Replies: 10378
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 05:35:39 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

A

McDonald's paying foreign workers more than Canadians

Started by Anonymous, April 15, 2014, 09:23:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 4 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"
Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Obvious Li"i'm thinking the owners of Brothers restaurant in Weyburn SK. will be keeping a low profile for a while.....that is old style reform country........a city not on Justins future book signing tour...... :ugeek:

McDonald's is ordering some kind of change to how their franchisees recruit foreign labour. I find it hard to believe that fast food joints in Sask and Alberta will rely on locals any time soon to meet their labour needs.

agreed.....i reference this one case as it is a single entity owner business that laid off a 30 year and an 18 year employee and replaced them with Filipinos...the locals in small town weyburn bitch enough now that they have to repeat their order of pancakes to some non english speaking "mud" person...so i suspect they locals will not look kindly on their friends being replaced by dark faces...Macdonalds in general stated tonight on the news it is going ahead full steam with its TWP hiring policies.......i have mixed feelings about it all...the company i work for hires a lot of Filipino TFWs....they ALL end up staying in canada and bringing their families here......that is good....i like that part of the program......but the owners here get hundreds of applications from local kids.....they just throw them in the garbage and never respond.

That is terrible Obvious Li.

:(

Romero

Quote from: "Shen Li"McDonald's is ordering some kind of change to how their franchisees recruit foreign labour. I find it hard to believe that fast food joints in Sask and Alberta will rely on locals any time soon to meet their labour needs.

McDonald's is putting a hold on the program and conducting a third party audit. Good news. Thanks, CBC!

I saw last night that McDonald's was sticking a bunch of foreign workers into an apartment and deducting rent from their paychecks.

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Romero"
Quote from: "Shen Li"McDonald's is ordering some kind of change to how their franchisees recruit foreign labour. I find it hard to believe that fast food joints in Sask and Alberta will rely on locals any time soon to meet their labour needs.

McDonald's is putting a hold on the program and conducting a third party audit. Good news. Thanks, CBC!

I saw last night that McDonald's was sticking a bunch of foreign workers into an apartment and deducting rent from their paychecks.

stop watching the CBC homy...those fuckers are insane.......part of the TFW program requires the business to provide a certain number of hours, transportation and housing...they do that here too...each TFW has so many guaranteed hours and is given staff housing and rent is deducted each month.... :ugeek:

Romero

The Conservative government watched the CBC investigation and are now looking into why Canadians are losing their jobs and why foreign workers are being exploited.

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Romero"The Conservative government watched the CBC investigation and are now looking into why Canadians are losing their jobs and why foreign workers are being exploited.

oh ya homy.........i'm sure Harper is glued to the CBC on a daily basis......hahahahahaha

Anonymous

Nothing wrong with deducting rent from employer owned housing. The two big beef packing houses in Alberta do that to their out of province hires. Also not uncommon  with construction workers hired out of province.

The problem with the TFW program is SOME employers abuse the system to discriminate against Canadians.

Romero

QuoteForeign workers recruited from Belize are accusing McDonald's Canada of treating them like "slaves," by effectively forcing them to share an expensive apartment – then deducting almost half their take-home pay as rent.

The Belizians worked at McDonald's locations in south Edmonton and said it took them more than an hour to get to work by public transit.

Five workers paying $280 bi-weekly works out to $3,030 per month. That suggests McDonald's charged them $600 more for rent than what it paid.

Employment Minister Jason Kenney told Go Public if the workers felt coerced to rent a place they didn't want to live in, that would warrant investigation.

"No one, including an employer, can force anyone to live in a particular place. People are free to choose where they live," said Kenney, whose department said it is looking into this case.

"It doesn't matter whether they are a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or temporary resident, they have full mobility rights. And if any employer is somehow using ways to coerce people to stay in a particular place that would be illegal."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/mcdonald-s-foreign-workers-call-it-slavery-1.2612659">//http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/mcdonald-s-foreign-workers-call-it-slavery-1.2612659

Anonymous

QuoteForeign workers recruited from Belize are accusing McDonald's Canada of treating them like "slaves," by effectively forcing them to share an expensive apartment – then deducting almost half their take-home pay as rent.

The Belizians worked at McDonald's locations in south Edmonton and said it took them more than an hour to get to work by public transit.

Five workers paying $280 bi-weekly works out to $3,030 per month. That suggests McDonald's charged them $600 more for rent than what it paid.

Employment Minister Jason Kenney told Go Public if the workers felt coerced to rent a place they didn't want to live in, that would warrant investigation.

"No one, including an employer, can force anyone to live in a particular place. People are free to choose where they live," said Kenney, whose department said it is looking into this case.

"It doesn't matter whether they are a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or temporary resident, they have full mobility rights. And if any employer is somehow using ways to coerce people to stay in a particular place that would be illegal."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/mcdonald-s-foreign-workers-call-it-slavery-1.2612659">//http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/mcdonald-s-foreign-workers-call-it-slavery-1.2612659

If they were in fact paying more than Edmonton market rate for rent then why didn't they move? They are not forced to live in employer owned housing.

Romero

Quote"They actually said even if we leave the apartment and go rent another apartment, that McDonald's would still deduct the rent from our salary," said the other worker.

Anonymous

Quote"They actually said even if we leave the apartment and go rent another apartment, that McDonald's would still deduct the rent from our salary," said the other worker.

That is illegal and since they didn't actually make an effort to find a place of their own we have no way of knowing if that is true or not. Lots of Filipina TFW's around Edmonton have found their own housing and some of them even work at Mickey D's.