News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10766
Total votes: : 5

Last post: October 11, 2024, 05:14:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

COVID-19 >> New Drug Activity & VACCINE TRACKING!!

Started by cc, January 26, 2020, 09:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 5 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Renee

Quote from: cc post_id=377805 time=1598496121 user_id=88
MAJOR!!!

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/26/moderna-coronavirus-vaccine-shows-strong-immune-response-in-older-adults-402344">Moderna coronavirus vaccine shows strong immune response in older adults (as well as for the young) !!!

The European Commission to buy 80 million doses of the vaccine.

Moderna's coronavirus vaccine candidate appears to be safe and produce a strong immune response in older adults, according to new data from an early trial presented by the company at a U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention meeting today.

The study of 20 adults over the age of 55 found that almost two months after receiving the second of two vaccine doses, participants had antibody levels higher than those of people who have recovered from Covid-19.

"We believe we picked the absolutely right dose" for both younger and older adults, said Tal Zaks, Moderna's chief medical officer, in an interview.

How well a coronavirus vaccine might work for older adults has been an open question, because the immune system's ability to respond to threats declines with age. A vaccine that protects younger adults and children might not work for older adults.

The data Moderna presented today was similar to data from a Phase I trial in younger people that was published in The New England Journal of Medicine in July.

The findings from Moderna's study have not been peer-reviewed or published in a scientific journal, but the company said it has submitted the results to a peer-reviewed publication.

On Monday, Moderna reached an agreement with the European Commission to buy 80 million doses. Zaks said he expects the company to present Phase 3 trial data for approval to regulators late this year or early next year.

Vice President Pence mentioned in his address to the GOP Convention last night that a vaccine could very well be approved very soon. He said by the end of the year. I'm not as optimistic considering the horseshit involved with our FDA. But nonetheless it looks like he wasn't just talking out of his ass and we are indeed on the verge of an effective vaccine.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Frood

Poisons until they're proven not to be in future years...

I fear for the human race at how cowboy we've gotten with fast tech...

This is going to bite us in the arse and it might involve us non compliant sorts, rare as we are, being hunted down and trapped like battery hens to fix this epidemic level knee jerk reaction because people ARE FUCKING STUPID...
Blahhhhhh...

Blazor

Quote from: cc post_id=377561 time=1598387237 user_id=88
https://www.theepochtimes.com/pandemic-spurring-mental-health-crisis-in-us-experts-say_3469596.html">Shutdowns Spur Mental Health Crisis in US, Experts Say

A basket of worries—spurred by anxieties related to job security, financial instability, grief from death, or loneliness—are plaguing an increasing number of Americans living amid the COVID-19 pandemic and its shutdown measures.

Among 5,412 Americans surveyed at the end of June, 41 percent reported at least one adverse mental or behavioral health condition, according to an Aug. 14 Morbidity and Mortality report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The number is higher among younger adults between the ages of 18 and 24, with 75 percent of respondents reporting experiencing at least one condition.

Dr. Carla Marie Manly, a clinical psychologist who specializes in stress and anxiety, has noticed "a huge surge in depression, suicidality, and anxiety during the pandemic," she told The Epoch Times. Manly has participated in a number of programs to help those affected, including virtual group sessions, free mental health videos, and individual therapy work.

Just over 10 percent of adults reported seriously considering suicide in the previous 30 days before June, the CDC said, approximately twice the number reported in 2018.

A growing number of tragedies, coupled with the uncertainty of the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) virus, is spurring a similar mindset to a restless period that occurred after 9/11, according to Carole Lieberman, a doctor, psychiatrist, and author.

She also warned about the negative effects of a fearmongering media.

I been saying this for the past few months. About the mental stress on folks, like suicide and depression and loneliness. And as someone who has been going through things lately, this shit needs to end, NOW.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Anonymous

Quote from: Blazor post_id=377877 time=1598545599 user_id=2221
Quote from: cc post_id=377561 time=1598387237 user_id=88
https://www.theepochtimes.com/pandemic-spurring-mental-health-crisis-in-us-experts-say_3469596.html">Shutdowns Spur Mental Health Crisis in US, Experts Say

A basket of worries—spurred by anxieties related to job security, financial instability, grief from death, or loneliness—are plaguing an increasing number of Americans living amid the COVID-19 pandemic and its shutdown measures.

Among 5,412 Americans surveyed at the end of June, 41 percent reported at least one adverse mental or behavioral health condition, according to an Aug. 14 Morbidity and Mortality report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The number is higher among younger adults between the ages of 18 and 24, with 75 percent of respondents reporting experiencing at least one condition.

Dr. Carla Marie Manly, a clinical psychologist who specializes in stress and anxiety, has noticed "a huge surge in depression, suicidality, and anxiety during the pandemic," she told The Epoch Times. Manly has participated in a number of programs to help those affected, including virtual group sessions, free mental health videos, and individual therapy work.

Just over 10 percent of adults reported seriously considering suicide in the previous 30 days before June, the CDC said, approximately twice the number reported in 2018.

A growing number of tragedies, coupled with the uncertainty of the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) virus, is spurring a similar mindset to a restless period that occurred after 9/11, according to Carole Lieberman, a doctor, psychiatrist, and author.

She also warned about the negative effects of a fearmongering media.

I been saying this for the past few months. About the mental stress on folks, like suicide and depression and loneliness. And as someone who has been going through things lately, this shit needs to end, NOW.

All one has to do is look around them for proof that lock downs cause more harm than good.

Anonymous

First I heard of this.

Canadians could join clinical trials for new COVID-19 vaccine, says researcher

A Hamilton infectious disease doctor says Canadians may soon be a part of a clinical trial for a new coronavirus vaccine being developed overseas.

Dr. Mark Loeb, a professor at McMaster University, says the new DNA-based vaccine could be a part of Phase 2 testing in Canada sometime in the late fall or early 2021.

"It's a DNA vaccine that's been produced by using computer modelling and artificial intelligence," said Loeb. "We think it would be an effective vaccine to protect people from COVID-19."

Loeb says the vaccine was developed by a team at a U.K. company called DIOSynVax founded by Canadian professor Jonathan Heeney, who studied at the University of Guelph.

The new vaccine candidate – DIOS-CoVax2 – was developed using genetic sequences of all known coronaviruses, including those from bats that host many relatives of human coronaviruses.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7303279/hamilton-cambridge-coronavirus-covid-19-vaccine-trials/">https://globalnews.ca/news/7303279/hami ... ne-trials/">https://globalnews.ca/news/7303279/hamilton-cambridge-coronavirus-covid-19-vaccine-trials/

cc

https://globalnews.ca/news/7307345/novavax-vaccine-canada-agreement/?utm_source=NewsletterNational&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=2020">Canada secures 2 more new deals for possible COVID-19 vaccines

Canada has inked two additional deals with companies working on a possible vaccine for COVID-19.

The two agreements include 76 million doses of Novavax Inc.'s vaccine candidate and 38 million doses of Johnson & Johnson's candidate.

They bring Canada's total number of procurement agreements with vaccine developers to four, as deals with Pfizer Canada and Moderna were announced earlier this month.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau acknowledged Monday that there is "a lot more work to go" on the development of any of these vaccines, but said the "broad range of vaccine developers" Canada has signed on with will be beneficial in the long run.

"It's possible there will be a breakthrough soon, but we don't know where or when that breakthrough will be," he said.

"Taken together, our vaccine agreements will give Canada at least 88 million doses with options to obtain tens of millions more."

[I'd say this all could and should have been done long ago, but our great leader was never known to be on, much less ahead of, the ball]
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

I suppose this is good news.....by Justin Trudeau's standards anyway.

cc

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=378448 time=1598910072 user_id=3254

Sad but true

Fash - I just post red one under "Pariah" you will like I bet ("US Firms Move Supply Chains Out of China .............")

It's really good news for Taiwan

Seoul:  If you have not explored it, check out "Premium" Link at bottom of front page (assuming it is a link in your edition) -

it is vast / monstrous with so many great topics if one explores them .. even allows you to go back weeks

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=378450 time=1598911306 user_id=88
Quote from: Fashionista post_id=378448 time=1598910072 user_id=3254

Sad but true

Fash - I just post red one under "Pariah" you will like I bet ("US Firms Move Supply Chains Out of China .............")

It's really good news for Taiwan

Seoul:  If you have not explored it, check out "Premium" Link at bottom of front page (assuming it is a link in your edition) -

it is vast / monstrous with so many great topics if one explores them .. even allows you to go back weeks

Thanks cc.

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=378438 time=1598901971 user_id=88
https://globalnews.ca/news/7307345/novavax-vaccine-canada-agreement/?utm_source=NewsletterNational&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=2020">Canada secures 2 more new deals for possible COVID-19 vaccines

Canada has inked two additional deals with companies working on a possible vaccine for COVID-19.

The two agreements include 76 million doses of Novavax Inc.'s vaccine candidate and 38 million doses of Johnson & Johnson's candidate.

They bring Canada's total number of procurement agreements with vaccine developers to four, as deals with Pfizer Canada and Moderna were announced earlier this month.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau acknowledged Monday that there is "a lot more work to go" on the development of any of these vaccines, but said the "broad range of vaccine developers" Canada has signed on with will be beneficial in the long run.

"It's possible there will be a breakthrough soon, but we don't know where or when that breakthrough will be," he said.

"Taken together, our vaccine agreements will give Canada at least 88 million doses with options to obtain tens of millions more."

[I'd say this all could and should have been done long ago, but our great leader was never known to be on, much less ahead of, the ball]

Are you getting the vaccine when it becomes available cc? I sure am.

cc

Yes. Absolutely.

I want to take back my life

I will keep trying for an antibody test first to confirm that my February pneumonia diagnosis was actually pneumonia

The timing leaves an unlikely but possible question mark .. but I was very healthy and strong when it hit me very hard and came out of nowhere

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=378518 time=1598992183 user_id=88
Yes. Absolutely.

I want to take back my life

I will keep trying for an antibody test first to confirm that my February pneumonia diagnosis was actually pneumonia

The timing leaves an unlikely but possible question mark .. but I was very healthy and strong when it hit me very hard and came out of nowhere

Where can we get tested for antibodies?

cc

I had heard that Canada had approved an antibody test  product some time ago

The possibility prompted me to fill out a very long and detailed survey some time ago because at the end one was allowed to check "followup with the possibility of antibody test .. so they know when I had "pneumonia"

Also my doc says "while not too likely, the timing is such that I'm putting you at the top of my list for when I get notified as to availability to me"

So, while silence for a while now, I expect it will become a possibility soon .. and hope to get one

I have low expectations, but at least I would know for certain ... it would be ironic if I did have it and have been in "self-protect mode" for so long  ac_smile

At the same time, I would likely have infected hospital staff (and that would not make me feel good) as it was just a few days before hospitals and everything went into panic "pandemic mode" .. but it was not being addressed yet

cc

Further - I looked it up - This is for BC, but likely similar anywhere in Canada

http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/testing/antibody-testing">http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/disease ... dy-testing">http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/testing/antibody-testing

Can I request an antibody test from my health care provider?

Not yet. Antibody testing is being used for limited clinical and research uses and select outbreak investigations. Health providers may use antibody testing in limited settings such as for patients in hospital with less common symptoms of COVID-19 but need to have their COVID-19 infection confirmed to help direct their medical care. Health care providers and public health will work together to determine when antibody tests should be used.

How Accurate is the test?

From our experience with the tests so far, positive results are correct approximately 95% of the time (95 out of 100 results are correct). Negative results are correct approximately 99% of the time (99 out of 100 results are correct). No laboratory test is perfect, but the BCCDC Public Health

Laboratory is testing samples using a combination of different tests to try to improve accuracy.

If I have antibodies can I get COVID-19 again?

‎We don't know yet. For some infections, having antibodies protects people from getting the infection again. For other infections, it doesn't.