News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Mayor criticized for shooting an alligator to death which she claims ate her pet

Started by JOE, September 20, 2018, 11:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caskur

Quote from: "JOE"https://apple.news/AVfaNMoraRlqdZ2VkkH2RgA">https://apple.news/AVfaNMoraRlqdZ2VkkH2RgA

....did she do the right thing?

https://s.hdnux.com/photos/75/60/53/16190154/3/920x920.jpg">

Should she be attacked for having done so.

I'd be pretty mad if an alligator killed my favorite pet too.

And are alligators really worth saving?

Theyre not on an endangered list.

They're tremendously ugly, potentially dangerous plus they've attacked and killed people.

She should be given a medal imho.

Probably did her community a favor

There shouldn't be more than 10% apex preditors around at any time or it affects the environment.

Apex predators only have man to control them so yes, sometimes it is necessary to cull apex predators.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Anonymous

kiebers

Quote from: "Fashionista"Ten per cent of the mammal and bird population?

No, the top of the predator chain. Bears, Cougars, Gators in North America. Lions, tigers etc elsewhere. Venomous critters...that kind of thing.
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

Anonymous

Quote from: "kiebers"
Quote from: "Fashionista"Ten per cent of the mammal and bird population?

No, the top of the predator chain. Bears, Cougars, Gators in North America. Lions, tigers etc elsewhere. Venomous critters...that kind of thing.

As opposed to foxes, weasels and smaller carnivores..

I understand now, thank you.

ac_smile

Bricktop

Quote from: "JOE"
Quote from: "Bricktop"Yep.

Guarding against pythons really does justify everyone getting a gun.  Those damn reptiles get in anywhere.

And spiders!!! Don't get me started on spiders!!!

Ah, but we're not talking about spiders BT.

And this isn't 1975 anymore when you were in the police force.

The civilized 1st world nations where we live have more violent characterss & more extreme situations now. It's a different much less peaceful world.

Know close BY where cc lives, which is a nice area near Vancouver, a realtor answered his door one night, and was shot to death by an intruder. A handgun and knowing how to use it might have saved his life.

Btw he left behind a wife and 2 children. The family lost a dad and the society lost a hardworking citizen who paid a lot of taxes and was a productive member of the community.

That's just one example. I have others too.

Joe, your insight and wisdom never ceases to amaze. I was totally unaware of the current state of affairs in modern society.

Of course, you would be fully informed as to how society conducted itself in 1975, so your comparison is completely valid.

By the way, following on from your example, are you proposing that everyone procures a firearm, and makes sure they have it in their possession, cocked and ready to fire whenever the doorbell is rung?

Yep. THAT sounds like a plan.

I cannot help but wonder, when your creator was piecing you together, he or she became distracted and placed your bowel where you brain should be.

Angry White Male

North American dangerous game of any sort that become a problem can and should be put down.  None are species that are on the 'brink of extinction'...

While I am not a hunter, and do not side for nor against trophy kills, the fact remains...  Problem animals should be put down, especially if they show no fear of humans.  The only animal that is to be expected to show no fear of humans is the Polar Bear, believe it or not...  All the rest should, or there is a problem...

People living in Australia would not have the same grasp of this, nor would all North Americans for that matter.  

British Columbia (except the Islands...  Vancouver Island and Haidi Gwaii ship their Grizz's back to the Mainland after they make the miles long swim there) and Alaska is Grizzly country, almost exclusively.  We have bears here.  And they can be big, mean bears.

Most of the Lower 48 will not have Grizz's...  

We don't have crocs or alligators.  Not a problem.  But if they become a problem to the safety of people, one must deal with them.

Frood

Blahhhhhh...

Angry White Male

Years ago I once went camping in the Rockies with a bitch that I was trying to impress.  Pop up tent, and a couple of sleeping bags.  Nothing more.

I'm a light sleeper, and heard some BIG branches start snapping in the middle of the night...  Then some ruffling around the tent.

I couldn't do anything at that point but lay still in my bag in my plastic tent...

It was NOT a good feeling.

Angry White Male

Even my ex bitch the one time called me on it...  We were out in the mountains, and again I heard some massive branches crack.  This is always a warning sign that it's something big.

I suggested we get back into my truck for the moment, since we weren't that far.  Since I got there first, and 'didn't ensure her safety' in that regard, she made sure I knew it!   :laugh:

Next time I just drive off and leave whining bitch there...

Anonymous

One of the scariest moments we had while camping was a bull moose that seemed  upset we were too close.

Angry White Male

Quote from: "Fashionista"One of the scariest moments we had while camping was a bull moose that seemed  upset we were too close.

Yes.  They can get very mean also.

Fash, you need a gun.  Now, don't try to tell me Chinks don't like guns...  My trips to the gun range tells me otherwise.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Angry White Male"

People living in Australia would not have the same grasp of this

Yeah.

Because crocodiles and white pointer sharks are TERRIFIED of humans.

:001_rolleyes:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Angry White Male"
Quote from: "Fashionista"One of the scariest moments we had while camping was a bull moose that seemed  upset we were too close.

Yes.  They can get very mean also.

Fash, you need a gun.  Now, don't try to tell me Chinks don't like guns...  My trips to the gun range tells me otherwise.

We have survived this long without a weapon and we go camping a few times every summer.

Bricktop

Animals rarely attack. They frequently defend. If you don't threaten them, they will leave you be.

Frood

Blahhhhhh...