News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

How I get my kid to not complain about dinner...

Started by Frood, December 02, 2020, 01:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Frood

Every fortnight, I do grocery shopping online to be delivered and I order a bunch of salmon fillets.

When everything arrives, I use the salmon on the first night (obviously, seafood from a supermarket chain needs to be used quickly).

She dislikes salmon and it takes her over an hour to consume even a small portion, but she gets extra vegetables and other things, although she has to finish everything or no dessert.

Then I take the remaining cooked filet, divide it in two, and refrigerate one half and freeze the other.

No matter what we decide to have, she has an alternate choice of salmon for the following two weeks.  :smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:

She always finishes her dinner, and if we serve her something different for a change, we can offer to exchange it for salmon if she resists trying new foods.

Never fails...
Blahhhhhh...

Berry Sweet

If my kid doesn't like a certain food, then she doesnt have to eat it.  Same goes for me.  I make meals we both like and buy what we like to snack on.  Mostly is fruit and love nuts right now..you will find nuts everywhere.

Dont force your kid to eat fish if she doesnt like it...not everyone likes fish, some peopke it makes them gag.

Frood

Quote from: "Berry Sweet" post_id=392675 time=1606893077 user_id=164
If my kid doesn't like a certain food, then she doesnt have to eat it.  Same goes for me.  I make meals we both like and buy what we like to snack on.  Mostly is fruit and love nuts right now..you will find nuts everywhere.

Dont force your kid to eat fish if she doesnt like it...not everyone likes fish, some peopke it makes them gag.

My kid eats virtually anything... she takes dill pickles to school in her lunchbox, eats raw shellfish, eats blue cheese, and there isn't a steak she didn't meet and devour. She likes Brussels Sprouts, tolerates the heat in a Thai or Indian curry if it's mild.

She also doesn't mind deep fried fish or gummy shark filets.

She hated salami for years, but now packs her own salami and cheese sandwiches with mayo and pickles some mornings of the school week. She is 8 years old. Her job in the morning is to make her own lunch and put it in her school bag.

This didn't occur overnight but from constantly feeding her whatever we were eating from the moment she could eat solids, not forcing her to eat it, but reinforcing that we are not making her a special menu, or rewarding her with sweet treats if she doesn't eat her meals.

She has finally taken to eating raw onion and uncooked mushrooms in the last few months. If I'm cutting stuff up in the kitchen, she's trying to grab pieces off the chopping board.

She won't be a guest to a dinner party that puts her dietary requirements or preferences above being polite whether it's mustard stuffed snails with mango juice or jalapeno turd poppers on a bed of baked fire ants.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=392676 time=1606897965 user_id=1676
Quote from: "Berry Sweet" post_id=392675 time=1606893077 user_id=164

My kid eats virtually anything... she takes dill pickles to school in her lunchbox, eats raw shellfish, eats blue cheese, and there isn't a steak she didn't meet and devour. She likes Brussels Sprouts, tolerates the heat in a Thai or Indian curry if it's mild.

She also doesn't mind deep fried fish or gummy shark filets.

She hated salami for years, but now packs her own salami and cheese sandwiches with mayo and pickles some mornings of the school week. She is 8 years old. Her job in the morning is to make her own lunch and put it in her school bag.

This didn't occur overnight but from constantly feeding her whatever we were eating from the moment she could eat solids, not forcing her to eat it, but reinforcing that we are not making her a special menu, or rewarding her with sweet treats if she doesn't eat her meals.

She has finally taken to eating raw onion and uncooked mushrooms in the last few months. If I'm cutting stuff up in the kitchen, she's trying to grab pieces off the chopping board.

She won't be a guest to a dinner party that puts her dietary requirements or preferences above being polite whether it's mustard stuffed snails with mango juice or jalapeno turd poppers on a bed of baked fire ants.

My son is fifteen and I still make his lunch.....I still make my husband's lunch.

Frood

We made her sandwiches and she'd bring them home half eaten at the end of the day, so we told her she must eat her sandwich. She didn't like what we made her.

So we put it on her to make a sandwich she WOULD eat.

Unless she's playing 3D chess, her sandwich box comes back with just a wisp of crusts and crumbs.

She made the sandwich. She's eating it.
Blahhhhhh...

Renee

I always took and still take the same approach my mom did...Don't like what's for dinner, you don't eat...But don't let me catch you rummaging around later looking for food...As my mom always said "This house is not a diner" You eat what is served or you go hungry... Consequently you learned to eat what was served even if you weren't crazy about it and even if it was just a small taste.

Lots of times kids don't want to eat because they "think" they will not like it...Just ignore the bullshit because most of the time it's just noise. Most times they will eventually come around....Unless it's LIVER AND ONIONS  :beurk:   ...I firmly believe that a parent, or in my case, a grandparent should be publicly executed for serving that hellacious shit to their kids.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=392709 time=1606921197 user_id=1676
We made her sandwiches and she'd bring them home half eaten at the end of the day, so we told her she must eat her sandwich. She didn't like what we made her.

So we put it on her to make a sandwich she WOULD eat.

Unless she's playing 3D chess, her sandwich box comes back with just a wisp of crusts and crumbs.

She made the sandwich. She's eating it.

My son wouldn't make a healthy lunch if he made it himself.....my husband too.

Frood

Quote from: Renee post_id=392712 time=1606921457 user_id=156
I always took and still take the same approach my mom did...Don't like what's for dinner, you don't eat...But don't let me catch you rummaging around later looking for food...As my mom always said "This house is not a diner" You eat what is served or you go hungry... Consequently you learned to eat what was served even if you weren't crazy about it and even if it was just a small taste.

Lots of times kids don't want to eat because they "think" they will not like it...Just ignore the bullshit because most of the time it's just noise. Most times they will eventually come around....Unless it's LIVER AND ONIONS  :beurk:   ...I firmly believe that a parent, or in my case, a grandparent should be publicly executed for serving that hellacious shit to their kids.

Yup...

I'm new age traditional.

Only difference is I use reverse psychology....
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

I don't have kids, but that's what it was like in my parents house. Kids eat what is served.

Anonymous

Quote from: seoulbro post_id=392715 time=1606922188 user_id=114

I don't have kids, but that's what it was like in my parents house. Kids eat what is served.

I try to keep in mind my children's food preferences, but I'm not running a restaurant either.

Blazor

My mom tried to make me eat liver, bleh. I tried sneaking it into the trash, into the toilet, even under the fridge hahaha (oh she got mad about that one). But I was forced to sit at the table til it was done. After 4 hours of sitting there, eventually I could get down from the table, but it would be bedtime then. Fuck liver lol.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Anonymous

Quote from: Blazor post_id=392782 time=1606944240 user_id=2221

My mom tried to make me eat liver, bleh. I tried sneaking it into the trash, into the toilet, even under the fridge hahaha (oh she got mad about that one). But I was forced to sit at the table til it was done. After 4 hours of sitting there, eventually I could get down from the table, but it would be bedtime then. Fuck liver lol.

Liver is something I've never bought.

Zetsu

:MG_216:
Permanently off his rocker

Anonymous

Quote from: Zetsu post_id=392797 time=1606950006 user_id=61

:MG_216:

You don't have your pet birds at the supper table do you Zetsu?