A

There Already is A Cure For COVID-19 And It's Not Lock Downs

Started by Anonymous, May 17, 2020, 04:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caskur

Quote from: "kiebers"
Quote from: "caskur"
Quote from: "Gaon"
Lock downs were meant to prevent overwhelming hospitals. Since that did not happen there is no reason to continue flattening the economy and people's lives.

It happened on my continent... lets not forget that.

Are you saying that Australian hospitals were overwhelmed?

Lockdowns prevented this virus taking hold in our community.

Lockdowns WORK.

So far Australia has had 99 deaths only and most of those were off cruise ships.

Our hospitals are now fully equipped to handle an increase but we will not let that happen.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Anonymous

Wrong. Australia hasn't prevented anything. They have only delayed the inevitable. When the second and third waves come, you will face more hardship because you didn't build immunity like Sweden has.

Quoteepidemiologists believe that this virus won't begin to disappear until a far higher percentage of the population — at least 60 percent — develops immunity. If that doesn't happen with a vaccine, it has to happen through exposure.

For weeks, the most pressing policy challenge has been relieving the life-and-death pressure on our hospitals. But all that justifiable emphasis on flattening the curve may have created a dangerous illusion that we can get away with relatively small infection rates.

It's easy to forget that if a disease can't be contained — and it's too late for that in the COVID-19 pandemic — then there's only one possible ending to the story: We must collectively develop immunity to the disease. In lieu of a vaccine, that means most of us will need to be exposed to the virus, and some unknowably large number of us will die in the process.

Right now public policy needs to bake in the understanding that unless we plan on spending the year or more it'll take to widely distribute a vaccine sequestered in our homes without respite, we will need to immunize the state's population the hard way.

For instance, one of Lipsitch and Grad's findings is that the better we are at social distancing this spring, the worse the subsequent spikes become.

For instance, one of Lipsitch and Grad's findings is that the better we are at social distancing this spring, the worse the subsequent spikes become. In fact, a loose version of isolation that is less immediately effective might actually be preferable. Instead of trying to flatten the curve as much as possible now, Lipsitch and Grad's findings indicate that it would be preferable to have periods in which some of the population resumes normal social interactions followed by renewed suppression.

The study also found that more extensive distancing now could lead to sharper spikes in cases later.

Case in point, Grad said, is Singapore. Widely portrayed as a success story these past few months, the city-state has now issued a month-long lockdown. "They did a good job containing the disease initially," said Grad. "But what that did was ensure that most of the population was still susceptible, so now they're seeing a spike in infections." The lesson here is that without a vaccine, you can delay the pain, but you can't prevent it.

But once more widespread testing is in place and hospitals have the resources they need to treat COVID-19 patients, then we could switch gears and allow for more exposure than we are allowing now. "We can do this carefully and deliberately," Abuelezam said.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/04/10/opinion/its-possible-flatten-curve-too-long/">https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/04/10/ ... -too-long/">https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/04/10/opinion/its-possible-flatten-curve-too-long/

caskur

I forgot New Zealand...

Both New Zealand and Australia have recorded 4 deaths per every million people... Canada is what...ummm, 155 dead per million. Embarrassing.  

Lockdowns work.

It's why mainland China locked down at the beginning.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Anonymous

Quote from: "caskur"I forgot New Zealand...

Both New Zealand and Australia have recorded 4 deaths per every million people... Canada is what...ummm, 155 dead per million. Embarrassing.  

Lockdowns work.

It's why mainland China locked down at the beginning.

China never locked down the whole country. Lock downs are very good at turning hospitals into places that offer surgeries and treatments to people who have real illnesses into places where people go in a panic because they have a cough. But, other than death and poverty, lock downs have done nothing to bring about immunity and that is the only thing that will stop the coronavirus.

Canada's COVID outbreak has been confined mostly to senior's centres in Quebec and Ontario. The type of places you isoolate while building herd immunity. Governments here too think delaying herd immunity a few months is winning. :crazy:

caskur

The Wuhans were still smarter than Canada...

Canada has been dumbed down.
- Andy Warhol

kiebers

Lock downs were meant to prevent overwhelming hospitals. Since that did not happen there is no reason to continue flattening the economy and people's lives.

Lockdowns WORK.

So far Australia has had 99 deaths only and most of those were off cruise ships.

Our hospitals are now fully equipped to handle an increase but we will not let that happen.

You can't really compare figures to the US or Canada. Australia's population is too small to be able to compare anything to the US. There are almost as many people in metropolitan New York as there are in Australia. You have no where near the population density in any city in your country and that plays a very big part in things. Your population density is about 8.5 per sq mi and ours is 10 times that. On top of that, you are an island continent. So, no way to compare Australia to the US or Canada. You are dealt a winning hand from the start.
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

caskur

You're an engineer She Li... and not a virus expert.

They have not worked out this virus yet so you blubbering all over the forums about your flailing economy is crapolla!

But I guess you don't really have fellow feeling for the rest of mankind. You must have had a hard upbringing or something... But I will tell you what... it'll be a cold day in hell before we stop caring about EVERY life on our continent... it's not going to happen.
- Andy Warhol

caskur

Lockdowns WORK.

You can't really compare figures to the US or Canada. Australia's population is too small to be able to compare anything to the US. There are almost as many people in metropolitan New York as there are in Australia. You have no where near the population density in any city in your country and that plays a very big part in things. Your population density is about 8.5 per sq mi and ours is 10 times that. On top of that, you are an island continent. So, no way to compare Australia to the US or Canada. You are dealt a winning hand from the start.

Compare the USA pop to Canada...

USA has over 300 million and their death rate is 277 per Million

And Canada with population of 38 million wasn't it? You have 155 per million... your Canadian stats are much much worse than the USA.

Why?

Australia and New Zealand, both first world countries have 4 deaths per million... lockdowns work, simple as that.
- Andy Warhol

cc

Wait!! .. Hold The Phone!!  ... cases / million is a "ratio"

US - 4,668 cases for every Million people & 277 / m deaths

Canada has 2.069  cases for every Million people & 155 / m deaths

Your numbers are right - but interpretation is out 180 degrees

Canada has a case rate of somewhat  less than 1/2 per of any number of people one chooses .. same for death rate

I'm not bragging about it - I'd like to see a lot better (like 0 / Million people)

- BUT We  are doing better than twice as good a job of prevention as the US
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

When I had COVID-19, the attending tele-doctor compared lock downs to applying direct pressure on a deep cut. It temporarily slows the bleeding, but it doesn't fix the wound.

Lock downs are not immunity and are only meant to buy time. Nobody expects any country or jurisdiction to continue with lock downs much longer. Besides the damage to economies and health care systems, there is not much point. They only delay the inevitable second wave that we know is coming in the fall and winter. Even countries that appear to have low rates of infection now could see that change quickly as what happened with Singapore.

Epidemiologists are not sure themselves what to do. They know this pandemic cannot be contained indefinitely. Growing global contagion is inevitable. Sweden could become the model for the world and for future pandemics. We don't yet. After the second wave hits the Northern hemisphere in late fall, we will have a better idea.

deadskinmask

well.... looking at the ages of these ppl, it isn't even a mild threat till 50 and up.... old folks are cool and all but is it worth destroying your economy and crashing your way of life.... i mean really....

Anonymous

Quote from: "deadskinmask"well.... looking at the ages of these ppl, it isn't even a mild threat till 50 and up.... old folks are cool and all but is it worth destroying your economy and crashing your way of life.... i mean really....

I will be forty six near the end of this year. I had the coronavirus and recovered. My symptoms were worse than most, but it still only felt like influenza.

But, to answer your question, no, it probably isn't worth it. The lock down idea came from regions in China. Epidemiologists know it's a Band-Aid fix, but they're too scared to try even limited forms of immunity.

deadskinmask

if lockdowns and masks were actually achieving anything, don't you think the press conferences would be held on zoom from individual locations.... this is just a 'party trick' to see how many cov-idiots comply....

Anonymous

Quote from: "deadskinmask"if lockdowns and masks were actually achieving anything, don't you think the press conferences would be held on zoom from individual locations.... this is just a 'party trick' to see how many cov-idiots comply....

The epidemiologists who are advising our elected leaders really are flying by the seat of their pants.

caskur

Quote from: "cc"Wait!! .. Hold The Phone!!  ... cases / million is a "ratio"

US - 4,668 cases for every Million people & 277 / m deaths

Canada has 2.069  cases for every Million people & 155 / m deaths

Your numbers are right - but interpretation is out 180 degrees

Canada has a case rate of somewhat  less than 1/2 per of any number of people one chooses .. same for death rate

I'm not bragging about it - I'd like to see a lot better (like 0 / Million people)

- BUT We  are doing better than twice as good a job of prevention as the US

no...

you need to check Canada and the USA here.... USA is first... Canada is 14 th and frankly a disgrace imo. Check the rate of per million Pop. It's the 9th column along.

VVVV

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/">https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
- Andy Warhol