Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 03:55:08 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

"Your heart is fine. But..."

Started by Bricktop, May 30, 2019, 08:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bricktop

I hate it when doctors say "but".

I had to have my heart monitored due to a very slow pulse...44 bpm. Slow, but not critical.

So I go to the cardiologist yesterday to get the results of the tests.

They showed that the heart is in good shape, and that my slow pulse is largely due to my high levels of fitness for most of my life. Cool.

Thanks Doc...

"Er...but..."

It seems I can look forward to having a Pacemaker fitted in the foreseeable future due to "wear and tear" on the muscles that control the heartbeat...as a result of them being worked hard to keep me fit.

Because of my age and natural deterioration, the chances are high I'll start having fainting spells. Then it's Pacemaker time!!!

:dash1:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"I hate it when doctors say "but".

I had to have my heart monitored due to a very slow pulse...44 bpm. Slow, but not critical.

They showed that the heart is in good shape, and that my slow pulse is largely due to my high levels of fitness for most of my life. Cool.

Thanks Doc...

"Er...but..."

It seems I can look forward to having a Pacemaker fitted in the foreseeable future due to "wear and tear" on the muscles that control the heartbeat...as a result of them being worked hard to keep me fit.

Because of my age and natural deterioration, the chances are high I'll start having fainting spells. Then it's Pacemaker time!!!

There's your medal for keeping fit.  Sorry about this BT. But, a person can live a normal life with a pacemaker.

Bricktop

Yes, that's what he said.

However, if the fainting spells start because my pulse drops too low, my ability to drive, travel, exert myself and generally live in active life are compromised.

Apparently modern Pacemakers are quite small, very effective, and connect to the internet.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Yes, that's what he said.

However, if the fainting spells start because my pulse drops too low, my ability to drive, travel, exert myself and generally live in active life are compromised.

Apparently modern Pacemakers are quite small, very effective, and connect to the internet.

In my province, Ontario, they take away your driving privileges if you are admitted to hospital for a fainting spell. That is until appropriate medical procedures like a pacemaker have been carried out.

Bricktop

Same here.

If you see the Doc and he recommends a surgical procedure, but you decline, he or she is compelled by law to submit a licence cancellation request to the appropriate Department.

Anonymous

Thanks Doc...

"Er...but..."

I hope you will be okay Bricktop....I'm sure you'll be okay.

Anonymous

Thanks Doc...

"Er...but..."

Jeez, that is a bummer. I live a healthy lifestyle too, but that doesn't mean I am guaranteed good health.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Fashionista"

Thanks Doc...

"Er...but..."

There's no cause for alarm. Apparently having a Pacemaker fitted is far less trauma than hip or knee replacements. I don't know how I'd feel about my heart being managed by a computer, though.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"

Thanks Doc...

"Er...but..."

There's no cause for alarm. Apparently having a Pacemaker fitted is far less trauma than hip or knee replacements. I don't know how I'd feel about my heart being managed by a computer, though.

I hope so, hip and oknee replacements are major surgeries with long recovery times.

Wazzzup

Thanks Doc...

"Er...but..."

I hope so, hip and oknee replacements are major surgeries with long recovery times.
I think that has changed somewhat.  I remember when my grandmother got her knee fixed in the 80s she was in serious pain for few weeks.  My mother got her's replaced a couple years back and she recovered in a day or two and said she never had any real pain.  However it could be the nature of the surgery played a role too.

Wazzzup

Thanks Doc...

"Er...but..."

Sorry about the bad news Brick.  But I hope, and think that you will do fine when you get your pacemaker.  You probably won't even have to cut back on the scotch. :laugh:  ac_drinks

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wazzzup"

Thanks Doc...

"Er...but..."

I think that has changed somewhat.  I remember when my grandmother got her knee fixed in the 80s she was in serious pain for few weeks.  My mother got her's replaced a couple years back and she recovered in a day or two and said she never had any real pain.  However it could be the nature of the surgery played a role too.

There's a man in our church who had knee surgery(I'm not exactly sure what kind of surgery) and his physician said they had to wait one year after surgery on the first knee to operate on the other.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Wazzzup"

Thanks Doc...

"Er...but..."

Sorry about the bad news Brick.  But I hope, and think that you will do fine when you get your pacemaker.  You probably won't even have to cut back on the scotch. :laugh:  ac_drinks

I have private health cover, so I can afford the "Deluxe" unit that enables the consumption of fine whiskies.

The cheap ones only permit beer. ac_drinks

@realAzhyaAryola

Yikes. A new project for you to keep the mind, body, and heart in tip top shape. All the best to you as surely you are not alone.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Bricktop

I'm afraid the body isn't what it used to be.

I've led a quite active and vigorous lifestyle, which has perhaps benefited my heart, but has done no service to the knees arms and back, all of which are failing and preventing any arduous physical exercise.

I can swim quite comfortably...but you guys have stolen our sun and we're entering a new ice age down here.

However, the cardiologist put it quite well. He said that two generations ago, I'd be within a few years of meeting the reaper. Our longevity has increased much.