The best topic

Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

In the final days of the First World War, up to one quarter of the German Army was running from Canadians

Started by cc, November 10, 2018, 07:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Zetsu

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Zetsu"
Quote from: "Zetsu"Unlike today, I keep forgetting that Canada once had an well respected military, not to mention during WWII the only armed forces that were ever there to defend Hong Kong from the full scale IJA invasion were the 2 battalion deployed from Canada.

I didn't know that Zetsu?

Do you mean they remained after Imperial Japan conquered the colony of Hong Kong..

The Japanese would have either tortured them or slaughtered them.

Unfortunately many lost their lives, they were simply over whelmed... during that time the IJA beforehand already planned to use Hong Kong as one of the very few beachheads as a logistic point for the majority of their ground forces to enter into China.  :sad:

Hong Kong was strategic to Imperial Japan..

I'd like to read more about this Zetsu.

I guess Hong Kong had economical advantages for the Commonwealth and China, which I assume is important to take over that city first, along with a well developed infrastructure and her harbour serves as a key advantage for the Japanese army and navy to set up a base there, but this is just my guess.  

There weren't much history recorded during the Japanese invasion of Hong Kong b/c I hate to say this but the fortification prepared in Hong Kong didn't lasted long, everything ended abruptly due to against the extremely overwhelming odds and as you already know the unforgiving nature of the IJA, almost everyone, soldiers, medical staff, civilians, etc all met the same horrible fate.
Permanently off his rocker

Anonymous

Quote from: "Zetsu"Unlike today, I keep forgetting that Canada once had an well respected military, not to mention during WWII the only armed forces that were ever there to defend Hong Kong from the full scale IJA invasion were the 2 battalion deployed from Canada.

Do you mean they remained after Imperial Japan conquered the colony of Hong Kong..

Unfortunately many lost their lives, they were simply over whelmed... during that time the IJA beforehand already planned to use Hong Kong as one of the very few beachheads as a logistic point for the majority of their ground forces to enter into China.  :sad:

I guess Hong Kong had economical advantages for the Commonwealth and China, which I assume is important to take over that city first, along with a well developed infrastructure and her harbour serves as a key advantage for the Japanese army and navy to set up a base there, but this is just my guess.  

There weren't much history recorded during the Japanese invasion of Hong Kong b/c I hate to say this but the fortification prepared in Hong Kong didn't lasted long, everything ended abruptly due to against the extremely overwhelming odds and as you already know the unforgiving nature of the IJA, almost everyone, soldiers, medical staff, civilians, etc all met the same horrible fate.

One big difference between Germany in WW2 and Japan and the Soviet Union was Germany kept accurate records of everything while Japan much less and the Soviet Union, little to nothing.

Zetsu

Quote from: "Herman"

Canada used to have a first rate military before Pierre Trudeau. Thanks for reminding us about our glory days brother. ac_drinks

I've still have yet to read the book "Who killed the Canadian military" in my brothers bedroom, but now that you've mentioned about that traitor I'm not one bit surprised, the libtards sure did a great job in ruining Canada for true Canadians. ac_unsure

Anonymous

Hong Kong was very important to Japan.

Zetsu

One big difference between Germany in WW2 and Japan and the Soviet Union was Germany kept accurate records of everything while Japan much less and the Soviet Union, little to nothing.

What you say makes sense considering what the Japanese did, espeically their atrocity involving of disecting people without anesthetic or having a contest of seeing who can chop off the most civilian heads made the Nazis look like a saint.

Anonymous

What you say makes sense considering what the Japanese did, espeically their atrocity involving of disecting people without anesthetic or having a contest of seeing who can chop off the most civilian heads made the Nazis look like a saint.

The lack of a paper trail made it difficult for the Americans to prosecute more senior IJA officials at the Tokyo war crimes trial. More brutal senior Japanese officials should have been hung than what the Americans executed.

cc

Asia saw a hell and for a longer time period.

Canada did well for itself in all services during ww2. Much of the Army was in UK for Channel crossing ... and many were in S Africa > up through Italy and into the nazi underbelly

As to Navy, Canada became famous for the Corvettes .. built here for Can & Brits .. later for US  ..  ships accompanying freighters to England .. sub hunters hastily designed from whaling ships .. used to fill a gap until full destroyers came on line

Early in the war, Canadians flew for the RAF flying mainly Lancasters. (been in the one at Hamilton ON and got a run-though from people who actually flew them in combat). My grandpappy flew with one of the first RCAF squadrons to fly out of Britain, the Bluenose flying  Halifax bombers out of S Yorkshire
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"Asia saw a hell and for a longer time period.

Canada did well for itself in all services during ww2. Much of the Army was in UK for Channel crossing ... and many were in S Africa > up through Italy and into the nazi underbelly

As to Navy, Canada became famous for the Corvettes .. built here for Can & Brits .. later for US  ..  ships accompanying freighters to England .. sub hunters hastily designed from whaling ships .. used to fill a gap until full destroyers came on line

Early in the war, Canadians flew for the RAF flying mainly Lancasters. (been in the one at Hamilton ON and got a run-though from people who actually flew them in combat). My grandpappy flew with one of the first RCAF squadrons to fly out of Britain, the Bluenose flying  Halifax bombers out of S Yorkshire

Good information and great picture cc.

:smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:

Be sure to observe silence today at eleven am everyone.

Skippy

The Canadian force C helped defend Hong Kong against the Japanese they were betrayed by fifth columnists

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"Canada at its deadliest: The epic war-winning battle you've never heard of

Canadian memories of the First World War generally stick to Vimy Ridge. Vimy Ridge is the site of Canada's official First World War memorial, and it's the only battlefield that's made its way onto our currency and passports.

But while Vimy may have represented a rare victory in the war's darkest depths, historians, military commanders and First World War veterans themselves were more inclined to believe that Canada's greatest triumph would come at the war's end.

Below, a quick primer on the Last Hundred Days, the epic Canada-dominated finale to the Great War:

At one point, a quarter of the German Army was running from Canadians

The Last Hundred Days began on August 8, 1918 with an all-out attack on German positions in Amiens. By day's end, Canadian soldiers had obliterated German defences and advanced an incredible 13 kilometres.

It was the most jaw-dropping allied victory ever seen in the First World War up to that point.

For context, it had taken months of fighting and 500,000 dead to gain only eight kilometres of ground at Passchendaele. Up until this point, many First World War battles had followed a predictable pattern:

A lengthy artillery barrage followed by fixed-bayonet human wave attacks across no-man's-land. At Amiens, Canada rolled out a strategy that prioritized speed and unpredictability above all else: Tanks, motorized machine guns, cavalry, storm troopers and intricately timed artillery barrages all thrown at the enemy in a dizzying tidal wave of force. Erich Ludendorff, who by this time had become the effective military dictator of Germany, referred to August 8 as the "black day" of the German army.

As the Canadian breakout continued relentlessly into the autumn, Canadian Corps commander Arthur Currie would estimate that one quarter of all Germans on the Western Front were being shot at by Canadians.

A field of German guns captured by the Canadian Corps in the war's final days. Library and Archives Canada

https://nationalpostcom.files.wordpress.com/2018/11/somanyguns.jpg?w=640&quality=60&strip=all">

Germans may have explicitly avoided fighting Canadians until the very end

In the spring of 1918 Germany launched a last-ditch series of assaults designed to capture Paris and win the war before the United States army could show up in force. They devastated British lines to the Canadians' north and French lines to the Canadians' south, but the Canadians themselves eked out the offensive relatively untouched.

This may have been intentional: Canadian soldiers were so fanatically committed to killing Germans that it often creeped out their fellow Allies. The British and French may have shared bread and chocolates with German troops during the famous Christmas Truce of 1914, but as soon as Canadian troops joined the war in 1915 they pursued Germany with "a vendetta which did not end until the war ended," wrote the British war correspondent Philip Gibbs.

A tank used in the Battle of Amiens, the opening engagement of the Last Hundred Days.

https://nationalpostcom.files.wordpress.com/2018/11/tank.jpg?w=640&quality=60&strip=all">

Instead of winning the war, Germany's "Spring Offensive" had cost them tens of thousands of their best troops and had the unintended consequence of leaving Canada as one of the strongest armies left standing on the Western Front.

In the war's final months Canada would defeat 47 German divisions to the Americans' 46, despite suffering less than half the casualties.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/canada-at-its-deadliest-the-epic-war-winning-battle-youve-never-heard-of">https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/ca ... r-heard-of">https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/canada-at-its-deadliest-the-epic-war-winning-battle-youve-never-heard-of

Excellent thread cc.

:smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:

Taiwan was part of Japan in world war one..

Tomorrow is  Remember Day..

Be sure to observe silence for fallen soldies.

Korea too was part of the Japanese Empire in WW2. I bought my poppy and I will observe two minutes of silence right on eleven am.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Zetsu"Unlike today, I keep forgetting that Canada once had a well respected military, not to mention during WWII the only armed forces that were ever there to defend Hong Kong from the full scale IJA invasion were the 2 battalion deployed from Canada.

Canadian soldiers were brave unlike the Brits. ac_razz

@realAzhyaAryola

My sons' grandfather was a very good cook from the South and he was in the kitchen when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. He survived to tell that story.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

JOE

I'd rather not glorify the exploits of what Canadian soldiers did in World War I.

Canada was fighting a war on behalf of the British as a colonial power which the British were largely responsible and at fault for starting. If the Germans were to blame, then the British were equally at fault.

The idea that our soldiers hacked up or mutilated some young naive German boy who probably attended Church every Sunday does not gladden my heart in the least.

The Allied soldiers also killed a lot of German civilians and raped their women too.

I think the focus of Remembrance Day should be less about beating the stuffing out of some Germans who were more or less defending their home soil than about a collective suffering the world had experienced. More a 'We are all human' mentality.

I think the North Americans see the wars as a victory over the Germans while the Europeans think of it as a period of tremendous suffering in which neither side won, but lost a great deal.

Anonymous

Quote from: "@realAzhyaAryola"My sons' grandfather was a very good cook from the South and he was in the kitchen when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. He survived to tell that story.

And good stories they must have been.

Bricktop

Ah, Joe...those evil Brits.

Like Australia, Canada was called to arms by the UK in accordance with their defence pact.

However, what you and many other "historians" fail to acknowledge is that should Canada or Australia be subjected to attack, the British were committed to the defence of those nations.

This is probably why your country exists today. Touch Canada, and Britain will intervene. And make no mistake, up to and including WW2, the UK's armed forces were formidable, whilst Canada and Australian forces were little more than boy scout groups, with no deep sea navy, no long reach air force and an almost impotent ground based army.

Things may have changed...but rest assured, if Canada was threatened, the UK, the US, Australia and New Zealand would step up.