Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

A

Edmonton Radio Station Asks If Rape Victims Partly Responsib

Started by Anonymous, April 11, 2014, 12:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 4 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

It's 2014 and a radio station is asking listeners do women share responsibility if they become victims of rape?? :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Unfucking believable!!
QuoteA controversial poll question from an Edmonton radio station sparked outrage on social media Thursday, with quick online responses coming from hundreds, including some Edmonton-area MLAs.

In a poll posted Thursday morning on the 630 CHED website, this question was posed to Edmontonians: "It's very controversial but do you think victims of sexual assaults share any blame for what happens?"

Two responses were posted for the poll – one said "no – women should be able to dress, drink and walk as they choose without fear of being blamed" while the other said "yes – if women drink too much, dress too little or walk in harms way they put themselves at risk".

The same question was also tweeted from the station's Twitter account.

It wasn't long before Twitter erupted with a backlash against the poll question from hundreds of Edmontonians, then local MLAs weighed in.

Thomas Lukaszuk, Edmonton-Castledowns MLA and Minister of Jobs, Skills Training and Labour first tweeted the radio station asking if their account had been hacked.

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/sparks-fly-over-rape-culture-poll-from-edmonton-radio-station-1.1770246">http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/sparks-fly-o ... -1.1770246">http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/sparks-fly-over-rape-culture-poll-from-edmonton-radio-station-1.1770246

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"What's wrong with asking the question?

Are victims to blame? It's so bloody offensive.

RW

What is offensive about asking about it?  People actually think that they are.  I wouldn't say said radio station believes it.  What's the problem exactly?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"What is offensive about asking about it?  People actually think that they are.  I wouldn't say said radio station believes it.  What's the problem exactly?

I see it in the same vein as asking if the people of Nanjing were responsible for what we refer to as the Asian holocaust.

RW

The topic comes up all the time though with people making comments about women being blamed because they dress like sluts and get hammered.  Why not put it out there in the open for all to see how many people possibly think that way?  

Why condemn someone for starting the discussion?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"The topic comes up all the time though with people making comments about women being blamed because they dress like sluts and get hammered. Why not put it out there in the open for all to see how many people possibly think that way?  

I know there are Neanderthals that STILL blame women when they are victims of rape. I find it so incredibly offensive and it seems like a fair number of Edmontonians feel the same.

It's a good thing I don't listen to CHED 630 because I would be boycotting the insensitive pricks.

RW

Okay, so shouldn't we be addressing the neanderthals who think women are to blame for rape rather than boycotting a radio station for discussing it?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"Okay, so shouldn't we be addressing the neanderthals who think women are to blame for rape rather than boycotting a radio station for discussing it?

I'll answer a question with a question RW. What do you think the reaction from Toronto's large Jewish community would be if a radio station did a poll asking if the holocaust was a myth? Perhaps, a different poll asking if the holocaust happened, but Jews were partly to blame for undermining Germany's economy? My guess is they would quickly drop the poll and apologize.

Renee

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Real Woman"The topic comes up all the time though with people making comments about women being blamed because they dress like sluts and get hammered. Why not put it out there in the open for all to see how many people possibly think that way?  

I know there are Neanderthals that STILL blame women when they are victims of rape. I find it so incredibly offensive and it seems like a fair number of Edmontonians feel the same.

It's a good thing I don't listen to CHED 630 because I would be boycotting the insensitive pricks.

Shen if you walk down the street in a bad neighborhood, half naked and stoned off your ass and then get assaulted; don't you feel that you should share a wee bit of personal responsibility for what happens?  I'm not saying it's right if you get assaulted or that you deserve it but when you do something stupid isn't it your own fault if it turns bad?

You know you do have to be aware that there are some real scumbags out there and you do have to take responsibility for protecting yourself from them. No one else is going to do it for you.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Gary Oak

A source in China told me that Chinese girls are kidnapped and raped by the triads. Once they have them they sell them to spy networks who use them to get information from Canada so they can steal more technology from us.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "Real Woman"Okay, so shouldn't we be addressing the neanderthals who think women are to blame for rape rather than boycotting a radio station for discussing it?

I'll answer a question with a question RW. What do you think the reaction from Toronto's large Jewish community would be if a radio station did a poll asking if the holocaust was a myth? Perhaps, a different poll asking if the holocaust happened, but Jews were partly to blame for undermining Germany's economy? My guess is they would quickly drop the poll and apologize.

I'm well aware of the sensitivity around specific issues.  I just don't agree that we shouldn't be discussing these things.  Should we pretend no one blames the victim?  Should we ignore attitudes we don't like on prevalent issues?  How do we have a dialogue when someone says something we don't find acceptable gets a boot crammed down his/her throat?
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "Renee"

Shen if you walk down the street in a bad neighborhood, half naked and stoned off your ass and then get assaulted; don't you feel that you should share a wee bit of personal responsibility for what happens?  I'm not saying it's right if you get assaulted or that you deserve it but when you do something stupid isn't it your own fault if it turns bad?

You know you do have to be aware that there are some real scumbags out there and you do have to take responsibility for protecting yourself from them. No one else is going to do it for you.

I think it's time that we stop with the "no one has the right to rape you" spiel and start talking about how to reduce victimization / protect yourself better.  In the current climate it seems we can't have THAT discussion because some moron will consider it to be blaming the victim.  The thing is, if you don't get victimized, there is no victim!
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"

I'm well aware of the sensitivity around specific issues. I just don't agree that we shouldn't be discussing these things.  Should we pretend no one blames the victim?  Should we ignore attitudes we don't like on prevalent issues?  How do we have a dialogue when someone says something we don't find acceptable gets a boot crammed down his/her throat?

Bingo and that is my whole point RW. If I owned a radio station and one of my jocks or program director came up with something that could lead to a boycott of my station, I'm afraid the person responsible will be looking for new employment.

You and I both know, there are certain things that are NOT allowed to be brought up in discussion. If a politician did this, their career would be toast.