Whisky is Coming!

Started by Frood, March 18, 2019, 04:37:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blazor"
Quote from: "Fashionista"
Blazor would like that.

Surprisingly, I have only seen a few episodes of Game of Thrones  :laugh:

While I can appreciate the uniqueness, I wouldnt be interested, especially at that price.

Now, had it been Lord of the Rings themed, and $20-30 a bottle, I would greatly be interested lol  :laugh:

Now that I think about it, I believe it's Odinson that liked Game of Thrones.

Bricktop

Blazor would like that.

While I can appreciate the uniqueness, I wouldnt be interested, especially at that price.

Now, had it been Lord of the Rings themed, and $20-30 a bottle, I would greatly be interested lol  :laugh:

Erm... ac_blush

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"
Blazor would like that.

Erm... ac_blush

And you.

Bricktop

Frood

Quote from: "Bricktop"Just as long as you bear in mind that these "collector" items are appealing only for their labels, not the contents of the bottle.

Don't expect to double your money any time soon.

They've already doubled on some places online but obviously, the plan is to hold on to them for decades and outlast the others who will inevitably drink them in moments of weakness.
Blahhhhhh...

Bricktop

Here's the problem as I see it; whisky collectors won't be terribly interested in the whiskies, and don't much care for marketing gimmicks. GoT fans won't care about the whiskies because they are more interested in House Stark or dragons.

They will have a moment of increased interest and value, but it won't endure.

It's like the old auto makers trick of putting out a special edition with a distinctive badge on it. Purchasers ask what's special about the car.

It's the badge.

The novelty wears off.

Frood

It's a calculated risk but one I believe will pay a tidy little sum in 30 or 40 years.
Blahhhhhh...

Bricktop

When your 67, that somehow lacks appeal.

Frood

Something to leave for your kids or grandchildren.
Blahhhhhh...

Bricktop

In the context of what is already their inheritance, 8 bottles of whisky will not be missed.

Frood

8 collectors items which happen to be moderately decent whisky.
Blahhhhhh...

Bricktop

Then buy a moderately decent whisky for around 10 to 20 percent less than the price of those bottles.

They are NOT top shelf expressions. If you bought them individually, my guess is around $650 the lot. Tops.

Frood

The 10-20 percent additional cost isn't much more for a collectible which can be drunk or gifted away should the investment not appreciate much or at all, though it already has.
Blahhhhhh...

caskur

Game of Thrones is EXTREMELY popular now BUT it won't be 30 or 40 years from now.

The only things of real value or that really holds value is gold and land and genuine antiques. Everything else is a fad really and should be seen as such.

I have stamps in mint condition packaged from 40 years ago... they're hardly worth anything.  Shrugs!!
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Bricktop

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"The 10-20 percent additional cost isn't much more for a collectible which can be drunk or gifted away should the investment not appreciate much or at all, though it already has.

Then throw your money down, Aaron.

They are collectable BOTTLES, not collectable whisky.