The best topic

Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

the oil rigger thread

Started by Bricktop, February 20, 2019, 04:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Peaches"
Quote from: "iron horse jockey"There seems to be lots of opportunity in the industry. It's a good way to see the world.

Indeed, it seems so.  I've a pal who's mostly worked the US west and central south, who's had plenty of opportunities offshore but has chosen to stay closer to home.  He's retired now.  

Interestingly, the biggest difference between him and Herman is the drug of choice and the political leanings.  Perhaps there's a correlation there.

My husband is a master electrician..

He is the shop manager for a specialized oilfield service company that builds and maintain the top drive electrical systems for drilling rigs..

He has worked all around the world too including an expat assignment in Kazakhstan where I joined him..

My husband doesn't drink and has never tried drugs, and what little interest he has in politics are similar to Herman's views..

It's one industry where blue collar workers aren't swayed by the chattering classes.

Not sure about your reference to the "chattering classes" but if you're suggesting that blue collar workers as a class don't overlap with them, I'm pretty sure there are exceptions that test that rule.

However, the majority of oilfield workers of my acquaintance (fewer than 2 dozen) are more likely to lean right than left.  And those 2 dozen span a wide range of ages, from 101 down to maybe 25, so it's not a generational thing.

But in every related trade...pipefitters, electricians, all the homebuilding trades...I can find at least a few lefties.  In the mining business, which I'd assume is also blue collar, the ratio is closer to 50:50.

Anonymous

the chattering classes

phrase of chatter

plural noun: chattering classes

DEROGATORY•BRITISH

educated people, especially those in academic, artistic, or media circles.

There's a cultural war waged by these people against people like Herman. They can't bully them into submission, so they try to shut their industries down.

Kudos to people like Herman and IHJ for not surrendering to their leftist fascism. You guys are the reason this country has the living standards it does.

realgrimm

Nice, my shit binds ..oily pasty goo..I feel it

Anonymous

I don't work in the upstream side of the business. However, I know most of those guys are salt of the earth anti-libtards.