News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10387
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:57:16 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

New immigrants costing 20B a year.....??????

Started by Obvious Li, August 30, 2013, 05:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obvious Li

Here we go again........gotta deal with it or else...

OTTAWA — The Harper government recognizes and has taken action to deal with the "fiscal burden" imposed by Canada's immigrants and refugees, but the government's sweeping reforms will only make a minor dent in newcomers' estimated $20 billion-a-year cost on society, according to a provocative report published Thursday.

Economist Herb Grubel of the Vancouver-based Fraser Institute argues that Ottawa should take more "radical" steps by phasing out the sponsorship of parents and grandparents, and by bringing in an employer-driven system to attract economic immigrants.

And the government should launch a public debate to determine whether Canada should be consistently bringing in roughly a quarter of a million newcomers a year, according to Mr. Grubel, a former caucus colleague of Prime Minister Stephen Harper's after they both became MPs under the Reform banner following the 1993 election.

"The current government recognized the existence of this fiscal problem and initiated a series of new policies to reduce it," Mr. Grubel noted in his report, which assesses Jason Kenney's reforms from 2008 until his shuffle out of the immigration portfolio last month.

Postmedia files

Postmedia filesThe federal government has brought in on average about 250,000 immigrants and refugees annually, and in 2013 is expecting between 240,000 and 265,000

The new policies on economic and family-class immigration, and especially a tougher approach to asylum-seekers, will have some success in reducing the so-called burden caused by immigrants who cost more in social services and general government expenses than they contribute in taxes.

But Mr. Grubel said Canadians should be allowed to debate the broader question of just how many new Canadians are needed in coming years.

The federal government has brought in on average about 250,000 immigrants and refugees annually, and in 2013 is expecting between 240,000 and 265,000.

"No explicit economic rationale exists in the economic literature or government documents to justify the current level of annual immigration. Nor are there explicit discussions of its cultural and social implications," according to Mr. Grubel.

A broad public policy debate involving politicians, academics and interest groups, whether it results in lower or higher immigrants, would at least ensure there is a "better informed and more rational Canadian immigration policy," he concluded.

Anonymous

Thanks for posting that article Mr. Obvious Li..

I always thought of immigrants paying their own way as my family did.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"Here we go again........gotta deal with it or else...

OTTAWA — The Harper government recognizes and has taken action to deal with the "fiscal burden" imposed by Canada's immigrants and refugees, but the government's sweeping reforms will only make a minor dent in newcomers' estimated $20 billion-a-year cost on society, according to a provocative report published Thursday.

Economist Herb Grubel of the Vancouver-based Fraser Institute argues that Ottawa should take more "radical" steps by phasing out the sponsorship of parents and grandparents, and by bringing in an employer-driven system to attract economic immigrants.

And the government should launch a public debate to determine whether Canada should be consistently bringing in roughly a quarter of a million newcomers a year, according to Mr. Grubel, a former caucus colleague of Prime Minister Stephen Harper's after they both became MPs under the Reform banner following the 1993 election.

"The current government recognized the existence of this fiscal problem and initiated a series of new policies to reduce it," Mr. Grubel noted in his report, which assesses Jason Kenney's reforms from 2008 until his shuffle out of the immigration portfolio last month.

Postmedia files

Postmedia filesThe federal government has brought in on average about 250,000 immigrants and refugees annually, and in 2013 is expecting between 240,000 and 265,000

The new policies on economic and family-class immigration, and especially a tougher approach to asylum-seekers, will have some success in reducing the so-called burden caused by immigrants who cost more in social services and general government expenses than they contribute in taxes.

But Mr. Grubel said Canadians should be allowed to debate the broader question of just how many new Canadians are needed in coming years.

The federal government has brought in on average about 250,000 immigrants and refugees annually, and in 2013 is expecting between 240,000 and 265,000.

"No explicit economic rationale exists in the economic literature or government documents to justify the current level of annual immigration. Nor are there explicit discussions of its cultural and social implications," according to Mr. Grubel.

A broad public policy debate involving politicians, academics and interest groups, whether it results in lower or higher immigrants, would at least ensure there is a "better informed and more rational Canadian immigration policy," he concluded.

I totally agree with phasing out the sponsorship of parents and grandparents and bringing in an employer-driven system to attract economic immigrants. Sick old relatives are a burden.

The worst abuse occurs with refugees. This should NOT be a backdoor to immigration. Temporary asylum to people facing REAL persecution and then send them elsewhere. Most refugees are economic migrants IMO anyway. We are taking refugees from Europe ffs!! :x The EU is an economic basketcase for sure, but they do NOT persecute their citizens.

Romero

We are dealing with it. Quite well.

It's not like immigrants and refugees have just started coming here recently and costing us money. Immigrants have made Canada one of the most wealthy and successful countries in the world. $20 billion is nothing. We spend money on health care, defence etc. We get the money we spend on immigrant services back many times fold. They keep the economy going.

Your family immigrated here and were provided with government services. Did they cost too much?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"

It's not like immigrants and refugees have just started coming here recently and costing us money. Immigrants have made Canada one of the most wealthy and successful countries in the world. $20 billion is nothing. We spend money on health care, defence etc. We get the money we spend on immigrant services back many times fold. They keep the economy going.

Your family immigrated here and were provided with government services. Did they cost too much?

The problem isn't highly skilled immigrants like my parents that have contributed so much to Canada. It is family reunification and especially refugees that are an enormous burden on taxpayers.

Romero

Quote from: "Shen Li"The problem isn't highly skilled immigrants like my parents that have contributed so much to Canada.

What a coincidence they just so happen to be your parents.

All immigrants and refugees are a net benefit to Canada. They've been coming here since before Canada became a nation and now we're one of the greatest countries in the world.

Odinson

Quote from: "Shen Li"The problem isn't highly skilled immigrants like my parents that have contributed so much to Canada.

All immigrants and refugees are a net benefit to Canada. They've been coming here since before Canada became a nation and now we're one of the greatest countries in the world.

Really... Canada?

Rwah rwah rwah.

Anonymous

Nope, family reunification and ESPECIALLY refugees are not really in our interests. Far too many refugees are just economic migrants that lack the skills to come here legally.

Obvious Li

sorry homy...my family came here in the 1850's and brought everything with them (including cash) on the back of a wagon....they have been paying in one form or an other for others ever since.........look elsewhere

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Shen Li"

Nope, family reunification and ESPECIALLY refugees are not really in our interests. Far too many refugees are just economic migrants that lack the skills to come here legally.
[/b]

wholeheartedly agree but do not necessarily blame the health care and welfare scammers....it is our fucking govt., courts and snivel servants that let them get away with it.....any body will game the system if they are allowed...look at the natives

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"

sorry homy...my family came here in the 1850's and brought everything with them (including cash) on the back of a wagon....they have been paying in one form or an other for others ever since.........look elsewhere

I think immigration if done right is an enormous boost to the economy. The exact opposite though for dishonest, uneducated Roma refugee claimants from Europe.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"
Quote from: "Shen Li"

[/b]

wholeheartedly agree but do not necessarily blame the health care and welfare scammers....it is our fucking govt., courts and snivel servants that let them get away with it.....any body will game the system if they are allowed...look at the natives

I know that handsome. The system encourages abuse, so we shouldn't act all surprised when that's exactly what happens.

Romero

Quote from: "Shen Li"Nope, family reunification and ESPECIALLY refugees are not really in our interests. Far too many refugees are just economic migrants that lack the skills to come here legally.

Maybe not in your interests. I've heard the same kind of argument from people who think Canada should only allow whites and Europeans. I can't tell you how many times I've heard how Asian immigrants aren't in our interests.

We should be concentrating on skilled immigrants and immigrants who have lots of cash, but no human being is more worthy than any other.

Canadians deserve to be reunified with their families, and refugees deserve a chance at a decent life. Why not? These people become excellent, contributing citizens.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"Nope, family reunification and ESPECIALLY refugees are not really in our interests. Far too many refugees are just economic migrants that lack the skills to come here legally.

Maybe not in your interests. I've heard the same kind of argument from people who think Canada should only allow whites and Europeans. I can't tell you how many times I've heard that Asian immigrants aren't in our interests.

We should be concentrating on skilled immigrants and immigrants who have lots of cash, but no human being is more worthy than any other.

Canadians deserve to be reunified with their families, and refugees deserve a chance at a decent life. Why not? These people become excellent, contributing citizens.

You are conflating issues here. Skin colour and national origin are not what we are talking about. We have successful from all nations.

Most refugees are scammers that cannot enter legally. Like OL said, you can't blame em as the system encourages "gaming". I am just saying we need to reconsider what is an overly generous refugee system that is a huge burden on this nation. Refugees are only in the interests of lawyers who make a living off taking advantage of the system.

Saltydog

Maybe not in your interests. I've heard the same kind of argument from people who think Canada should only allow whites and Europeans. I can't tell you how many times I've heard how Asian immigrants aren't in our interests.

Go back to Belarus you stupid communist.