Replies: 10395
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:27:42 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

Nasa Mars rover finds 3 Billion Year Old complex organic matter

Started by cc, June 07, 2018, 04:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/jun/07/nasa-mars-rover-finds-organic-matter-in-ancient-lake-bed">Nasa Mars rover finds 3 Billion Year Old complex organic matter

Nasa's veteran Curiosity rover has found complex organic matter buried and preserved in ancient sediments that formed a vast lake bed on Mars more than 3bn years ago.

The discovery is the most compelling evidence yet that long before the planet became the parched world it is today, Martian lakes were a rich soup of carbon-based compounds that are necessary for life, at least as we know it.

Researchers cannot tell how the organic material formed and so leave open the crucial question: are the compounds remnants of past organisms; the product of chemical reactions with rocks; or were they brought to Mars in comets or other falling debris that slammed into the surface? All look the same in the tests performed.

..... "While we don't know the source of the material, the amazing consistency of the results makes me think we have a slam-dunk signal for organics on Mars," Eigenbrode added. "It is not telling us that life was there, but it is saying that everything organisms really needed to live in that kind of environment, all of that was there."

[Of course Flat Earthers know there is no Rover on no Mars}
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Odinson

cc

You have better vision than I. I can't see far enough to know

Maybe your glasses are of some super material
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Odinson

Quote from: "cc"You have better vision than I. I can't see far enough to know

Maybe your glasses are of some super material

They just have nightvision and 10x zoom...

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/jun/07/nasa-mars-rover-finds-organic-matter-in-ancient-lake-bed">Nasa Mars rover finds 3 Billion Year Old complex organic matter

Nasa's veteran Curiosity rover has found complex organic matter buried and preserved in ancient sediments that formed a vast lake bed on Mars more than 3bn years ago.

The discovery is the most compelling evidence yet that long before the planet became the parched world it is today, Martian lakes were a rich soup of carbon-based compounds that are necessary for life, at least as we know it.

Researchers cannot tell how the organic material formed and so leave open the crucial question: are the compounds remnants of past organisms; the product of chemical reactions with rocks; or were they brought to Mars in comets or other falling debris that slammed into the surface? All look the same in the tests performed.

..... "While we don't know the source of the material, the amazing consistency of the results makes me think we have a slam-dunk signal for organics on Mars," Eigenbrode added. "It is not telling us that life was there, but it is saying that everything organisms really needed to live in that kind of environment, all of that was there."

[Of course Flat Earthers know there is no Rover on no Mars}

That's quite a discovery cc.

Angry White Male

Quote from: "Odinson"Earth is the only ball in space with life on it..

That we currently know of.

There's something like 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets in the observable Universe.  There could be a good chance there is some form of life on one of 'em...

Frood

Quote from: "Angry White Male"

There's something like 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets in the observable Universe.  There could be a good chance there is some form of life on one of 'em...

Almost assured. They keep finding them in goldilocks zones. We just can't reach them yet.

Plus it's been demonstrated that Earth and other planets get bombarded by non terrestrial organisms from space.
Blahhhhhh...

Berry Sweet

We can't even take care of our own planet.  Even IF they found ways to create an atmosphere there and grow food and have a water source, the only people going there are the elite.

Rancidmilko

No way.

If God were to create only one planet with life, I imagine it would have been better than this.
There\'s always a bigger fish.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"We can't even take care of our own planet.  Even IF they found ways to create an atmosphere there and grow food and have a water source, the only people going there are the elite.

I disagree with the first part, but you are right about the second. The planet takes care of us, not vice versa.

Angry White Male

Quote from: "Herman"The planet takes care of us, not vice versa.

Got that right!

https://www.mississaugahardware.com/prodimage/ProductImage/560/26a0dd87-1dec-4a35-875c-bed48fb8ee62.jpg">

Odinson

We woudnt have a rover on Mars if it wasnt for the white man.. And white supremacy.

We would still live in mud-huts if it were up to the multicultural enrichers.

Odinson

Quote from: "Angry White Male"

I was being a depressing pessimist...

Its a mathematical certainty that there is some form of life elsewhere.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "Berry Sweet"We can't even take care of our own planet.  Even IF they found ways to create an atmosphere there and grow food and have a water source, the only people going there are the elite.

I disagree with the first part, but you are right about the second. The planet takes care of us, not vice versa.

Makes sense to me Herman.

Angry White Male

Quote from: "Fashionista"Makes sense to me Herman.

What doesn't make sense to me is how 'planer' was magically changed to 'planet' in a quote contained in my post...    ac_unsure