The best topic

Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

Ontario Teacher's Union holds white privilege workshop

Started by Gary Oak, October 03, 2014, 03:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

RW

I just think if the PC crowd wants to place PC games they should be a little more PC.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"I just think if the PC crowd wants to place PC games they should be a little more PC.

I have no problem with adults discussing this or anything else. What I have a problem with is bringing this divisive shit into a classroom full of kiddies.

Just so you know RW, I do believe there is white privilege. I don't think it is some sinister plot to keep minorities down, but as subtle as it is, I believe it is there. It wasn't any of the example Romero gave and in fact it may be all in my own mind. The way I believe it exists has no definitive way to measure it.

Romero

Quote from: "Real Woman"So racism = white privilege?

No, an example of white privilege would be the fact that whites don't have to deal with the racism that non-whites often encounter. Or not being discriminated against when applying for a job or shopping at a store. It could be considered being privileged.

Romero

Quote from: "Shen Li"I have no problem with adults discussing this or anything else. What I have a problem with is bringing this divisive shit into a classroom full of kiddies.

Just so you know RW, I do believe there is white privilege. I don't think it is some sinister plot to keep minorities down, but as subtle as it is, I believe it is there. It wasn't any of the example Romero gave and in fact it may be all in my own mind. The way I believe it exists has no definitive way to measure it.

They're not bringing it into the classroom. They're just discussing it like they do with other issues.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"
Quote from: "Shen Li"I have no problem with adults discussing this or anything else. What I have a problem with is bringing this divisive shit into a classroom full of kiddies.

Just so you know RW, I do believe there is white privilege. I don't think it is some sinister plot to keep minorities down, but as subtle as it is, I believe it is there. It wasn't any of the examples Romero gave and in fact it may be all in my own mind. The way I believe it exists has no definitive way to measure it.

They're not bringing it into the classroom. They're just discussing it like they do with other issues.

A teacher's union plans won't bring the takeaway from their workshop into the classroom eh?  ac_toofunny

Romero

Not the way you're thinking it. They're not going to make anyone feel guilty or demonize little girls.

It could be a topic for older students when discussing racial issues.

They're just having a workshop on it. They're not setting it as some agenda.

RW

Quote from: "Romero"
Quote from: "Real Woman"So racism = white privilege?

No, an example of white privilege would be the fact that whites don't have to deal with the racism that non-whites often encounter. Or not being discriminated against when applying for a job or shopping at a store. It could be considered being privileged.

I've been discriminated against when applying for a job and shopping at a store.  Am I now no longer "white privileged"?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"Not the way you're thinking it. They're not going to make anyone feel guilty or demonize little girls.

It could be a topic for older students when discussing racial issues.

They're just having a workshop on it. They're not setting it as some agenda.

How would you feel about a workshop on female privilege? We live longer, far less likely to stopped by the cops and denied entrance anywhere? Should this shit be brought into public school classrooms? if you do it for one group, you have to be fair to all. Whip up hatred among all kids I say.

Romero

Quote from: "Real Woman"I've been discriminated against when applying for a job and shopping at a store.  Am I now no longer "white privileged"?

Was it because you're white?

Does it happen all the time?

RW

Yes and does it need to happen all the time?

I've faced barriers as a woman as well.  Do I live in a world of male privilege too?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Obvious Li

unions have no business bringing their politics into the workplace or classrooms...nor should they be allowed to participate in these kind of "workshops" .....spending members money for what purpose??? union dues are to be used for the "benefit" of union members...not to promote a top down political agenda to the members using their dues

Renee

Quote from: "Real Woman"Yes and does it need to happen all the time?

I've faced barriers as a woman as well.  Do I live in a world of male privilege too?

Hey I'm a woman and I'm overweight. Studies show that overweight women are routinely discriminated against on the job, in school and in social settings. I guess I live not only in a world of "male privilege" but in a world of "thin privilege" as well.

It's not that Romero is "missing the point"; he is dancing around it. Nothing new here.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Romero

QuoteOf course, if Blizzard or Sun TV bothered to do a simple fact check before freaking out and making declarations about imaginary race wars breaking out in Ontario's grade school classrooms, they'd realize initiatives like these are really about making schools more inclusive and reducing barriers to academic success for tens of thousands of students.

The workshop in question is a voluntary service offered to ETFO locals as a part of its Equity and Women's Services. The program provides educators with resources and best-practices on dealing with issues relating to human rights, disabilities, violence against women, or discrimination towards GLBTQ and Muslim communities, issues that -- surprise, surprise -- some teachers in some schools in some communities in Ontario might encounter everyday in their classrooms.

Rather than encouraging elementary school teachers to chase white people out into the woods with pitchforks, the workshop, titled "re-thinking white privilege," is meant to encourage "dialogue and courageous conversations about white privilege and other professional forms of privilege."

Because, you know, just a wild guess here: maybe some teachers encounter issues of racial inequality in their day-to-day exchanges with students and parents?

So, despite what you may have read in the Toronto Sun or heard on Sun TV, you can relax: programs like these promote inclusion, not race wars.

http://www.pressprogress.ca/en/post/four-white-people-sun-tv-explain-myth-white-privilege-person-who-isnt-white">//http://www.pressprogress.ca/en/post/four-white-people-sun-tv-explain-myth-white-privilege-person-who-isnt-white

Oh noes! They're going to be discussing women and gays too! The horror!

RW

Did you need a news article to tell you that Ro?  Whenever I read stories like these, I identify the missing information (like everything about this seminar that isn't the title) and find out what it's about.  I knew what you just posted days ago.

The point being missed is if you want to discuss inclusion you don't start off on the foot of alienation.  It's not okay if you do it to any racial group including whites.  I'd like to see you have the same PC rabidity for Caucasians as you seem to for everyone else.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Romero

Quote from: "Real Woman"Did you need a news article to tell you that Ro?

Nope, that's for you and anyone else!