News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10395
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:27:42 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

Stating the Forgotten Obvious - Lock-down Greatly Increases Female & Child Abuse

Started by cc, March 22, 2020, 01:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

cc

Actually, I'm merely posting the obvious ..  this part of it has been lost in the overall drama.

As more and more cities and states go into shelter-in-place, stay-at-home, and lockdown orders, one unintended side effect is a rise in domestic abuse, where women and children are literally not allowed to leave their abuser.

Avoiding public spaces and working remotely can help to reduce the spread of COVID-19, but for many survivors, staying home may not be the safest option. We know that any external factors that add stress and financial strain can negatively impact survivors and create circumstances where their safety is further compromised.

(Being realistic, rather than "could" ..... I suggest "will impact" ... & "Is impacting" )

Abusive partners may withhold necessary items, such as hand sanitizer or disinfectants.

Abusive partners may share misinformation about the pandemic to control or frighten survivors, or to prevent them from seeking appropriate medical attention if they have symptoms.

Abusive partners may withhold insurance cards, threaten to cancel insurance, or prevent survivors from seeking medical attention if they need it.

Programs that serve survivors may be significantly impacted –- shelters may be full or may even stop intakes altogether. Survivors may also fear entering shelter because of being in close quarters with groups of people.

Survivors who are older or have chronic heart or lung conditions may be at increased risk in public places where they would typically get support, like shelters, counseling centers, or courthouses.

Travel restrictions may impact a survivor's escape or safety plan – it may not be safe for them to use public transportation or to fly.

An abusive partner may feel more justified and escalate their isolation tactics.
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"Actually, I'm merely posting the obvious ..  this part of it has been lost in the overall drama.

As more and more cities and states go into shelter-in-place, stay-at-home, and lockdown orders, one unintended side effect is a rise in domestic abuse, where women and children are literally not allowed to leave their abuser.

Avoiding public spaces and working remotely can help to reduce the spread of COVID-19, but for many survivors, staying home may not be the safest option. We know that any external factors that add stress and financial strain can negatively impact survivors and create circumstances where their safety is further compromised.

(Being realistic, rather than "could" ..... I suggest "will" ... & "Is" )

Abusive partners may withhold necessary items, such as hand sanitizer or disinfectants.

Abusive partners may share misinformation about the pandemic to control or frighten survivors, or to prevent them from seeking appropriate medical attention if they have symptoms.

Abusive partners may withhold insurance cards, threaten to cancel insurance, or prevent survivors from seeking medical attention if they need it.

Programs that serve survivors may be significantly impacted –- shelters may be full or may even stop intakes altogether. Survivors may also fear entering shelter because of being in close quarters with groups of people.

Survivors who are older or have chronic heart or lung conditions may be at increased risk in public places where they would typically get support, like shelters, counseling centers, or courthouses.

Travel restrictions may impact a survivor's escape or safety plan – it may not be safe for them to use public transportation or to fly.

An abusive partner may feel more justified and escalate their isolation tactics.

Staying home only makes abusers more abusive.

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"Actually, I'm merely posting the obvious ..  this part of it has been lost in the overall drama.

(Being realistic, rather than "could" ..... I suggest "will impact" ... & "Is impacting" )

Terrible.

cc

QuoteStaying home only makes abusers more abusive.

True, it does from 2 perspectives  ...  more agitated + GREATLY increased access time  .

Confined together 24/7  - - The perfect storm for greatly increased abuse

I was once married to an abuser so know how it works .... I feared long weekends, holiday time  ... the more time at home, the more abuse

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"
QuoteStaying home only makes abusers more abusive.

True, it does from 2 perspectives  ...  more agitated + GREATLY increased access time  .

Confined together 24/7  - - The perfect storm for greatly increased abuse

I was once married to an abuser so know how it works .... I feared long weekends, holiday time  ... the more time at home, the more abuse

Oh gosh, I hope this ends soon.

cc

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"This pandemic makes every problem worse.

So true.

Anonymous

That seems right, unfortunately.

@realAzhyaAryola

A cop in Texas has been tested positive for COVID-19 so now the police in Texas said they will no longer be responding to calls. Great. Crime will go up.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

caskur

This is what really worries me. The domestic abuse will EXPLODE.

Expect murder suicides as men kill their families then themselves.

What is the solution?

How can we prevent men going loco?
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Anonymous

Quote from: "@realAzhyaAryola"A cop in Texas has been tested positive for COVID-19 so now the police in Texas said they will no longer be responding to calls. Great. Crime will go up.

My brother still enforces the law.

Frood

Men get abused too...
Blahhhhhh...

caskur

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza"

Men get abused too...

This is actually true... Homosexual men get beaten up by their partners regularly. Domestic abuse in the homosexual community is volatile.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Frood

Not just with homos... there's a reason relationships work long term... because the guy and the girl either separate so he can go to work, or they both do... there are a lot of bullied and shell shocked blokes out there...

...if they don't neck themselves, they turn up to places like the Men's Sheds...
Blahhhhhh...

caskur

Well I looked it up recently about the ratio of murder/suicide cases...

80 perpetrators were men

3 were women so while it is true that men can be victims, the majority of victims are women, children and probably pets. (that never gets mentioned)

So we know there is a problem, where are the creative ideas to deal with it?
- Andy Warhol