

Angry White Male

Bricktop

Yes.

Fuck off.

Go join some other gun jackoffs.

Angry White Male

Go fuck yourself, asshole.  Stay the fuck out of my threads if you don't like them.