The best topic

Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

What January looked like in Oz.

Started by Bricktop, January 31, 2019, 12:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "caskur"I typed in Most reliable car brands...

Top 10 most reliable auto brands:

Lexus

Toyota

Mazda

Subaru

Kia

Infiniti

Audi

BMW

Mini

Hyundai

I have never owned any of those brands.

caskur

Quote from: "Herman"

Lexus

Toyota

Mazda

Subaru

Kia

Infiniti

Audi

BMW

Mini

Hyundai

Me either... I think my Aunty has a Hyundai. She bought it new and 21 years later, she is still driving it.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Anonymous

Quote from: "caskur"
Quote from: "Herman"

Lexus

Toyota

Mazda

Subaru

Kia

Infiniti

Audi

BMW

Mini

Hyundai

Me either... I think my Aunty has a Hyundai. She bought it new and 21 years later, she is still driving it.

I have driven just about all of them living abroad, but they weren't mine.

Frood

The earlier Hyundai's were pretty sht boxish but they've come a long way. Lexus is just a fancier Toyota.

I've owned a number of those makes and Toyota is the most reliable.
Blahhhhhh...

Bricktop

I can show you a dozen "most reliable" lists.

Not one of them will match any others.

Frood

That's probably true.

Depends on the model, where it's made, and where its parts are made.

However, mainstream Toyota products are usually reliable and because of the market uptake they're reasonably priced.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"The earlier Hyundai's were pretty sht boxish but they've come a long way. Lexus is just a fancier Toyota.

I've owned a number of those makes and Toyota is the most reliable.

That's what my husband says.

Bricktop

Honda is as good as Toyota, with better engineering.

Pretty much any Japanese vehicle will be reliable. I'm unconvinced about Hyundai/Kia.

Stay away from German cars, particularly the high end brands. They are cheap on the second hand market for a reason.

caskur

Quote from: "Bricktop"Honda is as good as Toyota, with better engineering.

Pretty much any Japanese vehicle will be reliable. I'm unconvinced about Hyundai/Kia.

Stay away from German cars, particularly the high end brands. They are cheap on the second hand market for a reason.

I can buy one of my cars on the second hand market between 12,000-16,000...

This is so crushing to me... I absolutely LOVE how my beautiful car handles on the road... it's got a built in roll bar for safetly... a boot you can sleep in, (I kid you not) has a phone battery charger mat that needs no wires....

Now that it's run in at 3,800 kms, it's like a quick little bullet.

But imagine if I just stopped in the middle of no where, like it did thankfully in my garage?
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

caskur

Back in the early 80's my friend bought a new Mitsubishi and she was forever running back to the dealer bc the handles kept coming apart...That sort of put me off.

I cursed Kurt yesterday for letting my Commodore go instead of fixing the body work... I'd still have it and be $30,000 richer.
- Andy Warhol

Bricktop

Quote from: "caskur"it's got a built in roll bar for safetly

In South Australia...and pretty much the rest of the country...you need a special permit to drive cars with built in roll bars on public roads.

What sort of car is it?

caskur

Quote from: "Bricktop"
Quote from: "caskur"it's got a built in roll bar for safetly

In South Australia...and pretty much the rest of the country...you need a special permit to drive cars with built in roll bars on public roads.

What sort of car is it?

GMH Malibu 2015 model.

https://www.auto123.com/en/new-cars/technical-specs/chevrolet/malibu/2015/base/ls/">https://www.auto123.com/en/new-cars/tec ... 5/base/ls/">https://www.auto123.com/en/new-cars/technical-specs/chevrolet/malibu/2015/base/ls/
- Andy Warhol

Bricktop

Mmmm...OK.

It doesn't have a built in roll bar.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/holden/malibu/price/2015/cd?id=DVTM4I1U">//https://www.carsguide.com.au/holden/malibu/price/2015/cd?id=DVTM4I1U

Lots of features though. But it falls into the same category as many other cars...an ordinary, basic engine and transmissions in a body filled with glitzy (often unnecessary) toys and gadgets. As you're now experiencing, all those gimmicks aren't worth much when your main CPU drops its lunch.

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"
Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Bricktop"Most southerners don't like humidity. But the heat is becoming rather onerous. 47.7 is not enjoyable.

I would prefer the general temperature to go back about 3 degrees to where it was 30 years ago.

I can understand that Bricktop..

We are in an Arctic chill right now with no end in sight.

Our trains in the West are on slow orders which means conductors and hog heads earn less money. Track maintenance has been delayed. Hydraulics don't work well colder than -35.

When it's this cold it has direct consequences for the national economy.

I know it's cheesy to quote your own posts, but I think everyone will forgive me this time. Due to the extreme cold, a train's air brake system failed and a CP train rolled down the steepest grade in North America while parked in a siding awaiting crew change. A locomotive engineer, who I know, a conductor and a conductor trainee all died after the head engine plunged sixty metres into the Kicking Horse River on the BC/Alberta border.

This deserves it's own thread in my opinion.

Bricktop

Ouch.

They should have had Freud at the controls. He'd know what to do.