Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

What's in your bug out bag?

Started by Frood, May 06, 2021, 09:32:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blazor

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=410290 time=1620447066 user_id=3254
Quote from: Blazor post_id=410281 time=1620420378 user_id=2221
I've been wanting to make some bug out bags. One for the vehicle, one for home. Thing I've realized, is I need more than 1 thing of some things to make it work. Also my bags vary, and I like using them depending on the occasion, like short use, day use, weekend use, week use.

I feel limited with whats in my Jeep, but simply...

Tools

Blanket

Knife

Lighter

Napkins

Salt, pepper, hot sauce, honey, water flavor packs

Can opener/bottle opener

Tylenol

Jack (no not Daniels lol)

Always a bottle of water wherever I go.

Now, if I were backpacking, that is super close to what would be in my actual "bug out bag". That can vary from light to heavy, depending on how long you will be gone.

If I am away from home, I feel I would need a light pack, so that I can get home with. You would want to make more distance quickly, thus the light pack. This is assuming an EMT hits or something and you cant use your vehicle.

Dont forget, everything has weight. A lot of items you get need to have weight in mind.

This is why dehydrated meals are popular. You add water to it later. Canned goods are heavy. Stuff like granola bars and beef jerky are light.

From home, I could grab the heavy pack, and whatever else into the Jeep. But assuming the Jeep is useless, I would use my ALICE pack, and add to it if need be, to carry the most. Even if I could use the Jeep, essentials would go in ALICE, and I would load my other 2 packs. I know areas I can go in the event of an actual bug out. Plenty of primitive mountain areas to go to, even right out the back door. Cave on top this mountain. Can see the whole neighborhood there too.

Anyway, I deem these essential things for backpacking/survival....

A good comfy pack for starters, with plenty of exterior pockets and ways of attaching things.

Lightweight food that lasts (dehydrated meals, granola bars, jerky) also snack food, like chips, sammich stuff with packs of tuna or something too if backpacking

2 bottles of water, one for clean water, one for mixing flavor packs in

Hikers water purifier (you pump it, it filters it)

Light collapsible water jug for base camp

Small first aid kit (or bigger if need be)

Pistol, on the hip

Military cup, for boiling water for food and tea

Small light foldable rack, for putting the cup over the fire

Small light shovel

Knife

Matches and light kindling, like newspaper or fire sticks, cotton

Map of the area

Compass

Toilet paper, rerolled with out the cone, and placed in ziplock bag

LED flashlight, and LED small lantern

Light compact 30F sleeping bag, unless 0F required

Light 2 man tent, if just me

Light military pad, for comfort

A jacket, which can be doubled as a pillow lol

Whistle

Light fork/spoon

Military compact can opener

Lighter

My personals (glasses, contact solution, deoderant, clothes. Soap and wash cloth if need be)

Something small for entertainment (harmonica, paperback book, I also have a compact crank radio, that also has weather band, and a flash light, crank power)

Light compact seat

Tea

Moonshine/whiskey

That might be it. Sounds like a lot, but it totals 25lbs.

Of course if this was BUG OUT time away from home, that list would increase. I can think of several, and a few things I lack.I got a hatchet, but I also want a foldable saw.

That's a lot more than a car break down kit..

I don't know anybody besides you that has a bug out bag.

The short list, at the top, is what I usually keep in my Jeep lol. But like I was saying, I need a small pack, a bug out bag for the vehicle to get me home. Wouldnt need to be much, just to get home with if on foot. But I would need to take it in and out the Jeep/house, because of temperature fluctuations.

The larger list, is what I take with me backpacking, so at minimum, those would be essential things in a bug out survival scenario.

I can skip some things for the quick journey, or add things for the long journey.

I've been preparing for over 15 years lol. I REALLY thought 2012 was gonna happen  :laugh:  

Now I want to prepare, because of all the civil unrest. I feel something coming, much like I thought with 2012, if not greater.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Blazor

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=410292 time=1620447872 user_id=1676
My vehicle is a bug out bag but with wheels...

:thumbup:

I miss your updates that you had in your vehicle thread. I think you were doing great.

Blazor

Quote from: Herman post_id=410296 time=1620449495 user_id=1689
I own lots of land. I aint got a need to bug out anywhere.

I wish I did too my friend. I would not bug out away from home if I did, or only if need be. It was a dream of my for a LONG time, one that feels I will never accomplish.

You should have a small get home bag though, if you were away though.

Gaon

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=410337 time=1620478360 user_id=1676
Quote from: Gaon post_id=410333 time=1620477619 user_id=3170

What is a bug out?

Different versions of them but all you need to be OK if you're away from home and need to get back or you need to flee your home and probably never go back.

If I understand you correctly, it is emergency supplies.
The Russian Rock It

Blazor

Quote from: Zetsu post_id=410320 time=1620461601 user_id=61
I've been wanting to make some bug out bags. One for the vehicle, one for home. Thing I've realized, is I need more than 1 thing of some things to make it work. Also my bags vary, and I like using them depending on the occasion, like short use, day use, weekend use, week use.

Tools

Blanket

Knife

Lighter

Napkins

Can opener/bottle opener

Tylenol

Now, if I were backpacking, that is super close to what would be in my actual "bug out bag". That can vary from light to heavy, depending on how long you will be gone.

If I am away from home, I feel I would need a light pack, so that I can get home with. You would want to make more distance quickly, thus the light pack. This is assuming an EMT hits or something and you cant use your vehicle.

Dont forget, everything has weight. A lot of items you get need to have weight in mind.

This is why dehydrated meals are popular. You add water to it later. Canned goods are heavy. Stuff like granola bars and beef jerky are light.

From home, I could grab the heavy pack, and whatever else into the Jeep. But assuming the Jeep is useless, I would use my ALICE pack, and add to it if need be, to carry the most. Even if I could use the Jeep, essentials would go in ALICE, and I would load my other 2 packs. I know areas I can go in the event of an actual bug out. Plenty of primitive mountain areas to go to, even right out the back door. Cave on top this mountain. Can see the whole neighborhood there too.

A good comfy pack for starters, with plenty of exterior pockets and ways of attaching things.

Lightweight food that lasts (dehydrated meals, granola bars, jerky) also snack food, like chips, sammich stuff with packs of tuna or something too if backpacking

Pistol, on the hip

Small light shovel

Knife

Map of the area

Compass

Whistle

Light fork/spoon

Lighter

My personals (glasses, contact solution, deoderant, clothes. Soap and wash cloth if need be)

Something small for entertainment (harmonica, paperback book, I also have a compact crank radio, that also has weather band, and a flash light, crank power)

Light compact seat

Tea

Moonshine/whiskey

Of course if this was BUG OUT time away from home, that list would increase. I can think of several, and a few things I lack.I got a hatchet, but I also want a foldable saw.

And I thought I was the most prepared, lol, as expected from you brother.  ac_drinks

Lol, I was impressed with your list too! And the fact that most is actually in your vehicle.

One thing in your list, I didnt even think about..... fishing line and hooks. I need to add that to my list. Although my survival knife has a lil built into the hilt lol.

Frood

Quote from: Gaon post_id=410342 time=1620479489 user_id=3170
Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=410337 time=1620478360 user_id=1676
Quote from: Gaon post_id=410333 time=1620477619 user_id=3170

What is a bug out?

Different versions of them but all you need to be OK if you're away from home and need to get back or you need to flee your home and probably never go back.

If I understand you correctly, it is emergency supplies.

It's anything you need to get home safely if you're away from home and possibly have to ditch your vehicle for whatever reason. Or get away from your home quickly.

That's the basic bag.

It goes from there...
Blahhhhhh...

Blazor

Quote from: "iron horse jockey" post_id=410322 time=1620461879 user_id=2015
Quote from: Zetsu post_id=410320 time=1620461601 user_id=61

Tools

Blanket

Knife

Lighter

Napkins

Can opener/bottle opener

Tylenol

Pistol, on the hip

Small light shovel

Knife

Map of the area

Compass

Whistle

Light fork/spoon

Lighter

Light compact seat

Tea

Moonshine/whiskey

And I thought I was the most prepared, lol, as expected from you brother.  ac_drinks

Blazor is preparing for the worst.

"Hope for the best, prepare for the worst!" and "Cause ya never know!" are a couple mottos I live by lol.

Blazor

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=410331 time=1620473843 user_id=1676
Water, fuel, and food seem to be missing though... even small amounts. Water freezes though in your climates and is plentiful with treatment, so there is that. More important for us down this way to overdo it with water and fuel....but the inverse applies with long term food storage in vehicles with temperatures regularly hitting 40C plus. Shelf stable pantry stuff doesn't last long in a heated box.

I always understood your need for fuel and water there, in a bug out situation.

Water is plentiful here. All I need is my filter and a container. But I do have a couple large containers, one I can fill for the go, and a collapsible one.

Same here on temperature, I cant leave food or water in the vehicle.

Fuel, I didnt think I would need it. Most places I would go, I can get to with 1/8th tank.

If I run out of food, I can hunt. Could even do so silently with my crossbow if needed.

Frood

Quote from: Blazor post_id=410339 time=1620479308 user_id=2221

I miss your updates that you had in your vehicle thread. I think you were doing great.

It's nuts what's in the vehicle now. I could build a small city, keep it fed until the seeds grew, and evade detection... except in the heat of summer if the vehicle isn't kept under 30C. I've experimented a bit so far but am not totally happy with the results. Need more juice from the roof to power it. Also need a full roof rack that takes my kayak but still gets the solar.

I may have to settle for a Point 65 modular and keep it under the canopy in 2 pieces...
Blahhhhhh...

Frood

Quote from: Blazor post_id=410346 time=1620480169 user_id=2221
Water, fuel, and food seem to be missing though... even small amounts. Water freezes though in your climates and is plentiful with treatment, so there is that. More important for us down this way to overdo it with water and fuel....but the inverse applies with long term food storage in vehicles with temperatures regularly hitting 40C plus. Shelf stable pantry stuff doesn't last long in a heated box.

Water is plentiful here. All I need is my filter and a container. But I do have a couple large containers, one I can fill for the go, and a collapsible one.

Fuel, I didnt think I would need it. Most places I would go, I can get to with 1/8th tank.

If I run out of food, I can hunt. Could even do so silently with my crossbow if needed.

I try to keep the 140 litre diesel tank filled and carry another 20 litres in a jerry can...so good for 1700 k's or about 1000 miles.

Water, between 44-65 litres... but I've got 6 ways to purify and 1 way to desalinate... also have collapsible water bags too.
Blahhhhhh...

Blazor

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=410347 time=1620480544 user_id=1676

It's nuts what's in the vehicle now. I could build a small city, keep it fed until the seeds grew, and evade detection... except in the heat of summer if the vehicle isn't kept under 30C. I've experimented a bit so far but am not totally happy with the results. Need more juice from the roof to power it. Also need a full roof rack that takes my kayak but still gets the solar.

I may have to settle for a Point 65 modular and keep it under the canopy in 2 pieces...

SEEDS!!!! I forgot about seeds!

My crank radio/light, it can be plugged in and charged, but I wanna redirect that wire, so that Im charging my phone somehow. I dont need the phone, but would love to be able to listen to tunes in the wasteland like Eli did in The Book of Eli hahaha.

Blazor

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=410348 time=1620481051 user_id=1676
Quote from: Blazor post_id=410346 time=1620480169 user_id=2221

I try to keep the 140 litre diesel tank filled and carry another 20 litres in a jerry can...so good for 1700 k's or about 1000 miles.

Water, between 44-65 litres... but I've got 6 ways to purify and 1 way to desalinate... also have collapsible water bags too.

Frood

Quote from: Blazor post_id=410349 time=1620481248 user_id=2221

My crank radio/light, it can be plugged in and charged, but I wanna redirect that wire, so that Im charging my phone somehow. I dont need the phone, but would love to be able to listen to tunes in the wasteland like Eli did in The Book of Eli hahaha.

Split USB charger cig lighters are cheap and easy to find online. Last three pack I bought was like 20 bucks AUD delivered so you should be able to find that at half the cost in the US. Way to keep both devices charging simultaneously.

To get a signal to your crank radio... if it has 3.5 audio inlet, connect the two...if it doesn't, the cheap FM audio transmitters sold at dollar shops will do the trick. They usually have transmit settings around 107.7 and 88.0 and are cig socket plugable...often having their own rechargeable batteries internally. The cheapest ones are 5-10 bucks.

There's tiny Bluetooth receivers sold on Ebay with a 3.5 jack too... they're good if your audio device has a 3.5 receptacle since the recharge on those BT receivers are very low draw and fast... 20 minutes or so, but last for hours.
Blahhhhhh...

Blazor

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=410351 time=1620484064 user_id=1676
Quote from: Blazor post_id=410349 time=1620481248 user_id=2221

Split USB charger cig lighters are cheap and easy to find online. Last three pack I bought was like 20 bucks AUD delivered so you should be able to find that at half the cost in the US. Way to keep both devices charging simultaneously.

To get a signal to your crank radio... if it has 3.5 audio inlet, connect the two...if it doesn't, the cheap FM audio transmitters sold at dollar shops will do the trick. They usually have transmit settings around 107.7 and 88.0 and are cig socket plugable...often having their own rechargeable batteries internally. The cheapest ones are 5-10 bucks.

There's tiny Bluetooth receivers sold on Ebay with a 3.5 jack too... they're good if your audio device has a 3.5 receptacle since the recharge on those BT receivers are very low draw and fast... 20 minutes or so, but last for hours.

Ok I looked at my crank radio, it does have a 3.5 audio port, and a usb style charging port, but charge goes to the radio.

What are you saying to connect with the 3.5, to the other port? Then it would revert the power to charge the phone connected to it? This dont sound right lol.

Yeah I got a cigarette plug, but need to update it, since I got a newer phone. I was thinking I could convert the crank one for when Im in the woods.

Anonymous

What is the sky never falls in your lifetime..

That seems like a waste of money.