Replies: 10399
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 03:39:45 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Whisky is Coming!

Started by Frood, March 18, 2019, 04:37:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bricktop

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"The 10-20 percent additional cost isn't much more for a collectible which can be drunk or gifted away should the investment not appreciate much or at all, though it already has.

Then throw your money down, Aaron.

They are collectable BOTTLES, not collectable whisky.

Anonymous

Quote from: "caskur"Game of Thrones is EXTREMELY popular now BUT it won't be 30 or 40 years from now.

The only things of real value or that really holds value is gold and land and genuine antiques. Everything else is a fad really and should be seen as such.

I have stamps in mint condition packaged from 40 years ago... they're hardly worth anything.  Shrugs!!

I bought a few stocks through a broker thirty years ago and held on to some of them. I am glad I did.

Frood

Quote from: "Bricktop"
Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"The 10-20 percent additional cost isn't much more for a collectible which can be drunk or gifted away should the investment not appreciate much or at all, though it already has.

My name is not Aaron and yes, I snapped up a set in that brief window. However if full they're worth a hell of a lot more than empty. That makes the whisky part of the investment and you wrong.  :smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:
Blahhhhhh...

Bricktop

Yeah, Aaron...cos I know SHIT about whisky collecting.

And you're such an expert. I guess that's why you seek my advice about whisky.

WHISKY collectors don't touch "labelled" specials. Their interest is in the contents, not the packaging. If you threw $800 at $600 worth of whisky because the labels are "unique" (bearing in mind anything printed can easily be re-printed ad arbitrium) then good for you. And no doubt there will be people who will pay over the odds for such "collections".

But, compare this to other similar marketing promos by Diageo (owners of Johnnie Walker and all the brands in that collection).

After "Bladerunner 2049" they issued a special bottle (not whisky...just the bottle) that copied the futuristic design of the bottle used in the movie (a whisky collector will know this is similar to the "Bladerunner" glasses taken from the first film that became a cult item). It was sold for around $200 and sold out quickly.

Soon they appeared on Ebay for around $300....$350...

They are still around that mark.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_CAds=&_ex_kw=&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_mPrRngCbx=1&_nkw=johnnie+walker+blade+runner&_sacat=&_sadis=&_sop=12&_udhi=&_udlo=&_fosrp=1">//https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_CAds=&_ex_kw=&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_mPrRngCbx=1&_nkw=johnnie+walker+blade+runner&_sacat=&_sadis=&_sop=12&_udhi=&_udlo=&_fosrp=1

You can also see there is no shortage of sellers.

No-one gave a toss about the whisky...bog standard Black Label. It was the reproduction bottle people wanted. So, for their $200 investment, they got a $45 whisky...and a $90 bottle. GoT bottles will cause the same response. Do you think Diageo, one of the worlds biggest corporations, doesn't know a quick gimmick when it sees one?

Now, you will always get your money back, with a bit of interest, for this "collection". But ask yourself, if you plan to double your money, who will pay $1600 for ordinary whisky and a fancy label? I sure as shit wouldn't. There is NOTHING "rare" about those bottles other than Diageo limiting production to create a quick buck.

If you wish to invest in whisky, look for a 1967 Macallan. https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/themacallan/the-macallan-18-year-old-1967-whisky/?recommended_by=79691">//https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/themacallan/the-macallan-18-year-old-1967-whisky/?recommended_by=79691

$5000. That will grow in value and will appeal to whisky collectors. Now, that is a PREMIUM whisky from 1967...and asking price is 5K. Ask yourself how much your ordinary malts will be worth in 50 years...given that the contents are neither special or rare.

Now, don't fucking argue with me about whisky, boy. You haven't a clue. You won't lose money, but the "gimmick" factor of those bottles has a finite lifespan. They are not an investment.

Perhaps, before you lay your money down, you will consult with me for guidance and advice in the future.

Anonymous

I rarely drink, but if I do it's rum with fruit juice.

Bricktop

:roll:

More rum than juice, I bet!!!

I'd take you out to a bar ANY day of the week.

You get drunk, I get lucky!!

:6:

caskur

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"
Quote from: "Bricktop"

My name is not Aaron and yes, I snapped up a set in that brief window. However if full they're worth a hell of a lot more than empty. That makes the whisky part of the investment and you wrong.  :smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:

IF you sell them, it would be wiser to sell within 5 years... I wouldn;t wait any longer.

If you doubled your money, that would be the smart and  prudent thing to do.

But don't be a hoarder like Kurt with Sunbeam motor bikes and Harley Davidson Sturges and bloody chldhoodhood leather cowboy suits.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Frood

Quote from: "Bricktop"Yeah, Aaron...cos I know SHIT about whisky collecting.

And you're such an expert. I guess that's why you seek my advice about whisky.

WHISKY collectors don't touch "labelled" specials. Their interest is in the contents, not the packaging. If you threw $800 at $600 worth of whisky because the labels are "unique" (bearing in mind anything printed can easily be re-printed ad arbitrium) then good for you. And no doubt there will be people who will pay over the odds for such "collections".

But, compare this to other similar marketing promos by Diageo (owners of Johnnie Walker and all the brands in that collection).

After "Bladerunner 2049" they issued a special bottle (not whisky...just the bottle) that copied the futuristic design of the bottle used in the movie (a whisky collector will know this is similar to the "Bladerunner" glasses taken from the first film that became a cult item). It was sold for around $200 and sold out quickly.

Soon they appeared on Ebay for around $300....$350...

They are still around that mark.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_CAds=&_ex_kw=&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_mPrRngCbx=1&_nkw=johnnie+walker+blade+runner&_sacat=&_sadis=&_sop=12&_udhi=&_udlo=&_fosrp=1">//https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_CAds=&_ex_kw=&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_mPrRngCbx=1&_nkw=johnnie+walker+blade+runner&_sacat=&_sadis=&_sop=12&_udhi=&_udlo=&_fosrp=1

You can also see there is no shortage of sellers.

No-one gave a toss about the whisky...bog standard Black Label. It was the reproduction bottle people wanted. So, for their $200 investment, they got a $45 whisky...and a $90 bottle. GoT bottles will cause the same response. Do you think Diageo, one of the worlds biggest corporations, doesn't know a quick gimmick when it sees one?

Now, you will always get your money back, with a bit of interest, for this "collection". But ask yourself, if you plan to double your money, who will pay $1600 for ordinary whisky and a fancy label? I sure as shit wouldn't. There is NOTHING "rare" about those bottles other than Diageo limiting production to create a quick buck.

If you wish to invest in whisky, look for a 1967 Macallan. https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/themacallan/the-macallan-18-year-old-1967-whisky/?recommended_by=79691">//https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/themacallan/the-macallan-18-year-old-1967-whisky/?recommended_by=79691

$5000. That will grow in value and will appeal to whisky collectors. Now, that is a PREMIUM whisky from 1967...and asking price is 5K. Ask yourself how much your ordinary malts will be worth in 50 years...given that the contents are neither special or rare.

Now, don't fucking argue with me about whisky, boy. You haven't a clue. You won't lose money, but the "gimmick" factor of those bottles has a finite lifespan. They are not an investment.

Perhaps, before you lay your money down, you will consult with me for guidance and advice in the future.

I might ask you about whisky again but not about collectibles or investing. Those two bits are a struggle for your little pea brain to work out.

Btw, check out the prices for full Duff beer vessels vs empty ones.

So the alcohol is an investment component to the collectible and you're still wrong. :)
Blahhhhhh...

Bricktop

Of course full examples will fetch a higher price. Was that in dispute??

Once emptied, they become "used" in effect. WTF are you rambling about? Nowhere have we mentioned full vs empty.

Don't ask me about whisky unless you're prepared to listen...a quality you've thus far failed to display in the many years it has been my misfortune to hold your acquaintance.

Frood

Quote from: "Bricktop"Of course full examples will fetch a higher price. Was that in dispute??

Once emptied, they become "used" in effect. WTF are you rambling about? Nowhere have we mentioned full vs empty.

Don't ask me about whisky unless you're prepared to listen...a quality you've thus far failed to display in the many years it has been my misfortune to hold your acquaintance.

:001_rolleyes:

While I appreciated your advice and help with Scotch and still do, I can't help but to laugh a little to myself how you rode in here guns a blazing at the mere mention of whisky then took it upon yourself to roost on the topic not realizing it was more collectible-investment topical than actually whisky related.

Like a poodle protecting its squeaky toy, you simply couldn't help yourself. You love Scotch Whisky and therefore you self anointed yourself the ruler of my thread (about a collectible line of GOT whiskies badged by Houses in the series which I found limited enough in edition, something with a massive fan base, worthy of investment consideration, pretty damn cheap compared with comparable bottles of the same spirits, and already appreciating in value within other Western nations which got their allotments earlier.)

YOU decided to hound dog the whisky only, like an insecure snob (despite us talking about how pleasant tasting a couple of them were in prior conversations).

I even made it clear from the onset that the actual contents of the bottles were moderate in traditional senses, but nooooo. That wasn't enough for you. You are the Scotch officianado and hallway monitor after all, at least on this board, and your narcissism and insecurities still couldn't take a breather from making an arse of yourself.

To be honest though, I wasn't very surprised.

You've done the same thing with police or gun or self defence threads since like ever. You were a cop decades ago in Australia and apparently that means you'll continue to talk Statist Authoritarian shite any time you like in any thread even if, like this thread, it wasn't required or welcomed (OR ON TOPIC).

That's how you roll.

You interject your biases and ignorances.

The same with hunting for meat. It's apparently barbaric and inhumane to hunt for one's meat but completely fine to rely on questionable farms to supply. Though with you it's not actually about meat, like my GOT collectibles. It's about the ability of common people, people you hold in perpetual contempt for reasons unknown since you're even more common, you know...... being able to launch a projectile even to eat. Your disgust of hunting is a manifestation of your insecurity about non State kills.

You are a Statist Authoritarian and Cowardly Twat with limp wrists.

But I value your whisky knowledge still. At least you have THAT over me still.  :laugh:
Blahhhhhh...

Bricktop

Well...yeah...whatever you say, Aaron.

You dropped $800 on $600 worth of whisky on a GOOD day.

You never cease demonstrating how utterly stupid you are.

Frood

^^^ this is why cops get pistol whipped and killed by their own side arms and why I laugh when it happens.
Blahhhhhh...

caskur

Quote from: "Bricktop"Of course full examples will fetch a higher price. Was that in dispute??

What is stopping people buying the cheapest whiskey printing off GoT labels and sticking them on the cheap whiskey?
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Anonymous

Quote from: "caskur"

What is stopping people buying the cheapest whiskey printing off GoT labels and sticking them on the cheap whiskey?

Like BT, I too like my expensive spirits. I never bought a bottle because of a gimmicky label on it.

caskur

Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "caskur"

Like BT, I too like my expensive spirits. I never bought a bottle because of a gimmicky label on it.

My favourite is Grand Marnier, (triple orange cognac)
- Andy Warhol