The best topic

Replies: 10393
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:41:25 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

Immigration...........

Started by Obvious Li, April 01, 2014, 02:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Obvious Li

reading a couple of Gary Jokes post made me think of something.......it seems a common refrain for canadian born canadians to complain about immigrants and the "shitholes" they come from...why immigrants aren't more grateful to just "be here" let alone be more deferential to "real canadians".....so it got me thinking about my own experiences over seas....i probably felt like that at one time as well and truly there are shitholes located around the globe.....but the vast majority of places i have traveled to and/or lived in are full of nice, wonderful people with the same aspirations as everyone else.......who knows why some one wants to emigrate....could be financial, cultural, educational or a million other reasons...probably the same reason people have moved around for generations......in my case, i expected to find a backwater of the worlds unwashed who lived like untamed savages and could use my western gained knowledge to set them right......what i found was a group of people so far ahead of us culturally, technologically, socially and many many other ways that i became somewhat in awe of them.....it came to the point where friends would pressure me to take them with me back to Canada for a vacation and i would make excuses why not too....it was not because i didn't like them, it was because i was embarrassed that their perception of North America was so far beyond the reality i couldn't do it.....they had seen it's riches on TV for decades and how could i show them how simply ordinary it is......in their country most of the main buildings are less than 30 years old.....big wide new roadways are everywhere....untra modern subways that are hard to describe...and on and on it goes.....in canada a lot of the buildings are old and decrepit........infrastructure if failing or non-existent and people are rude...... i know i am referring mainly to the Asian tigers and really there are no nice places in Africa and few in South America but in general the people from Asia that come here to educate their kids and make a life are relatively well off, highly educated, confident and don't need or desire to take shit from some redneck miscreant grade 10 dropout who thinks they are superior....i too think they should learn english and try and fit in with local culture...but as one who has struggled to learn local languages i can tell you it is not easy for someone over 40 to become fluent...it requires many years of hard work......i love the fact that canada has so many different faces.....foods....cultures and accents.......sure some immigrants cause problems.... have a different and sometimes abrasive attitude ....big deal....get over it....

the one caveat i have is regarding all the muslim immigrants that arrive each year....i know lots of them, have worked with lots of muslims.....have never had a problem with any one.....but there is a little voice in my head that says....at some point we will pay a price for this...i hope that is not true

i have to go do something so more later......thoughts anyone ???

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"reading a couple of Gary Jokes post made me think of something.......it seems a common refrain for canadian born canadians to complain about immigrants and the "shitholes" they come from...why immigrants aren't more grateful to just "be here" let alone be more deferential to "real canadians".....so it got me thinking about my own experiences over seas....i probably felt like that at one time as well and truly there are shitholes located around the globe.....but the vast majority of places i have traveled to and/or lived in are full of nice, wonderful people with the same aspirations as everyone else.......who knows why some one wants to emigrate....could be financial, cultural, educational or a million other reasons...probably the same reason people have moved around for generations......in my case, i expected to find a backwater of the worlds unwashed who lived like untamed savages and could use my western gained knowledge to set them right......what i found was a group of people so far ahead of us culturally, technologically, socially and many many other ways that i became somewhat in awe of them.....it came to the point where friends would pressure me to take them with me back to Canada for a vacation and i would make excuses why not too....it was not because i didn't like them, it was because i was embarrassed that their perception of North America was so far beyond the reality i couldn't do it.....they had seen it's riches on TV for decades and how could i show them how simply ordinary it is......in their country most of the main buildings are less than 30 years old.....big wide new roadways are everywhere....untra modern subways that are hard to describe...and on and on it goes.....in canada a lot of the buildings are old and decrepit........infrastructure if failing or non-existent and people are rude...... i know i am referring mainly to the Asian tigers and really there are no nice places in Africa and few in South America but in general the people from Asia that come here to educate their kids and make a life are relatively well off, highly educated, confident and don't need or desire to take shit from some redneck miscreant grade 10 dropout who thinks they are superior....i too think they should learn english and try and fit in with local culture...but as one who has struggled to learn local languages i can tell you it is not easy for someone over 40 to become fluent...it requires many years of hard work......i love the fact that canada has so many different faces.....foods....cultures and accents.......sure some immigrants cause problems.... have a different and sometimes abrasive attitude ....big deal....get over it....

the one caveat i have is regarding all the muslim immigrants that arrive each year....i know lots of them, have worked with lots of muslims.....have never had a problem with any one.....but there is a little voice in my head that says....at some point we will pay a price for this...i hope that is not true

I agree, preceptions are wrong on both sides of the pond. I have met so many East Asians in Asia that have a completely false impression of what life in Canada is all about Likewise, the Spartacus type idiots have no idea about why people emigrate.

Keep em coming.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"reading a couple of Gary Jokes post made me think of something.......it seems a common refrain for canadian born canadians to complain about immigrants and the "shitholes" they come from...why immigrants aren't more grateful to just "be here" let alone be more deferential to "real canadians".....so it got me thinking about my own experiences over seas....i probably felt like that at one time as well and truly there are shitholes located around the globe.....but the vast majority of places i have traveled to and/or lived in are full of nice, wonderful people with the same aspirations as everyone else.......who knows why some one wants to emigrate....could be financial, cultural, educational or a million other reasons...probably the same reason people have moved around for generations......in my case, i expected to find a backwater of the worlds unwashed who lived like untamed savages and could use my western gained knowledge to set them right......what i found was a group of people so far ahead of us culturally, technologically, socially and many many other ways that i became somewhat in awe of them.....it came to the point where friends would pressure me to take them with me back to Canada for a vacation and i would make excuses why not too....it was not because i didn't like them, it was because i was embarrassed that their perception of North America was so far beyond the reality i couldn't do it.....they had seen it's riches on TV for decades and how could i show them how simply ordinary it is......in their country most of the main buildings are less than 30 years old.....big wide new roadways are everywhere....untra modern subways that are hard to describe...and on and on it goes.....in canada a lot of the buildings are old and decrepit........infrastructure if failing or non-existent and people are rude...... i know i am referring mainly to the Asian tigers and really there are no nice places in Africa and few in South America but in general the people from Asia that come here to educate their kids and make a life are relatively well off, highly educated, confident and don't need or desire to take shit from some redneck miscreant grade 10 dropout who thinks they are superior....i too think they should learn english and try and fit in with local culture...but as one who has struggled to learn local languages i can tell you it is not easy for someone over 40 to become fluent...it requires many years of hard work......i love the fact that canada has so many different faces.....foods....cultures and accents.......sure some immigrants cause problems.... have a different and sometimes abrasive attitude ....big deal....get over it....

Unfortunately, high school dropout idiots lke Gary Joak will always shoot off their ignorant mouths.

Anonymous

Quotethe one caveat i have is regarding all the muslim immigrants that arrive each year....i know lots of them, have worked with lots of muslims.....have never had a problem with any one.....but there is a little voice in my head that says....at some point we will pay a price for this...i hope that is not true

I too share your concern about Islam. That ideology is incompatible with liberal Western values. Let's be honest here, the Quran IS a hate book.

People that openly declare they follow the teachings of that hate literature should not be given a travel visa for Canada let alone be allowed to immigrate here.

Anonymous

Very interesting thoughts you have posted here about the immigrant experience Obvious Li..

My family are immigrants and we have tried to integrate while maintaining our Taiwanese cultural heritage..

My parents can speak English, but they would prefer to speak Mandarin or the Taiwanese dialect..

With immigration, I feel the real benefit to Canada comes with the second generation which speaks native level English and is fully bicultural.

Gary Oak

You morons. I never said that I am against immigration. I speak fluent Cantonese and mandarin and know all too well how alarmed Chinese immigrants get when they find out I speak Chinese ( especially  Cantonese ) while Filipinos love it that I speak tagalog. I also speak Indonesian and and if the Indonesians and Malaysian that I have met that are here also really liked that I speak bahasa . Canada needs immigrants but those who come here and support their religion or nation taking over and see  Canada and Canadians as a people and country to cheat quite simply I believe donèt deserve Canadian citizenship. I like having Filipinos everywhere. They make superior immigrants. They like Canada, Canadians and want to be Canadian.

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Gary Oak"You morons. I never said that I am against immigration. I speak fluent Cantonese and mandarin and know all too well how alarmed Chinese immigrants get when they find out I speak Chinese ( especially  Cantonese ) while Filipinos love it that I speak tagalog. I also speak Indonesian and and if the Indonesians and Malaysian that I have met that are here also really liked that I speak bahasa . Canada needs immigrants but those who come here and support their religion or nation taking over and see  Canada and Canadians as a people and country to cheat quite simply I believe donèt deserve Canadian citizenship. I like having Filipinos everywhere. They make superior immigrants. They like Canada, Canadians and want to be Canadian.

in principle i agree with you about immigrants who come here and cheat the system.......however, i blame the current situation on weak and cowardly government officials and laws that have no enforcement capabilities...in my experience race has no currency when it comes to cheating the system...it is up to the people we elect to ensure the opportunities to cheat are minimal and when cheaters are caught dealt with appropriately......we do not do that now.... :ugeek:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"
Quote from: "Gary Oak"You morons. I never said that I am against immigration. I speak fluent Cantonese and mandarin and know all too well how alarmed Chinese immigrants get when they find out I speak Chinese ( especially  Cantonese ) while Filipinos love it that I speak tagalog. I also speak Indonesian and and if the Indonesians and Malaysian that I have met that are here also really liked that I speak bahasa . Canada needs immigrants but those who come here and support their religion or nation taking over and see  Canada and Canadians as a people and country to cheat quite simply I believe donèt deserve Canadian citizenship. I like having Filipinos everywhere. They make superior immigrants. They like Canada, Canadians and want to be Canadian.

in principle i agree with you about immigrants who come here and cheat the system.......however, i blame the current situation on weak and cowardly government officials and laws that have no enforcement capabilities...in my experience race has no currency when it comes to cheating the system...it is up to the people we elect to ensure the opportunities to cheat are minimal and when cheaters are caught dealt with appropriately......we do not do that now.... :ugeek:

I don't know how widespread abuse is, but I don't believe race has anything to do with it..

If there are more people from China and India who breaching the spirit of our immigration rules, it is only because they are the two most populous nations in the world.

Anonymous

In all fairness to the feds they have made changes to the refugee system. Does it go far enough? No, but it is more than previous governments have done to right an invitation for abuse.

RW

My brother speaks Mandarin fluently and I've never seen or heard of any Chinese person upset about it Gary.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"My brother speaks Mandarin fluently and I've never seen or heard of any Chinese person upset about it Gary.

It must have made life much easier for him when he was in China Real Woman?

Gary Oak

Well Real Woman proved whe was a clueless wonder when she found it impossible to find out that what I wrote about who the Qing represent in the tongs oaths and rituals.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Gary Oak"Well Real Woman proved whe was a clueless wonder when she found it impossible to find out that what I wrote about who the Qing represent in the tongs oaths and rituals.

All she said was her brother learned to Speak Mandarin when he was in China. Tens of thousands of expats have done the same thing.

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Gary Oak"Well Real Woman proved whe was a clueless wonder when she found it impossible to find out that what I wrote about who the Qing represent in the tongs oaths and rituals.

All she said was her brother learned to Speak Mandarin when he was in China. Tens of thousands of expats have done the same thing.

wish i could......bloody hard for some of us............ :ugeek:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"

wish i could......bloody hard for some of us............ :ugeek:

Can you speak Han Gul OL?