Replies: 10472
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 27, 2024, 06:55:02 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

The 15/hr bullshit

Started by Rancidmilko, April 09, 2019, 12:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bricktop

QuoteHaving established that award wage increases are passed through to wages, the next step is to see if this leads to any reduction in hours worked or job loss; this would be the case if the DD estimates are negative for hours worked and positive for the job destruction rate. There is no evidence that award wage changes have an adverse effect on hours worked or the job destruction rate:

https://www.rba.gov.au/publications/bulletin/2018/sep/the-effect-of-minimum-wage-increases-on-wages-hours-worked-and-job-loss.html">//https://www.rba.gov.au/publications/bulletin/2018/sep/the-effect-of-minimum-wage-increases-on-wages-hours-worked-and-job-loss.html

I doubt that any Australian worker would wish to abandon the minimum wage system in lieu of a gratuity based form of remuneration.

And I repeat...being paid a fixed wage does NOT exclude the payment of tips for good service. It is simply that they are not expected.

Frood

Tips aren't expected or offered here because prices are steep, wages inflated, and customer service levels negligible.

All the reasons why their US counterparts make much more money at the end of the day.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=431290 time=1639876697 user_id=1676
Tips aren't expected or offered here because prices are steep, wages inflated, and customer service levels negligible.

All the reasons why their US counterparts make much money at the end of the day.

Australian businesses are more efficient than their North American counterparts. Automation is more widespread down under than here.

Frood

Quote from: seoulbro post_id=431292 time=1639876886 user_id=114

All the reasons why their US counterparts make much money at the end of the day.

Australian businesses are more efficient than their North American counterparts. Automation is more widespread down under than here.

First I've heard of it.

Besides ordering kiosks at McDonald's, we function much the same as always.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=431295 time=1639877115 user_id=1676

First I've heard of it.

Interesting.

There was an article in the National Post comparing small business enterprises in Canada, the US, and Australia. It claimed Austrlian businesses employed the least amount of labour, used more under eighteens to keep wages lower, more automation and customers in restaurants often pick up their own orders and bring them to their tables. Having never been to Australia, I can't confirm how common any of that is.

Frood

Quote from: seoulbro post_id=431296 time=1639878035 user_id=114
Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=431295 time=1639877115 user_id=1676

First I've heard of it.

Interesting.

There was an article in the National Post comparing small business enterprises in Canada, the US, and Australia. It claimed Austrlian businesses employed the least amount of labour, used more under eighteens to keep wages lower, more automation and customers in restaurants often pick up their own orders and bring them to their tables. Having never been to Australia, I can't confirm how common any of that is.

:laugh:

Yes, Bistros and other similar Ponderosa/Sizzler styled venues either get you to order at the counter and a waiter delivers it or you order at the counter and fetch it yourself when it's ready.

That's not automation though.... it's grifting.

Customer service is unheard of here. Australia is a cunt of an economy to function in.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Left wing politicians use making the rich pay a populist slogan, but as we can see from the dishonesty of rapid minimum wage increases it's single moms and students working part time as servers who they really want to pay more.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=431301 time=1639878878 user_id=1676

Yes, Bistros and other similar Ponderosa/Sizzler styled venues either get you to order at the counter and a waiter delivers it or you order at the counter and fetch it yourself when it's ready.

Customer service is unheard of here. Australia is a cunt of an economy to function in.

You might want to consider moving to the economic paradise that is the USA, then.

Anonymous

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=431432 time=1639950186 user_id=1560

You might want to consider moving to the economic paradise that is the USA, then.

It wasn't paradise, but it was as good as any place in thr world when Trump was in office.

Anonymous

All my life I have been in favour of higher minimum wages. But, as they have rose in just about every province, overall industrial wages have flatlined or even been clawed back.

Frood

I want nothing to do with the US, as it stands now.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=431449 time=1639962922 user_id=1676

The US is still salvageable. If it continued as is for another decade it wouldn't be.

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey" post_id=431447 time=1639962725 user_id=2015
All my life I have been in favour of higher minimum wages. But, as they have rose in just about every province, overall industrial wages have flatlined or even been clawed back.

The success of industrial policy lays in the economic well being of the vast middle, not those on the fringes.

Frood

Quote from: seoulbro post_id=431456 time=1639963417 user_id=114

The US is still salvageable. If it continued as is for another decade it wouldn't be.

Too much is being spent now. The dollar is rapidly devaluating before people's eyes.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=431458 time=1639963663 user_id=1676
Quote from: seoulbro post_id=431456 time=1639963417 user_id=114

Too much is being spent now. The dollar is rapidly devaluating before people's eyes.

Absolutely. But, there's still a window to redeem itself. If they win the house next year and the presidency in 24, they will have to act fast. The problem is that Trump Republicans do not believe debt is one of the biggest problems facing the US.