Replies: 10398
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 03:28:20 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Another China Factoid....

Started by Obvious Li, December 30, 2013, 01:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Romero

North America has enacted regulations to keep our environment healthy and it hasn't hurt the economy. It's actually helped the economy. If we can do it, China and India can do it!

The environment is going to take a back seat for a while but they should still be doing as much as they can. Comparing China and India to North America is pretty much irrelevant. Their economies can't do well with food shortages, contaminated water and cities shut down because of smog. They have to do at least something about it; not much argument there.

Affluence and what happened a hundred years ago aren't reasons to not bitch about things that are obviously bad. We and the rest of the world rightfully complain about our own environmental problems right here in North America.

QuoteScientists Find 7,300-Mile Mercury Contamination 'Bullseye' Around Canadian Tar Sands

Canadian government scientists have found that levels of mercury — a potent neurotoxin which has been found to cause severe birth defects and brain damage — around the region's vast tar sand operations are up to 16 times higher than regular levels for the region. The findings, presented by Environment Canada researcher Jane Kirk at an international toxicology conference, showed that the 7,500 miles contaminated are "currently impacted by airborne Hg (mercury) emissions originating from oilsands developments."

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2013/12/30/3107761/tar-sands-mercury/#">//http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2013/12/30/3107761/tar-sands-mercury/#

And ironically from another article I stumbled upon:

QuoteThe source of the mercury could also be emissions from coal plants from as far away as China and India, said Herbert. JOSM scientists are confident they will be able to identify the precise source of the mercury at the end of their three year study, he added.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/story.html?id=9039865">//http://www.edmontonjournal.com/story.html?id=9039865

Anonymous

Interesting articles, but you cherry-picked so much it means nothing.

From the Edmonton Journal;
QuoteThe federal scientists stress the mercury loadings around the oilsands are low compared to the contamination seen in many parts of North America including southern Ontario and southern Quebec.

At least your article admits they are only guessing the sources. However, China will make the economy priority one until they become affluent just like North America did. Economic reforms in China have made prosperous consumers out of hundreds of millions of peasants. We can't ask them to do what we didn't and put a foot on the brake until they become a high income nation. Even if the West does that, it will fly like an iron balloon among China's nationalistic population who aren't too receptive to what they perceive as Western meddling. Just sayin, Westerners who stick their noses into China's internal affairs do it at their own peril.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Hornung"Another anti China thread for those fruitcake nutcases Shen Li, Fashionista and Obvious Li to prove what racist, sinophobic, anti semitic, twirlybrained, lying spammers they are.

Hornung, we do not hate China, that is ridiculous..

Shen Li is a Chinese nationalist and I am fairly sure Mr. Obvious Li has been there for business reasons..

Pointing out problems China has is not sinophobia as you seem to think..

I criticize some things about Taiwan too, but I am still a Taiwanese independence supporter.

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Hornung"Another anti China thread for those fruitcake nutcases Shen Li, Fashionista and Obvious Li to prove what racist, sinophobic, anti semitic, twirlybrained, lying spammers they are.

i love reading your posts.....all one of them.....hahahahaha...you are number 1 poster

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"

i love reading your posts.....all one of them.....hahahahaha...you are number 1 poster

There doesn't seem to be much variation on what he posts, same people he doesn't like and same robotic rant.

keeper

Hey guys, Is this the one we were talking about with the mental issues? Should i whisper as to not upset the little guy? I mean, dont want him drooling all over the place right? Fashy just cleaned up i see after her racist,sinophobic, anti semitic, twirlybraind lying.... Gezzus where do you find the time to clean?  :lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Keeper"

Hey guys, Is this the one we were talking about with the mental issues? Should i whisper as to not upset the little guy? I mean, dont want him drooling all over the place right? Fashy just cleaned up i see after her racist,sinophobic, anti semitic, twirlybraind lying.... Gezzus where do you find the time to clean?  :lol:

This would be the one we were talking about Keeps. I'm surprised you never read his lunacy before. He is 100% certifiable.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Keeper"

Hello Keeper, Hornung is well Hornung.