Replies: 10410
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:12:59 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

A

Chaos at Shanghai Costco

Started by Anonymous, August 28, 2019, 04:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 4 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

SHANGHAI — U.S. hypermarket chain Costco Wholesale Corp. was forced to shut its first store in China early on its opening day on Tuesday, according to state media, after large crowds flocked through the door and caused traffic jams in the Shanghai neighbourhood.

Videos posted on Chinese social media showed thousands of people crowding the aisles of the store in Shanghai's Minhang district, while signs outside warned incoming shoppers that they might have to wait three hours to park.

One nearby school sent out an advisory to parents warning them about the traffic conditions. "Please expect the student dismissal this afternoon to be severely delayed due to the grand opening of Costco supermarket," said the message.

A news website run by the Shanghai government, thepaper.cn, reported on social media at 2:43 p.m. that the store had shut early, citing the local district government.

"Due to the extremely large crowds at the newly opened supermarket, for the safety of the public we urge that residents consume in a rational manner and choose to go shopping at an off-peak time," it reported.

Costco did not immediately respond to Reuters' request for comment.

Costco announced last month that it would open its first store in China.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"SHANGHAI — U.S. hypermarket chain Costco Wholesale Corp. was forced to shut its first store in China early on its opening day on Tuesday, according to state media, after large crowds flocked through the door and caused traffic jams in the Shanghai neighbourhood.

Videos posted on Chinese social media showed thousands of people crowding the aisles of the store in Shanghai's Minhang district, while signs outside warned incoming shoppers that they might have to wait three hours to park.

One nearby school sent out an advisory to parents warning them about the traffic conditions. "Please expect the student dismissal this afternoon to be severely delayed due to the grand opening of Costco supermarket," said the message.

A news website run by the Shanghai government, thepaper.cn, reported on social media at 2:43 p.m. that the store had shut early, citing the local district government.

"Due to the extremely large crowds at the newly opened supermarket, for the safety of the public we urge that residents consume in a rational manner and choose to go shopping at an off-peak time," it reported.

Costco did not immediately respond to Reuters' request for comment.

Costco announced last month that it would open its first store in China.

Chinese in Canada like Costco, so I knew it would be a hit in China.

Anonymous

Costco sells quality merchandise, but crowds are stressful.

Vancouver

A Costco membership is $60 a year. Not worth it for me. A lot of their products you have to buy in bulk. I choose Walmart. No annual fee.
Time is malleable

Bricktop

Anonymous

Quote from: "TheVancouverGuy"A Costco membership is $60 a year. Not worth it for me. A lot of their products you have to buy in bulk. I choose Walmart. No annual fee.

The old lady is Chinese. She likes Costco. But, it doesn't make a lot of sense for just the two of us. Besides, I don't live close to a city.

Bricktop

We save around 10c a litre on fuel alone.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"We save around 10c a litre on fuel alone.

I live two hundred kilometres from the nearest Costco. I aint driving over four hundred clicks to save seven cents per litre on fuel.

Bricktop

You're a rig pig!!

Haven't you got your own oil well?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"You're a rig pig!!

Haven't you got your own oil well?

Actually, I have had oil wells drilled on my property. I only get paid when the seismic crews are working, when the lease is built and when drilling and service crews are on site. I don't have mineral rights.

Anonymous

Quote from: "TheVancouverGuy"A Costco membership is $60 a year. Not worth it for me. A lot of their products you have to buy in bulk. I choose Walmart. No annual fee.

Costco has better selection than Walmart. But, with only two people in our house, it's not always practical to shop at Costco.

@realAzhyaAryola

I was a member in the USA but my membership has since expired and I do not think I want to apply again over here. I used to shop there when my children were still in school.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "@realAzhyaAryola"I was a member in the USA but my membership has since expired and I do not think I want to apply again over here. I used to shop there when my children were still in school.

With a family it makes sense to have a membership.

Berry Sweet

I dont understand why people put themselves in situations where there will be massive people along with very stupid and possible dangerous situations.  I'll take a hard pass.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"I dont understand why people put themselves in situations where there will be massive people along with very stupid and possible dangerous situations.  I'll take a hard pass.

There's a Philippines fast food chain  called Jollibee..

They just opened their first restaurant in Alberta up in Edmonton..

They have tents set up outside because at any time their is at least a two hour wait..

There is even a new venture  called skip the line where people will wait in line for you.