News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10567
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 05:08:00 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Odinson

COVID-19 >> New Drug Activity & VACCINE TRACKING!!

Started by cc, January 26, 2020, 09:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 18 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Thiel

At Assiniboine Community College in Brandon, Manitoba, new and returning students who show proof of having received at least one dose of the COVID vaccine are eligible for a draw to have a year's tuition of up to $4000 covered.
gay, conservative and proud

Anonymous

Some useful information for those of us who received a single dose of AZ.

AstraZeneca second dose: Should I get it again or choose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine?

There is no clinical efficacy data for mixing and matching vaccines, such as clinical trials or real-world studies. So, some may prefer receiving two doses of AstraZeneca

People in Canada whose first dose of COVID-19 vaccine was AstraZeneca have a choice to make: They can either choose one of the mRNA vaccines (Pfizer or Moderna) or another dose of AstraZeneca for their second shot.

The saga of AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine has been complicated. Clinical trials and real-world data from the United Kingdom have demonstrated its superb efficacy against severe illness and hospitalizations due to COVID-19.

So the question of the moment is: What do I choose for my second dose if I've received a first dose of AstraZeneca?

Let's begin with the evidence we have so far around mixing and matching vaccines, specifically AstraZeneca and Pfizer/BioNtech (Pfizer). On May 12, initial data on reactogenicity (the ability to produce common side-effects) data from the COM-CoV study in the United Kingdom was released. It included 830 people ages 50 and older, who were randomized into four study arms that received different combinations of AstraZeneca and Pfizer vaccines at four-week dosing intervals.

Participants who received different vaccines for their first and second doses, regardless of sequence of vaccination, had more side-effects (non-serious ones that resolved on their own) than those who received the same vaccine twice. No safety concerns were noted.

Experts theorized that the greater number of side-effects might predict a more robust immune response, but immunogenicity (the ability of the vaccine to provoke an antibody response) data is still pending and expected later this month.

Results from the Spanish CombiVacS study were reported on May 18. The study randomized 663 people who received AstraZeneca as their first dose to either receive Pfizer as a second dose booster eight weeks later, or into a control group with no second dose at all.

Those who received AstraZeneca followed by Pfizer developed twice as many antibodies as historically seen in people who received two doses of AstraZeneca alone. No safety concerns were identified.

A recent study from Germany released June 1 as a non peer-reviewed preprint adds additional information around mixing and matching AstraZeneca and Pfizer vaccines. This preliminary data included 26 individuals, ages 25 to 46, who were administered AstraZeneca as their first dose of vaccine, followed by a second dose of Pfizer given eight weeks later.

Neutralizing activity was 3.9 times greater against the alpha (B.1.1.7) variant and similar against the delta (B.1.617.2) variant compared to neutralizing activity seen in people who received two doses of Pfizer vaccine. No safety concerns were noted.

Lastly, a small Canadian study from Dalhousie University took two volunteers aged 66 and administered a first dose of AstraZeneca vaccine followed by a second dose of Pfizer vaccine 33 days later in both. The antibody responses were reported as being strong, with no safety concerns.

VITT risk with a second dose of AstraZeneca

The risk of VITT with a second dose of AstraZeneca for those who have received a first dose of AstraZeneca is very low. The best data currently available is surveillance data from the United Kingdom. As of May 27, 17 cases of VITT had been reported after 10.7 million second doses of AstraZeneca vaccine, for a risk of about 1 in 600,000.

First doses of AstraZeneca vaccine were paused in Canada partly due to concerns with supply. However, a shipment of about 655,000 doses of AstraZeneca vaccine arrived in Canada in mid-May from COVAX, the global vaccine sharing initiative. It has been distributed now to provinces for use as second doses for persons who received a first dose of AstraZeneca.

The current and anticipated availability of both mRNA vaccines in Canada is excellent, with ongoing anticipated shipments throughout all of June and July. This means there will be no need to wait for one's preferred option in most cases.

There are many reasons why one might choose AstraZeneca over an mRNA vaccine for their second dose. There is no clinical efficacy data for mixing and matching vaccines, such as clinical trials or real-world studies. For this reason, some may prefer a "proven" approach of receiving two doses of AstraZeneca. Some people who did not experience any adverse effects with their first dose of AstraZeneca may opt for a second dose of the same to try to avoid side-effects.

The COM-CoV study from the United Kingdom will report data on immunogenicity (antibody response) later this month. It may or may not be supportive of a mixing and matching approach. Some may prefer to wait for this data before deciding. Others may just be happy to take whatever vaccine is available and offered to them first.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/astrazeneca-second-dose-should-i-get-it-again-or-choose-pfizer-or-moderna-vaccine">https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/as ... na-vaccine">https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/astrazeneca-second-dose-should-i-get-it-again-or-choose-pfizer-or-moderna-vaccine

Anonymous

Canada is expected to announce a donation of up to 100 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine, which is its share of the one-billion dose pledge that is expected to emerge from all countries attending the G7 summit this weekend.

Anonymous

Russia reported its highest number of new COVID-19 infections in three months on Wednesday, confirming more than 10,000 new cases.

Only around 12 percent of Russia's population is vaccinated, largely due to widespread vaccine hesitancy. Moscow Mayor Sergey Sobyanin bemoaned the low rate of vaccinations in his city in May. "We continue getting sick, people keep dying, but they don't want to get vaccinated," Sobyanin said, noting that "the percentage of those vaccinated in Moscow is lower than in any European city."

Thiel

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=413218 time=1623434633 user_id=3254

AstraZeneca second dose: Should I get it again or choose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine?

There is no clinical efficacy data for mixing and matching vaccines, such as clinical trials or real-world studies. So, some may prefer receiving two doses of AstraZeneca

People in Canada whose first dose of COVID-19 vaccine was AstraZeneca have a choice to make: They can either choose one of the mRNA vaccines (Pfizer or Moderna) or another dose of AstraZeneca for their second shot.

The saga of AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine has been complicated. Clinical trials and real-world data from the United Kingdom have demonstrated its superb efficacy against severe illness and hospitalizations due to COVID-19.

So the question of the moment is: What do I choose for my second dose if I've received a first dose of AstraZeneca?

Let's begin with the evidence we have so far around mixing and matching vaccines, specifically AstraZeneca and Pfizer/BioNtech (Pfizer). On May 12, initial data on reactogenicity (the ability to produce common side-effects) data from the COM-CoV study in the United Kingdom was released. It included 830 people ages 50 and older, who were randomized into four study arms that received different combinations of AstraZeneca and Pfizer vaccines at four-week dosing intervals.

Participants who received different vaccines for their first and second doses, regardless of sequence of vaccination, had more side-effects (non-serious ones that resolved on their own) than those who received the same vaccine twice. No safety concerns were noted.

Experts theorized that the greater number of side-effects might predict a more robust immune response, but immunogenicity (the ability of the vaccine to provoke an antibody response) data is still pending and expected later this month.

Results from the Spanish CombiVacS study were reported on May 18. The study randomized 663 people who received AstraZeneca as their first dose to either receive Pfizer as a second dose booster eight weeks later, or into a control group with no second dose at all.

Those who received AstraZeneca followed by Pfizer developed twice as many antibodies as historically seen in people who received two doses of AstraZeneca alone. No safety concerns were identified.

A recent study from Germany released June 1 as a non peer-reviewed preprint adds additional information around mixing and matching AstraZeneca and Pfizer vaccines. This preliminary data included 26 individuals, ages 25 to 46, who were administered AstraZeneca as their first dose of vaccine, followed by a second dose of Pfizer given eight weeks later.

Neutralizing activity was 3.9 times greater against the alpha (B.1.1.7) variant and similar against the delta (B.1.617.2) variant compared to neutralizing activity seen in people who received two doses of Pfizer vaccine. No safety concerns were noted.

Lastly, a small Canadian study from Dalhousie University took two volunteers aged 66 and administered a first dose of AstraZeneca vaccine followed by a second dose of Pfizer vaccine 33 days later in both. The antibody responses were reported as being strong, with no safety concerns.

The risk of VITT with a second dose of AstraZeneca for those who have received a first dose of AstraZeneca is very low. The best data currently available is surveillance data from the United Kingdom. As of May 27, 17 cases of VITT had been reported after 10.7 million second doses of AstraZeneca vaccine, for a risk of about 1 in 600,000.

First doses of AstraZeneca vaccine were paused in Canada partly due to concerns with supply. However, a shipment of about 655,000 doses of AstraZeneca vaccine arrived in Canada in mid-May from COVAX, the global vaccine sharing initiative. It has been distributed now to provinces for use as second doses for persons who received a first dose of AstraZeneca.

The current and anticipated availability of both mRNA vaccines in Canada is excellent, with ongoing anticipated shipments throughout all of June and July. This means there will be no need to wait for one's preferred option in most cases.

There are many reasons why one might choose AstraZeneca over an mRNA vaccine for their second dose. There is no clinical efficacy data for mixing and matching vaccines, such as clinical trials or real-world studies. For this reason, some may prefer a "proven" approach of receiving two doses of AstraZeneca. Some people who did not experience any adverse effects with their first dose of AstraZeneca may opt for a second dose of the same to try to avoid side-effects.

The COM-CoV study from the United Kingdom will report data on immunogenicity (antibody response) later this month. It may or may not be supportive of a mixing and matching approach. Some may prefer to wait for this data before deciding. Others may just be happy to take whatever vaccine is available and offered to them first.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/astrazeneca-second-dose-should-i-get-it-again-or-choose-pfizer-or-moderna-vaccine">https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/as ... na-vaccine">https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/astrazeneca-second-dose-should-i-get-it-again-or-choose-pfizer-or-moderna-vaccine

I want an mRNA vaccine for my second dose.
gay, conservative and proud

Anonymous

Quote from: Thiel post_id=413276 time=1623473500 user_id=1688
Quote from: Fashionista post_id=413218 time=1623434633 user_id=3254

I want an mRNA vaccine for my second dose.

I'm undecided.

cc

I think a good choice Fash. The EU & UK scientists have done testing and say they together result in good protection
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la Mata Hari" post_id=413280 time=1623476319 user_id=88
I think a good choice Fash. The EU & UK scientists have done testing and say they together result in good protection

I was wrong, there are second doses of AZ available in Alberta..

But, we're no longer giving first doses of that vaccine..

I can probably get second dose in about two or three weeks..

I have to decide before I book an appointment if I want AZ or an mRNA.

cc

Right. It's similar here. If one had AZ for 1st, there is reserve .. but one can choose either for 2nd dose

Many here are choosing the mix even though they might have to wait a bit longer

So am I correct that you are saying that you are choosing mRNA for 2nd dose .. or not?

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la Mata Hari" post_id=413291 time=1623512492 user_id=88
Right. It's similar here. If one had AZ for 1st, there is reserve .. but one can choose either for 2nd dose

So am I correct that you are saying that you are choosing mRNA for 2nd dose .. or not?

I'm not sure which vaccine I want for a second dose....I will ask a doctor in our congregation today..

The longer I delay booking my second dose, the longer the wait will be before I can receive it as Albertans are busy booking second doses.

Anonymous

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=413297 time=1623513820 user_id=3254

I'm not sure which vaccine I want for a second dose....I will ask a doctor in our congregation today..

The longer I delay booking my second dose, the longer the wait will be before I can receive it as Albertans are busy booking second doses.

Mom booked her second appointment. She's getting an mRNA this time.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li" post_id=413303 time=1623522519 user_id=56
Quote from: Fashionista post_id=413297 time=1623513820 user_id=3254

Mom booked her second appointment. She's getting an mRNA this time.

Good for Priscilla..

:smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:

My husband and I are leaning in that direction..

I want to talk with a doctor we know first before making my final decision.

Anonymous

I've decided to get an mRNA for my second dose after consulting with a doctor friend.

cc

Appears it's a good choice and wise decision

When can you book?

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la Mata Hari" post_id=413400 time=1623637100 user_id=88
Appears it's a good choice and wise decision

When can you book?

I booked online.....June 25.