The best topic

Replies: 10393
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:41:25 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

A

Singapore passes controversial 'fake news' law which critics fear will stifle free speech

Started by Anonymous, May 10, 2019, 09:16:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "caskur"
Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "caskur"Does Singapore still have strict littering laws?

There is a reason why they call Singapore a fine city. Yes, there are fines for littering.

My cousin went there last year...

But years ago, possibly the 70s, my grandmother went there and she was a smoker and had to carry around a tiny tin ashtray that closed up. She was warned by authorities dropping butts meant a flogging....lol

I thought that was wonderful. I wished we had that law.

Don't they have a junk food tax?

There are very few "junk food" outlets.

Food quality and health standards are extremely well policed. And Chinese people are very particular about their food. It is always good quality, fresh and tasty.

Burger chains have no traction there. I think pizza does slightly better. But the Chinese "street" and take away vendors do a roaring trade at lunch time.

I posted pics of their street food some time ago.

Anonymous

There is a reason why they call Singapore a fine city. Yes, there are fines for littering.

They flog Americans there. You should avoid it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_P._Fay">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_P._Fay

The little bastard had it coming to him.

I have an aunt that lives in Singapore. They have floated the idea of taxing or even banning sugary drinks, but nothing so far I think.

Odinson

caskur

Quote from: "Shen Li"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_P._Fay">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_P._Fay

I have an aunt that lives in Singapore. They have floated the idea of taxing or even banning sugary drinks, but nothing so far I think.

Asian food, yummy yummy as it is, still has unhealthy ingredients like... Palm sugar (yummy) coconut milk (yummy) should be used sparingly...

My Fillipina aunty got fat (by Asian standards) one time and the doctor told her to cut out the coconut milk...

She made two foods (to die for) using coconut milk.

One was a dessert the Fillipinos make when visiting the graves of the dead, made from Sticky rice, palm sugar and coconut milk (yum yum)

And the other food she made was chicken, pork, eggplant, pumpkin, silverbeet (swisschard) cooked in coconut milk and served with rice.... I miss her... I should make some myself.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Bricktop

Anonymous

Asian food, yummy yummy as it is, still has unhealthy ingredients like... Palm sugar (yummy) coconut milk (yummy) should be used sparingly...

My Fillipina aunty got fat (by Asian standards) one time and the doctor told her to cut out the coconut milk...

One was a dessert the Fillipinos make when visiting the graves of the dead, made from Sticky rice, palm sugar and coconut milk (yum yum)

And the other food she made was chicken, pork, eggplant, pumpkin, silverbeet (swisschard) cooked in coconut milk and served with rice.... I miss her... I should make some myself.

Coconut milk can actually stimulate weight loss.

Thiel

Quote from: "Bricktop"A car in Singapore will cost you $150,000 because of the enormous tariffs, and you must dispose of it once it reaches 5 years old. EVERY car park in public and private property will cost you. Prices of fuel, alcohol and restaurants are MASSIVE. Major roads are tollways.  

Prostitution is illegal. Apparently.

Street food is cheap enough.

Alcohol in bars and restaurants is really expensive. Even a cheap bottle of wine in hawker centres is a lot more than in Winnipeg.
gay, conservative and proud

Bricktop

We went to Raffles for dinner.

They were serving bottles of wine from Australia that we wouldn't cook with for $200!!!

Thiel

Quote from: "Bricktop"We went to Raffles for dinner.

They were serving bottles of wine from Australia that we wouldn't cook with for $200!!!

I've only seen the outside of that place.
gay, conservative and proud

Bricktop

Next time you're there, visit the Long Bar. It's like going back in time.

caskur

Quote from: "Fashionista"

Coconut milk can actually stimulate weight loss.

That's what they say to sell it to you. It's untrue.

It's not going to hurt you if you have it now and again but if you have too much, the weight will go on.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Anonymous

I would imagine golfers have to indulge their favourite game in Malaysia?

caskur

Quote from: "Bricktop"Coconut milk is largely used in south east asian dishes, not Chinese.

It's used in the Phillippines and Thailand and Indonesia... who cares what the Chinese do?
- Andy Warhol

Anonymous

Take a look at this caskur

Top 3 health benefits of coconut milk

Research suggests that coconut milk has three main health benefits. Below, we describe the effects on weight loss, heart health, and the immune system.

1. Weight loss

Coconut milk contains medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which researchers have linked with weight loss. MCTs stimulate energy through a process called thermogenesis, or heat production.

Some studies indicate that MCTs work to reduce body weight and waist size. They may also balance out unstable gut microbiota. A lack of this stability may play a role in developing obesity.

A 2015 study in overweight men found that consuming MCTs at breakfast led to reduced food intake later in the day.

Findings of a 2018 study suggest that MCTs increase insulin sensitivity, and many researchers believe that this sensitivity promotes weight loss. Insulin is an essential hormone that breaks down glucose and controls blood sugar levels.

2. Heart health

Research has linked diets rich in saturated fat with high cholesterol and an increased risk of heart disease.

Some people may not consider coconut milk to be heart-healthy, because of its high fat content.

However, different sources of saturated fats may affect the body in different ways. Also, genetics play a role in how a person metabolizes saturated fats and the extent to which these fats impact health.

Scant research has investigated the effects of coconut milk on cholesterol levels. However, a substantial body of research has explored the effects of coconut oil.

One study found that coconut oil did not significantly increase levels of "bad cholesterol," or low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, but that it did increase levels of "good cholesterol," or high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL).

It is important to note that the study period was short, only 4 weeks, and that the research was lacking in controls.

HDL cholesterol protects the heart and removes LDL cholesterol from the blood. It carries LDL cholesterol to the liver, which breaks it down, and the body eventually eliminates it.

While coconut oil may not raise levels of LDL cholesterol, coconut-based products are high in fat and calories. People should only consume them in moderation.

Keep in mind that coconut oil has substantially more fat per serving than coconut milk, which will have less dramatic effects on cholesterol levels.

Boots immune system

Coconuts contain a lipid called lauric acid, and many researchers believe that lauric acid can support the immune system.

Some findings indicate that lauric acid has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties.

In a study of the antimicrobial effects of lauric acid from coconuts, the researchers isolated various bacterial strains and exposed them to lauric acid in petri dishes.

They found that lauric acid effectively inhibited the growth of Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus pneumoniae, and Mycobacterium tuberculosis.

Other researchers found that lauric acid triggers apoptosis, cell death, in breast and endometrial cancer cells. The findings suggest that this acid inhibits cancer cell growth by stimulating certain receptor proteins that regulate the growth of cells

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323743.php">https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323743.php

Bricktop

Quote from: "Bricktop"Coconut milk is largely used in south east asian dishes, not Chinese.

It's used in the Phillippines and Thailand and Indonesia... who cares what the Chinese do?

I suspect the Chinese do.