The best topic

Replies: 10410
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:12:59 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

Vancouver bus strike

Started by Superchecker, November 22, 2019, 08:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Superchecker"
Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "TheVancouverGuy"Bus strike is over, now it's SkyTrain strike. No SkyTrain service next Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.

What? The transit system in Vancouver is not unified like Toronto's TTC?

TransLink does the planning and the funding of the regions transit system and major road network.

Coast Mountain bus company is an operating subsidiary, that operates the SeaBus and about 98% of the regions buses.

BCRTC is a subsidiary, that operates the Expo and Millennium line SkyTrain lines.

West Coast Express is contracted to operate the commuter rail line

Transit Police is another subsidiary

HandyDART is contracted out

West Vancouver blue bus is separate

Canada line is separate

About a dozen community shuttle bus routes are contracted out

What a hodge podge of transit systems. You work for Coast Mountain?

Superchecker

Yes, approximately 4000 bus drivers, and 1000 maintenance and SeaBus staff.

Was part of BC Transit until April 1999
<t></t>

Anonymous

Yes, approximately 4000 bus drivers, and 1000 maintenance and SeaBus staff.

Was part of BC Transit until April 1999

Is there much difference in contracts between the different transit companies?

Skippy

I hate busses so I don't care, I took the seabus to North vancouver once and then took a bus to Grouse Mountain, it was a horrible experience

Anonymous

Quote from: "Skippy"I hate busses so I don't care, I took the seabus to North vancouver once and then took a bus to Grouse Mountain, it was a horrible experience

Growing up in Toronto, I took the TTC. I have never been on a bus in Barrie.

Gaon

Quote from: "Superchecker"**Strike averted! Tentative agreement reached!**

So, did the union get what they asked for?

2% raise retroactive to April 1; another 1% raise immediately.

3% raise next April 1; 3% raise the following April 1.

Improved benefits, language around washroom breaks. Can bank and have access to more banked overtime days.

No concessions

Improved wages and benefits for mini bus bus drivers too

Congratulations. I don't ride buses or the skytrain, but I am glad the strike is over.
The Russian Rock It

Anonymous

Quote from: "Skippy"I hate busses so I don't care, I took the seabus to North vancouver once and then took a bus to Grouse Mountain, it was a horrible experience

All of Vancouver is a horrible experience.

Superchecker

Quote from: "Herman"

I respect your opinion, but disagree.

Metro Vancouver is far from perfect, has a variety of issues and challenges, but can be a very beautiful region with lots of opportunities.

Born here. Raised here. Continue to work and live here. It is home.
<t></t>

Anonymous

Metro Vancouver is far from perfect, has a variety of issues and challenges, but can be a very beautiful region with lots of opportunities.

That's perfectly understandable SC..

Calgary isn't perfect, but it's home for me.

Anonymous

It's hard for working people to make ends meet. Vancouver needs 80 per cent of it's immigrants to go back to where they came from.

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"

It's hard for working people to make ends meet. Vancouver needs 80 per cent of it's immigrants to go back to where they came from.

The opposite will happen. The middle class will be squeezed even further with higher green charges and more unnecessary immigrants.

Anonymous

It's getting harder to make ends meet anywhere in Canada..

There are three levels of government and they are constantly taking more money from families like mine.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"

There are three levels of government and they are constantly taking more money from families like mine.

It aint big companies gouging Canadians.

Anonymous

But, many support a steadily increasing carbon tax.

Anonymous

But, many support a steadily increasing carbon tax.

Big companies are in bed with the government. Consumer carbon theft is only one example.