Replies: 10350
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:32:40 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

A

N-word cost him his job-and rightfully so

Started by Anonymous, July 11, 2020, 01:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 7 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

There is no excuse for racial slurs in the workplace. If somebody cannot abide by this very basic rule of respect in the workplace, than I guess they do not need a job.

Labour board upholds Toronto man's firing

Use the N-word and get a pink slip.

The labour board has upheld the firing of a foreman at a Toronto warehouse for using the N-word in an angry exchange with a junior co- worker, according to a Blacklock's Reporter story.

An Ontario arbitrator ruled the days of using such language on the job are over.

"Times have changed," wrote arbitrator Gordon Luborsky. "Given the evolution of thinking on the matter, racially demeaning language and racial slurs can never be excused as mere shop talk."

White foreman Gerald Brown, 52, who had 23 years of service at a Levi Strauss & Co. warehouse, was fired in 2017 after allegedly using the N- word regarding a Black co-worker.

Luborsky dismissed the union's appeal.

"A salty figure of everyday speech while conversing with peers is to be distinguished from the targeted use of profanity in the nature of name-calling directed at an individual," he wrote. "If such words are capable of being overheard in the workplace, at a minimum they contribute to a poisoned work environment which if not appropriately redressed leads to the impression that minority racial groups are somehow less entitled to equality."

The ruling follows significant fines levied by human rights tribunals over racial slurs in the workplace.

In 2019, the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal ordered a Brampton trucking company to pay $7,000 after a manager called an Indigenous driver a "dirty Indian."

After a Black prison guard in Quebec was called swarthy, the Quebec Human Rights Commission in 2018 awarded $12,500 in damages.

Anonymous

Quote from: seoulbro post_id=370857 time=1594487242 user_id=114
There is no excuse for racial slurs in the workplace. If somebody cannot abide by this very basic rule of respect in the workplace, than I guess they do not need a job.

Labour board upholds Toronto man's firing

Use the N-word and get a pink slip.

The labour board has upheld the firing of a foreman at a Toronto warehouse for using the N-word in an angry exchange with a junior co- worker, according to a Blacklock's Reporter story.

An Ontario arbitrator ruled the days of using such language on the job are over.

"Times have changed," wrote arbitrator Gordon Luborsky. "Given the evolution of thinking on the matter, racially demeaning language and racial slurs can never be excused as mere shop talk."

White foreman Gerald Brown, 52, who had 23 years of service at a Levi Strauss & Co. warehouse, was fired in 2017 after allegedly using the N- word regarding a Black co-worker.

Luborsky dismissed the union's appeal.

"A salty figure of everyday speech while conversing with peers is to be distinguished from the targeted use of profanity in the nature of name-calling directed at an individual," he wrote. "If such words are capable of being overheard in the workplace, at a minimum they contribute to a poisoned work environment which if not appropriately redressed leads to the impression that minority racial groups are somehow less entitled to equality."

The ruling follows significant fines levied by human rights tribunals over racial slurs in the workplace.

In 2019, the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal ordered a Brampton trucking company to pay $7,000 after a manager called an Indigenous driver a "dirty Indian."

After a Black prison guard in Quebec was called swarthy, the Quebec Human Rights Commission in 2018 awarded $12,500 in damages.

I don't like to see anyone lose their job, but that kind of toxic language on the job can't be tolerated.

Odinson

Come on..

Depending how good Gerald Brown was at his job..

Was it really worth it?

N-word vs. possible warehouse chaos after losing an experienced foreman.

A little talk with the boss and apology.. That would be sufficient.

Anonymous

Quote from: Odinson post_id=370877 time=1594491779 user_id=136
Come on..

Was it really worth it?

That is probably what the company tried first. However, I'm sure things got so escalated it either did or almost came to a fight. At our company, we have zero tolerance for fighting.

QuoteAfter a Black prison guard in Quebec was called swarthy, the Quebec Human Rights Commission in 2018 awarded $12,500 in damages.

This is fucked.

Anonymous

Odinson

Quote from: "Shen Li" post_id=370890 time=1594495400 user_id=56
Come on..

Was it really worth it?

That is probably what the company tried first. However, I'm sure things got so escalated it either did or almost came to a fight. At our company, we have zero tolerance for fighting.

QuoteAfter a Black prison guard in Quebec was called swarthy, the Quebec Human Rights Commission in 2018 awarded $12,500 in damages.

This is fucked.

Fighting... As in physical fighting?

Anonymous

Quote from: Odinson post_id=370919 time=1594506311 user_id=136
Quote from: "Shen Li" post_id=370890 time=1594495400 user_id=56
Come on..

Was it really worth it?

This is fucked.

Fighting... As in physical fighting?

Yes.

Anonymous

The lesson we learn here is that best policy is to just hire only Whites.  Homogenous workforce is best and most productive workforce.

Anonymous

Only two weeks on the job and the Negro was already causing problems:

Stephen Merraro, the black employee involved, had only been on the job for two weeks.

Eyewitnesses say he pulled the emergency cord on a conveyer belt because he was upset someone had taken his bag of potato chips.

"Where are my chips?" a coworker quoted Merraro. "Nobody is going to work until I find my chips."

Odinson

Quote from: Mel post_id=370925 time=1594510189
Only two weeks on the job and the Negro was already causing problems:

Stephen Merraro, the black employee involved, had only been on the job for two weeks.

Eyewitnesses say he pulled the emergency cord on a conveyer belt because he was upset someone had taken his bag of potato chips.

"Where are my chips?" a coworker quoted Merraro. "Nobody is going to work until I find my chips."

It happened on one of dem zip-a-dee-doo-dah days..

Anonymous

Fighting at work equals automatic dismissal in Canada Odi. The n-word is considered a fight provoking word.

cc

How about "whitey" ?

or Chink ?

Or the 100s of years old indigenous favorite,  "paleface"
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=370930 time=1594512566 user_id=88
How about "whitey" ?

or Chink ?

If it leads to a fist fight, Zai Jian.

Odinson

Quote from: "Shen Li" post_id=370929 time=1594512174 user_id=56
Fighting at work equals automatic dismissal in Canada Odi. The n-word is considered a fight provoking word.

Hmm.. Are dirty jokes forbidden?

What if I told a woman that she has sweet pants..

Would I get fired immediately?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li" post_id=370929 time=1594512174 user_id=56

Not necessarily.  Depends on the employer, industry, etc.  In my line of work, I have witnessed shit that would make the corporate world have a heart attack.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Is the "D" in Django silent? Yes or No? (must be lower case):
spell bacon backwards with the first letter capitalized:
Is Alticus a dick sucking fairy? (answer is opposite of no):
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview