Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Something I learned today...

Started by Chuck Bronson, July 23, 2018, 06:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"
Quote from: "Chuck Bronson"
Quote from: "Berry Sweet"I was just looking up German stuff...said that black forest cake is German?

Anything 'Black Forest' is German...

Huh...ive never read about it in any book about Germans...weird.

It's in South West Germany.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"I have no German ancestry and we had toy soldier nutcrackers too..

I still have one.

That's actually kind of strange, as they were pretty much strictly a German thing, only becoming popular outside of Europe when returning US soldiers brought them back with them after WWII...

I've seen them at yard sales.

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"
Quote from: "Fashionista"I have no German ancestry and we had toy soldier nutcrackers too..

I still have one.

That's actually kind of strange, as they were pretty much strictly a German thing, only becoming popular outside of Europe when returning US soldiers brought them back with them after WWII...

I've seen them at yard sales.

They are not as rare as Mel thinks.

cc

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"I was just looking up German stuff...said that black forest cake is German?

Have traveled through some of the Black Forest area some time back. It is a fantastic area

Returned home with a beautiful tall music stein  ... it played when lid was lifted - prolly a "tourist" thingy?
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Chuck Bronson

Quote from: "Fashionista"They are not as rare as Mel thinks.

I never said they were rare.  I simply stated that I found it curious that they'd be a 'thing' in Taiwan, since Germany and Taiwan share very little in the way of traditions.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"They are not as rare as Mel thinks.

I never said they were rare.  I simply stated that I found it curious that they'd be a 'thing' in Taiwan, since Germany and Taiwan share very little in the way of traditions.

I never said in Taiwan..

We had them here in Calgary..

But, you can find them in Taiwan..

It's very prosperous and Westernized and it used to host American servicemen until 1979.

Chuck Bronson

I believe that is cultural appropriation.  Unless you have some German lineage, I hereby issue a nutcracker cease and desist order effective immediately.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chuck Bronson"I believe that is cultural appropriation.  Unless you have some German lineage, I hereby issue a nutcracker cease and desist order effective immediately.

I'll Fedex you our nutcracker soldier.

:laugh:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"

Huh...ive never read about it in any book about Germans...weird.

No, it's a real thing.  But classically it's a torte, and the German name is more like Black Forest Cherry Torte.  It's usually laced with kirschwasser, a clear brandy distilled from sour cherries.

American bakeries also put out "black forest cake" but around here it's not authentic and not very good.

Odinson

Quote from: "Chuck Bronson"...after buying a big old container of mixed nuts.

It contains Brazil nuts (aka Black Toes, but probably best not to call 'em that anymore), and I learned that Brazil nuts are extremely high in Selenium content.  In fact, nothing contains more Selenium than Brazil nuts.

While the body seems to need a very small amount of Selenium, eating only six (6) Brazil nuts already puts one over the recommended daily maximum limit for this element, and regular consumption of larger amounts of these nuts can lead to selenium toxicity, so I picked them all out and ate them all at once just to see what happens...

I´ve eaten the whole bag at once and I got nothing..

I wasnt aware of the risk of poisoning.

Chuck Bronson

Quote from: "Fashionista"I'll Fedex you our nutcracker soldier.

:laugh:

It shouldn't have to come to this, but sadly it's the only way...