Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 06:52:08 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

AAA: Cold weather can cut electric car range over 40 per cent

Started by Anonymous, March 04, 2019, 02:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bricktop

Subsidies are wrong.

One person's "subsidy" is another person's increased tax burden.

Zetsu

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Zetsu"Now that gas has dropped to about a dollar $CAD per litre in Markham, think I'm gonna stick back to my civic hybrid, but most important the tax rebate is now gone for good, lol.

How much was the electric vehicle subsidy in Ontario.

Think teh liberals offered 14,000 $CAD for any EV, it was really nothing but a steal until Doug Ford became premier, but then I'm glad he decided to scrap it in the end, it's just kinda stupid to tax the Canadian oil industry and offer incentives for ppl to buy their competitor's products, in the end Trudeau is just really nothing but a piece of horse excrement, as usual.
Permanently off his rocker

Anonymous

Quote from: "Zetsu"
Quote from: "Zetsu"Now that gas has dropped to about a dollar $CAD per litre in Markham, think I'm gonna stick back to my civic hybrid, but most important the tax rebate is now gone for good, lol.

Think teh liberals offered 14,000 $CAD for any EV, it was really nothing but a steal until Doug Ford became premier, but then I'm glad he decided to scrap it in the end, it's just kinda stupid to tax the Canadian oil industry and offer incentives for ppl to buy their competitor's products, in the end Trudeau is just really nothing but a piece of horse excrement, as usual.

The government should not be using taxpayer money to give certain car manufacturers an unfair advantage over others.

Odinson

Here is something related to electric cars.

https://interestingengineering.com/diesel-cars-are-cleaner-than-some-evs-new-study-suggests">https://interestingengineering.com/dies ... y-suggests">https://interestingengineering.com/diesel-cars-are-cleaner-than-some-evs-new-study-suggests

"The last few years have seen a clear rise in electric vehicles (EVs) with even the world's biggest conventional automakers making plans to go electric. Increasingly, more and more industry experts are speculating we may see a switch to a 100% EV adaption sooner than we think.

Among the many reasons for choosing EVs, perhaps the most compelling one is their universally acknowledged environmentally friendly nature, a much-desired trait in a world threatened by impending climate change.

Now, German automotive consultancy Berylls Strategy Advisors, which describes itself as the "only relevant top management consulting firm working exclusively for the auto industry," is saying EVs may not be the eco-friendly champions the world so desperately needs.

Polluting EV batteries

Before you worry that these electric dream machines may actually release carbon emissions, rest assured this is not the case. Rather the environmental weakness of these cars lies in the production of their lithium-ion batteries, states the consultancy's new research.

Depending on where EVs are manufactured, the energy required to make their batteries results in a high carbon footprint. So high in fact that the automotive experts estimate that an "electric vehicle in Germany would take more than 10 years to break even with an efficient combustion engine's emissions."

"Electric cars appear to be the panacea and reduce emissions by 35 %. After all, electric vehicles do not emit any carbon dioxide while driving – at least that is a widely held opinion," said Dr Jan Burgard, managing partner at Berylls in a LinkedIn statement.

"However, from well to wheel, they do not really improve the situation. After all, electricity generation – including for electric cars – is still strongly dependent on fossil fuels in many EU countries. The climate does not care whether carbon dioxide comes from the exhaust pipe or whether it is released when lignite is burned to generate electricity or in energy-intensive battery production," added Burgard."

Wazzzup

Quote from: "Odinson"Depending on where EVs are manufactured, the energy required to make their batteries results in a high carbon footprint. So high in fact that the automotive experts estimate that an "electric vehicle in Germany would take more than 10 years to break even with an efficient combustion engine's emissions."
10 years wow.  Another one of those factoids climate changers would hate people to know about.

Quote from: "Odinson"After all, electricity generation – including for electric cars – is still strongly dependent on fossil fuels in many EU countries. The climate does not care whether carbon dioxide comes from the exhaust pipe or whether it is released when lignite is burned to generate electricity or in energy-intensive battery production," added Burgard."
I wonder how much CO2 a combustion engine produces, versus, how much CO2 is produced burning fossil fuels to charge an EV's battery.

Of course now you have to add in production of the battery as well.

https://i1.wp.com/www.bookwormroom.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Climate-change-electric-cars-shift-pollution.jpg">

Anonymous

Quote from: "Odinson"Here is something related to electric cars.

https://interestingengineering.com/diesel-cars-are-cleaner-than-some-evs-new-study-suggests">https://interestingengineering.com/dies ... y-suggests">https://interestingengineering.com/diesel-cars-are-cleaner-than-some-evs-new-study-suggests

"The last few years have seen a clear rise in electric vehicles (EVs) with even the world's biggest conventional automakers making plans to go electric. Increasingly, more and more industry experts are speculating we may see a switch to a 100% EV adaption sooner than we think.

Among the many reasons for choosing EVs, perhaps the most compelling one is their universally acknowledged environmentally friendly nature, a much-desired trait in a world threatened by impending climate change.

Now, German automotive consultancy Berylls Strategy Advisors, which describes itself as the "only relevant top management consulting firm working exclusively for the auto industry," is saying EVs may not be the eco-friendly champions the world so desperately needs.

Polluting EV batteries

Before you worry that these electric dream machines may actually release carbon emissions, rest assured this is not the case. Rather the environmental weakness of these cars lies in the production of their lithium-ion batteries, states the consultancy's new research.

Depending on where EVs are manufactured, the energy required to make their batteries results in a high carbon footprint. So high in fact that the automotive experts estimate that an "electric vehicle in Germany would take more than 10 years to break even with an efficient combustion engine's emissions."

"Electric cars appear to be the panacea and reduce emissions by 35 %. After all, electric vehicles do not emit any carbon dioxide while driving – at least that is a widely held opinion," said Dr Jan Burgard, managing partner at Berylls in a LinkedIn statement.

"However, from well to wheel, they do not really improve the situation. After all, electricity generation – including for electric cars – is still strongly dependent on fossil fuels in many EU countries. The climate does not care whether carbon dioxide comes from the exhaust pipe or whether it is released when lignite is burned to generate electricity or in energy-intensive battery production," added Burgard."

I moved this post here Odi..

It's about electric vehicles, so fits here.

Odinson

Polluting EV batteries

You know, I was sure you posted something similar but I couldnt find it in the thread so...  ac_biggrin

Anonymous

Quote from: "Odinson"

Polluting EV batteries

You know, I was sure you posted something similar but I couldnt find it in the thread so...  ac_biggrin

I don't recall.

ac_umm

Odinson

Polluting EV batteries

I don't recall.

ac_umm

Yes.. I was remembering the content of this thread..

Odinson

Quote from: "Wazzzup"
Quote from: "Odinson"Depending on where EVs are manufactured, the energy required to make their batteries results in a high carbon footprint. So high in fact that the automotive experts estimate that an "electric vehicle in Germany would take more than 10 years to break even with an efficient combustion engine's emissions."
10 years wow.  Another one of those factoids climate changers would hate people to know about.

Quote from: "Odinson"After all, electricity generation – including for electric cars – is still strongly dependent on fossil fuels in many EU countries. The climate does not care whether carbon dioxide comes from the exhaust pipe or whether it is released when lignite is burned to generate electricity or in energy-intensive battery production," added Burgard."
I wonder how much CO2 a combustion engine produces, versus, how much CO2 is produced burning fossil fuels to charge an EV's battery.

Of course now you have to add in production of the battery as well.

https://i1.wp.com/www.bookwormroom.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Climate-change-electric-cars-shift-pollution.jpg">https://i1.wp.com/www.bookwormroom.com/ ... lution.jpg">https://i1.wp.com/www.bookwormroom.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Climate-change-electric-cars-shift-pollution.jpg

They never really think about the logistics and production.

They are thinking about increasing our power requirements to a whole new level.. Because electricity comes from the wall socket and its clean.

A lot of people in the business are aware that green energy products dont really save the planet because the production pollution is way higher.

Odinson

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"Cold also cuts down the urge for Boom Boom by at least 40%.

And the tests they did were only at -6 celcius..

In the month of February, we had several nights of -30 which would mean they lose much more than 40%.

And we all know how other battery powered products fare in the cold..

My phone saps a lot quicker in the cold.

And its not due to me upping the phone heater..

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"Cold also cuts down the urge for Boom Boom by at least 40%.

In the month of February, we had several nights of -30 which would mean they lose much more than 40%.

Batteries don't like cold weather.

Odinson

The canadian winter kills the battery entirely.. And you cant recharge it until you get the car into a warm garage..

Recharging it would put the battery out of commission.

One can only imagine how much the battery costs when a small drill battery costs 50 bucks.

Anonymous

The canadian winter kills the battery entirely.. And you cant recharge it until you get the car into a warm garage..

Recharging it would put the battery out of commission.

One can only imagine how much the battery costs when a small drill battery costs 50 bucks.

I have no idea how much an electric vehicle battery costs or how long they last..

Zetsu probably knows.

Zetsu

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "Zetsu"

The government should not be using taxpayer money to give certain car manufacturers an unfair advantage over others.

I'm with ya brother, tbh it was pretty tempting, but I'm more happy the incentive is now gone for good in Ontario.  ac_drinks
Permanently off his rocker